Please cast an eye over my site

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
SharkHunter

Please cast an eye over my site

Post by SharkHunter »

Hi guys, after the good little bits of info on my lettings ad, i wondered if people would be interested in viewing my own website created with Sandvox on my mac.

Any comments appreciated

www.casabrancogrande.com

Paul
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Naturally the fridge / freezer is a big one. A big fridge is a holiday must-have to chill your beer and your wine. Small details can make all the difference ...
If you've ever wondered if spending time/money on good quality photography will distance you from your competitors, a quick blast through this attractive site should dispel lingering doubts. From the two lead pictures which leap off the page, through the well-shot interiors (white on white - can be a nightmare) to the comprehensive set of fascinating location pictures, which can be rattled through at pace, everything is spot on.

Impressive stuff, Sally and Paul.

Jim
Garri

Post by Garri »

Agree with you there about the photos, Jimbo.

An acceptable site for what it is but the dead space to the right of the photo on this page would be best filled with some bullet points highlighting the features:

http://www.casabrancogrande.com/about_the_casa.html
SharkHunter

Post by SharkHunter »

Many thanks for the compliments,

Holiday Pad, i've had a look at the page you mention and you're right, there is a gap. It should be filled by another photo that for some reason is not loading.

Hopefully this will be rectified in the next hour or so.

Can I ask, how do you get a google page rank and is this important? Currently I'm at 0 and have loads of links, keywords etc. I don't understand it

SH
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

Hi Shark (Mr Hunter?)

It's a nice site and I really like the photos. It makes me want to go to the Algarve. On the page rank question, it's important but only one factor that Google uses to work out your position on a search. How old is the site? Do the links back to the site tell people (and Google) what the site is about?

One thing - I'd recommend making sure your H1 heading is 100% clear about what the site is. Right now it says "CASA BRANCO GRANDE" - so it's not clear if it's a tourist site, a map, a restaurant guide or even a vacation rental!
burdy

Post by burdy »

SharkHunter
Just little points from me

Your rates / availability doesn't load.
It does when you click it but even then, I don't know whether you're charging pounds or euros?

Also the "testimonials" don't appear to be loading correctly

I like your photos though !!

BURDY

On a seperate note, from your website I now know your name, address, postcode, mobile phone number, bank sort code, bank account number, e-mail address, website address.
The only thing I don't know is your date of birth.
I'm wondering whether you are leaving yourself open to identity fraud??
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Hi Paul/Neighbour !

The links on your front page to the map centre on a spot quite a long way away. I'm sure its just a case of adjusting the co-ordinates.

I was naturally nosey to see how close we are :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Annew

Post by Annew »

I like your site very much, the photos are great.

I fully agree with burdy about disclosing full details on a website. I don't supply this information (booking form and bank details) until I have a confirmed reservation - then I email them to the customer. It's probably best not to have this information in the public domain!
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We have had all of that data on our websites for the last 5 years. It works for us. At least people know who we are and how to get hold of us. No wondering whether we really exist. I just looked at the website of a holiday rental owner who followed me on Twitter and was amazed at the lengths they had gone to to avoid having their names mentioned anywhere on the website. It simply made me wonder 'why not?' instead of concentrating on their site.
Annew

Post by Annew »

I didn't mean to state that all information should be withheld. Obviously in our business it is necessary to publish name, address, phone number, email details. But is it wise to publish bank account number, account name, sort code, etc, on a public website?

I have been the victim identity theft - it is not pleasant and not easy to undo!
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
yourlamanga
Location: La Manga Del Mar Menor, Costa Calida, Murcia, Spain

Post by yourlamanga »

I don't know much about the technical ins and outs of websites but have had a look and agree that the photos are great, the only one I'm not so keen on it the diningroom shot, it is quite dark. I have found the pages are slow to load and often the tabs need clicked twice (using Google Chrome so perhaps the browser rather than the site :? ), also finding that not all the pictures are loading, again perhaps the browser. I noticed on your list of airlines flying from certain destinations that you state that Flyglobespan fly to Portugal from Edinburgh (my local airport), Flyglobespan went bust a couple of months ago so it may be worth checking if the route has been taken over by another company. :)
"There are two seasons in Scotland: June and winter.” - Billy Connolly

http://www.yourlamanga.com/index.php
http://bit.ly/aGbQ6n - Homelidays
http://bit.ly/c7O4O9 - HR
http://twitter.com/yourlamanga - Twitter