A group of 12 sixteen year olds!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
KathyG

A group of 12 sixteen year olds!

Post by KathyG »

I've just had an enquiry for a group of 12 sixteen year olds :shock: all wanting to get together before they go their separate ways. Luckily I took a booking just today for that very week. :D

However, I do have availability later in the month that they might now request. Would I be completely and utterly mad to take it? Anyone got any experience of a load of 16 yr olds?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
A-two

Post by A-two »

The definition of a child in the US is anyone under 18 yrs of age. If your place were in the US, and you went ahead with this, almost certainly you would be arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a child, along with all their parents. You could also expect several reporters at the police station waiting for you to make bail, and your photo on the front page of a local newspaper as well as on the local evening TV news. You cannot rent to children and children cannot sign a legal contract. I would also not accept any offers of parental guarantees either. The act of renting your home to children knowing there is not going to be any adult supervision on site would still be considered an act of endangering a child. Even if their own parents agree to it, you would still be responsible, because you not only allowed it to happen, you took money for it. Quite likely here you would end up doing some jail time, at least a week or two, as well as getting hefty fine and criminal record. You don't need to make excuses, just tell them they are too young to rent on their own. Enough said.
Waves from America
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

The thought of leaving a group of 16 yr olds (I am thinking of those that I know personally) in my holiday home makes me shudder and as much as I trust them to not want to cause trouble they are NOT in any way able to manage any situation that could get out of hand without proper adult supervision.
I think that it would always be reasonable even if it's not already mentioned in your T&C's that in the absence of an adult you cannot accept this reservation. It would also be wise to check your insurance coverage as it might be invalidated if there is no 18+ or 21+ adult present.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Funny, was it from Lauren? I had one in my inbox too, but for 24 people. I'm already booked for the week she requested anyway.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I did once inadvertently rent to 8 x 17 yr olds all getting together to celebrate an 18th and get together before they all seperated off (St Martins college, Sandhurst, Barbados and the like!).

I never ask for ages so got caught out. Having said that they were fine...a little messy as I'm sure they didn't know how to use a dishwasher or a brush but they responded to a slight ticking off when they got a little too noisy in the pool one night at midnight.

I'm still intouch with someof them now and I know they treasure the memories of the holiday. They say they want to return but I think they're in a different league to our place now and are only being kind.

If I had known the ages beforehand though kathy I wouldn't have rented to them...even though I'm on-site.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Yes it was Lauren LV! This is what she said: "I was just querying this property whether it would be available and whether you would allow the group to be of the age of sixteen. Due to us wanting to go on holiday as a group before we all go our separate ways. I would also like to add that we would be responsible and would take great consideration in your property. I would appreciate your reply soon as I know this may get booked up quickly. Many thanks," The language is very slightly suspicious too, although she might be just trying to sound grown-up.

A2 - the laws in the USA are shocking! No idea whether I could be slung in jail for 'endangering' these kids' welfare but I take your point.

OK, think I've got enough reasons to refuse this booking now, thanks!
Kathy
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Katie,

I'm guessing that this is the sort of group who would traditionally (recent tradition that is!) rent a place in Rock or Newquay, but can't find anywhere left that will take them so they are having to cast their net further afield, like Brittany...

:shock:

The words barge and pole spring to mind

(PS I have nothing against 16 year olds - my son will be one in June - but no way would I have them in my property without supervision (preferably one-to-one supervision!) :lol:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

slight TC
I'm guessing that this is the sort of group who would traditionally (recent tradition that is!) rent a place in Rock or Newquay, but can't find anywhere left that will take them so they are having to cast their net further afield, like Brittany...
That's interesting NC...are places in that area clamping down on youngsters?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Mouse wrote:are places in that area clamping down on youngsters?
I've no idea, but I remember all the negative publicity from last year.

I appears to be "de rigueur" nowadays for 16 year olds (mostly from London independent schools I think, but I could be wrong), to go on their own to Cornwall in June after finishing their GCSE's and causing havoc...

I'm just guessing that local businesses are not planning to welcome them back with open arms.

PS my son hasn't ever mentioned the possibility that he might want to go there - but then he goes to the local comprehensive in Heathfield and has no trust fund so I'm guessing (hoping!) he won't... :lol:
pambon

Post by pambon »

The terms stated in my T & C's say that no minor under eighteen years of age is allowed unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

Definitely putting yourself at risk in accepting......
Ju

Post by Ju »

16 is definately still a child in France. You can't work until 18, you have to be in full time education (or apprentiship) and I'm pretty sure you couldn't legally sign a rental contract.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

It's a sad untrusting world that a)criminalises you b)assumes that these 16 year olds are going to burn the house down and c) has no faith in youth.

That said, you'd be mad to rent to them unless you take a hefty breakages deposit (hypocracy, i know).

Why not refer them to the local Youth hostel, they'll save a fortune and you wont lose nights of sleep over the worry about your fixtures, fittings, doorframes, carpets etc...
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Don Ciccio wrote:It's a sad untrusting world that a)criminalises you b)assumes that these 16 year olds are going to burn the house down and c) has no faith in youth.
Don Ciccio,
I'm guessing that you live in Sicily and are not aware of the new phenomenon of 16 year olds descending on Cornwall en masse immediately after their GCSEs.
The UK papers were full of it the last few summers:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/5797351 ... wrong.html
and
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/famil ... asion.html

I don't think they would want to stay in the local youth hostel unfortunately :(
A-two

Post by A-two »

Don Ciccio wrote:It's a sad untrusting world that a)criminalises you b)assumes that these 16 year olds are going to burn the house down and c) has no faith in youth.
I completely disagree. There's nothing sad about a society that wants to protect its' children. To say that there is no faith or trust in a society which holds adults responsible for supervising children is no more true than saying that a society which doesn't hold adults responsible for taking care of their children doesn't care about them. Neither statement is true.

Since the offense is "endangering the welfare of a child", then it's fairly safe to assume it's purpose is to protect children from stupid adults, rather than trying to protect children from themselves. Maybe we have more of them here than anywhere else, but I doubt it.

Regardless of the legal issues, it would be a very rare 16 year old who would know how to take care of a stranger's house safely, and the more of them together, the less likely they are to even think about it, let alone care. Even owners who are on site are not suggesting this is a good idea.
That said, you'd be mad to rent to them unless you take a hefty breakages deposit (hypocracy, i know)
Breakages would be the least of my concerns. Only recently I turned up to my house after the guests had checked out to find the house thermostat turned up to to 95F (sauna), with an outside door left ajar, and a stack of trash bags piled up against the furnace that was going full blast to keep up to temperature. Stupid and dangerous. Those were adults. Stupid adults have children too.

This may sound harsh, but I think anyone who considers renting to a group of 16 yr olds with no chaperone in tow needs to take off their rose tinted spectacles and get real. I could never forgive myself if anything happened to someone else's child because I allowed them to stay in my house unsupervised, and that's what you have to think about first, then second, call your insurance company to find out if you would be insured in that situation. I bet you're not.
Waves from America
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Well luckily they haven't come back to me with any further enquiries..... :D
Kathy