A group of 12 sixteen year olds!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

My father was prejudiced against the entire Japanese nation......I wouldn’t have felt the same if I’d experienced the brutality that he saw

Jimbo, can we assume this is related to the 2nd World War? I assume nothing as frivolous as Tokyo's office workers' rush hours.

Many of my parents' friends were interned in the various Far Eastern Japanese concentration camps, and as a kid I was always impressed by the lack of bitterness about their treatment.

Brits, of course, invented concentration camps, a fact which is often brushed under the carpet.

MG
jane reed

Post by jane reed »

i have just had my daughter and friends party in my house and sleep over 22 seventeen year olds.
I went out for the evening, yes the house was a mess. They did clean up, not to my standard but they made an effort.
i told them all i was coming back to check during the evening but didn't bother as i trust my daughter but would i trust any other teenagers NO WAY.

The reason these teenagers want to hire a cottage and party is because their parents will not let them party in their home, because they would not respect it.

I am off to recycle all the empties now.
Smile and the world smiles back
(some days its a grimace,but customers do not know)
J&J

Post by J&J »

Exactly Jane! There ARE goody goody teenagers who do the washing up at home and clean the bathroom, but I am not sure they are the ones who want to go away with friends to an unsupervised cottage!
The reason most teenagers want to hire such a place is to get away from authority, so we can guess what is going to happen.

Your comment about your daughter not clearing up "to the required standard" is very true. Our group did spend time clearing up and were very proud to show us their efforts, but until you have had a place of your own I don't think youngsters have any idea what is involved.

Judith
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

After my youngest son's 18th party , which was a pirate party in February, I came downstairs the following morning expecting to find a total pigsty, but was met by several people with mops and buckets, cleaning the muddy floors. They'd all been out in the garden at one point, round the firepit. Thank god I don't have carpets, and thank god he has such good friends. I picked up a bin liner, and started clearing the paper plates and stuff off the table, someone took it off me, and continued until it was all in the bin. It was a different matter with my eldest, and I don't think I would have let either of them go away at 16 to cause havoc in someone else's
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

My Father also spent time in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. Generally, his stay was never much discussed or only mentioned on a superficial level. Bitterness was never apparent.

However on the very rare occasion that he allowed his feelings to surface it was clear that every atrocity was still very keenly felt, especially for those atrocities carried out on the poor souls that didn't survive.

He had nothing against the younger generation of Japanese but felt very bitter towards his own generation.

Sorry for the thread creep. Just needed to say that.
Windy

Post by Windy »

and nobody has any right to use your home for a party, regardless of their age
I'm confused by that statement.

Surely once somebody has paid you good money to rent your property they can do with it what they wish within reason (unless you particularly specify in your contract with them that they may not).

If they don't upset the neighbours and don't leave the place damaged or in a mess, whyever would they not have the right to use your home for a party?

(And how do you define "a party" anyway?)
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Bellywobble wrote:
He had nothing against the younger generation of Japanese but felt very bitter towards his own generation.

We used a professional photographic wholesaler in the UK during the 1980s and '90s. The Japanese company Fuji was making significant inroads into American Kodak’s traditional business at that time, with excellent materials. Oddly, our wholesaler refused to stock Fuji and, when we queried this, the owner sent a touching and courteous hand-written letter briefly detailing his experiences in WW2 and explaining why these had lead him to his Fuji embargo. We compromised by ordering our Fuji materials (a lot!) from elsewhere but continuing to use the original company for the rest of our needs.

I can only guess at the commercial impact of the owner's decision but the embargo continued until he retired in the '90s and other family members took the reins. I suppose that we’d all like to believe we could forgive, forget and move on, but I'd guess that you'd have had to have been there to know.

Sorry for thread creep (but an interesting topic).

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

An intelligent close family member (TC continued for a minute longer) detests all Germans. As far as OH and I know, he has never met any, nor does that side of the family have direct experience of suffering at their hands in WWII. :roll:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Maybe sun-lounger disputes on hols, GG?

MG
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: Not even that as far as I know!
olive

Post by olive »

GG, how does he feel about the (UK) royal family?? I know they changed the name to "Windsor", but was that enough?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Last time the matter of Germans was raised swords were nearly drawn, so the subject is verboten!
Carow

Post by Carow »

Hi Katie - You are in Spain right? My question is - who allows their 16 year olds to go abroad on their own and unsupervised?

(I am assuming the enquiry was not local) but from the UK or elsewhere. I would say a firm NO and tell them why: damages, uninvited visitors and general disruption to the neighbours.

Best regards
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I'm in France Carow. And luckily they haven't come back to me for a 2nd set of dates but I have plenty of ammunition if they do - I'll just show them this thread! :roll:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Another excuse - car essential for the location of the property, none of them will have driving licenses at age 16.