Get dialling: do you make phone calls?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Tizfata

Get dialling: do you make phone calls?

Post by Tizfata »

Very recently I noticed that some sites (HL and RyanairRentals I think) strongly recommend to call after receiving an enquiry. :?
I have never done that... English is not my 1st language, even I am used to get and make phone calls to England for my other job, I always think "what if it is the wrong time?" , "what if he/she has a strong accent I am not used to" , "what if he/she sent a million enquiries and is confused about who I am...".
Yesterday evening a Spanish lady called me talking in Spanish and I was able to answer correctly but I was sweating (trying desperately to remember if a "sala de estar" was the living room or the dining room, I decided it was the living room but was clueless about how to say dining room, then I went for "sala por comer" :oops: ) even if it was cold outside (and I was in a car!)...
I manage to speak some languages (most of them not so good) but, now that I am thinking better, I would not even call an Italian...
So, what is your M.O.?
Cheerio!
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I just couldn't do it, although I can see the conversion rate would increase; makes me uncomfortable even thinking about it.

MG
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I used to call guests who seemed sure they wanted to book, to get their credit card details, but I stopped quite quickly because the reaction tended to be very surprised. These days I only phone if the email address doesn't work (i.e. the enquirer has mistyped it) but the phone number does work.

Also, most people now prefer to give their credit card details over the phone but I still get them to phone me, so that they can choose a time which is convenient to them. If they are in the UK, they have my UK mobile number to call. I have just (reluctantly!) set up Skype and have set it to reroute calls to my German landline, where they get rerouted to my German mobile. I have yet to see if this works or if the rerouting takes too long. But at least that way, anyone in the world can call me for nothing and I just pay a small monthly charge to Skype plus the cost of rerouting to my mobile.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I don't call. I've been left messages on a couple of occasions from French people, who ask me to call them back. I always do so, but not without a lot of worrying first. I even write down what I have to say, but it always goes pear-shaped. On one occasion, I got a small child who said his mother wasn't there, and just put down the phone.
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

HelenB wrote:it always goes pear-shaped
:lol: I KNOW what you mean!
Once I had to call in Sweden because the lady forgot to write the dates :roll: and I was stunned & relieved that the child I was talking to was able to speak very good English & give the message to mum!
Obviously they though my prices were too high (despite not being high and being displayed on HL site) and stayed at home/went somewhere else :cry:
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
Fifi

Post by Fifi »

I only call if there is a problem with an email address, or if they leave me a phone message which needs a response. I wouldn't dream of following up a email enquiry with a phone call - a bit too much like selling double-glazing. I will send a chasing email if I get an enquiry for a set of dates, and then get another one soon after - giving the first enquirer first refusal (with a time limit of 24 hours so I don't loose the 2nd booking in the meantime).
People who arrive after 10pm, shouldn't expect a hug.....
pambon

Post by pambon »

Tizfata - English may not be your first language but it's damn good!
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Nope I don't call. Hate it.

Sometimes people (french usually) ask me to call them.

If their initial enquiry shows that they speak good english, then I will call them, but if they struggle with english (I struggle with other languages) I'll send them a text message to say that I dont speak their language very well and if they struggle with english, it's better for us to communicate by text message or email, so that we can both use a translation programme.

I think people like to have a phone number and some contact via phone to prove that you exist and text messaging seems to suffice for this. After that I find that my guests go back to emailing me and I try to use simple english that I translate using google translate. It's not perfect but it helps.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I call if people have contacted me by phone and left a message, I find French people often prefer phoning to email. I wouldn't follow up an email response by a phone call, it smacks of desperation and is too intrusive.
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

la vache! wrote:I call if people have contacted me by phone and left a message, I find French people often prefer phoning to email. I wouldn't follow up an email response by a phone call, it smacks of desperation and is too intrusive.
Wow! I'm really surprised at this thread! I always call, when possible. I hadn't considered that people may think it "smacks of desperation" (although they might :? ). In my (limited!)experience people appreciate the effort made to call. I like to "connect" with the potential guests and feel that I can do that better by call than email. Most of our guests to date are English or Irish, so communication isn't a problem. I recently got an email enquiry from France and although my spoken French is good, I felt more comfortable replying by email. They had rang me before I completed the mail and confirmed the booking by phone!
The "intrusive" point is a valid one. I tend to call very soon after receiving the email enquiry and I think that limits the intrusiveness- it's not like cold-call selling.
I'll follow this thread with interest. It's another case of different strokes for different folks :D
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

We feel that is best to fit in with the preference of the enquirer. If their preference is to speak, they will call you. If their preference is visual they will email you.

We would never ring someone up who has not asked us to call. I would personally find that quite intrusive if it happened to me.

Some potential guests are desperate to speak to you, even from the USA to UK. I guess those folk want to get a feel for you and the place in a way that cannot easily be done by email.

I would say follow the preference of the customer… don’t impose your own preference.
Marks

Post by Marks »

If an enquirer includes their phone number then that, to me, says they don't mind being called. I only call between 10am and 7pm (local time to the enquirer) and never before 11am at weekends.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I used to think the same, Marks; but many listing sites have the phone number as a "mandatory field" before the enquiry can be submitted, so it may not be quite as voluntary as you think.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

e-richard wrote:I used to think the same, Marks; but many listing sites have the phone number as a "mandatory field" before the enquiry can be submitted, so it may not be quite as voluntary as you think.
Exactly - for me it is a safety backup if they mis type their email address, for example. Except for that, I would never phone them.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I have always felt awkward about phoning, for all the reasons listed here, but sometimes I have felt I needed to: for example when I have received a text alert and know I can't get to my computer for a few hours or if my connection is down. I always start by giving them the reference of the property then explaining why I have called rather than emailing. I tell them that I will confirm our discussion (prices, availability, answers to any specific questions) by email as soon as I have access to an internet connection.

I have never had a negative reaction and I believe that in a couple of cases it has resulted in a booking which I might not otherwise have secured (helps us stand out from the crowd, perhaps). This has led me to feel I ought to do it more often but so far I am still reluctant!

:roll: :roll: :roll:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com