CCTV and Alarm systems

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
neilfaulkes

CCTV and Alarm systems

Post by neilfaulkes »

I recently had a wheelbarrow and bizarrely, a fence go missing. More worryingly, the padlock diasppeared off the main door. As a result I am looking into security systems. I have a few questions.

1) What security systems do you use?
2) What do folks think of the monitored services, such as Securitas or ADT.
3) Does anyone have CCTV onsite and how do guests react when they see it. (or has anyone nor put CCTV on the property because they felt guests may be uncomfortable)

Cheers
Neil
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

If they even nick the padlock, what hope is there? I'm sure they'd collect any accessible cctv cameras too.

Seriously though, if things like fences go walking, you need to talk to the neighbours if you have any nearby and see if they are suffering the same problems. If they are, they might want to cooperate to solve the problem. They might even know who the culprit is.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Mustbemad

CCTV & Alarm systems

Post by Mustbemad »

We have a camera in the living room of our holiday home which pans and tilts so we can see all round the room and across the front garden.

We can access it via the internet from England, just log in and we can see what, if anything is going on. It also tells us that the internet is working and when there have been any power outages, which is useful.

So pleased with it we have just bought another, slightly more sophisticated one.

It gives great peace of mind and we have never had any problems with guests, as we tell them about it before they go, and also how to disconnect it for their stay, should our caretaker forget.
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

Hi
i am re opening this old post, due to some recent events i am looking to install a small cctv camera to overlook the exterior of my building ( car park area ) a unit that is discreet and can be accessed remotely
would we have to put a sign to say there is camera surveillance

any suggestions or help would be appreciated
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Zur Alten Weinkelter wrote:Hi
i am re opening this old post, due to some recent events i am looking to install a small cctv camera to overlook the exterior of my building ( car park area ) a unit that is discreet and can be accessed remotely
would we have to put a sign to say there is camera surveillance

any suggestions or help would be appreciated
On a technical side, what you're looking for is would be an IP camera which can be bought for as little as 50 Euros or so. They come as wired or wireless, indoor or outdoor and can be easily accessed remotely.

However the laws on what you can and can't will vary.
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Thanks
It is a sad situation when you have to do these things
But as you can tell i am a novice when it comes to technical issues

However any advise is welcome
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I've also been seriously considering installing an external internet accessible camera.

our gardener contacted our manager to ask why our hose was in the pool and the tap on, thankfully not full on. She asked me to check my water bill and it was higher than a peak season month and the villa had been empty! She concluded the most likely explanation was the builders working on enclosing the car port on villa E, we are C, were using our water for the build, they had a large water tank outside, and on this occasion had left the evidence forgetting to put the hose back and turning the tap off, although we can't prove anything. We've since added tap locks on our outside taps and are having a fence fitted across the back of our car port as you can just walk through to the pool area otherwise.

Our concern with having a camera is whether it would upset guests seeing a camera and privacy issues.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Zur Alten Weinkelter

yes my only other concern is that if i have to put a notice to indicate that " this area is covered by CCTV it might put guests off
and as it is not a enclosed area ( a sort of driveway area ) other people walking by can see any signs ( if i have to make them visible ) and as it is a small village you know how tongues wag
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I don't think I'd be too keen to stay somewhere that had CCTV and a camera in the living room keeping an eye on me!

I tend to agree with the post that you might find the cameras themselves go missing - or are damaged by a guest who doesn't want to leave evidence behind.

We had a second home owner 'phone us for help some years ago because they couldn't get the TV to work - it said "No Satellite Signal'. OH helpfully went up there with a ladder to see if he could get it working, twiddle the dish etc. only to find the satellite dish had been stolen ................
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Gillian, someone must have had a night on the tiles.......... :roll:
By the way, did you hear about the TV engineer's wedding? The ceremony wasn't much, but the reception was brilliant!!!

cough!.... :oops:
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Sun Lover

Post by Sun Lover »

I have a Securitas Direct monitored system.

I disable it remotely from my phone when guests are in the villa.

Had it for ten years with great service from them.
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

We have a couple of ucam247 hd cameras linked to the internet which I can check via smartphone. The picture quality is stunning, even on my relatively slow internet connection. There are paid for services available which alert you if they detect movement.

Cammy.com used to offer a free basic image capture service but they only seem to do a paid version now but that includes cost of the camera itself. All very easy to set up.

I only point them outside and warn visitors to disconnect them for privacy. I've found them hugely useful (living 200 miles away) to know that the guests, builders, deliveries etc have shown up when they're meant to - or more to the point that they haven't! I was even able to let my neighbour know that one of the chickens had escaped into my garden.

I've got "CCTV in operation" stickers ready, but I'm reluctant to put them up as I think they are off-putting. I've yet to have complaint about the cameras from guests as I'm very open about them and encourage them to disconnect.
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

We also have a couple of cameras on our own house, which is next door to the holiday cottage. We can't see into the holiday cottage from the cameras, but one of them covers their parking area as well as our own. We put the cameras in for our own security (plus hubby is an electronics whiz & gadget freak) but it's also useful to keep track on other comings & goings (guests, wildlife, deliveries, and other anomalies).

According to hubby he would recommend Axis cams as they are very good at low light levels, but their software apparently isn't great, and they are expensive. The second camera we have is a Y-cam which he says is cheap & cheerful. He says "use power over ethernet" for outdoor cameras and it also needs to be full HD to be of any real use. I've no idea what any of that means, but I'm hoping it might make sense to people who are into that sort of thing!
russellt

Data protection?

Post by russellt »

Interesting topic. As a tech dabbler, i made my own motion sensor CCTV system using a Raspberry Pi (geeks will understand), which lives in my home office - reaction to a burglary a few years ago when the burglars ignored the blaring alarm and brazenly ran through the house grabbing stuff. If it happens again, I hope to capture an image. The system records instantly to my cloud.

I have been considering installing proper kit to monitor the exterior of the holiday cottage, but am concerned about guest reaction to the idea of CCTV. What do you think? Does it put people off booking? Could it be positioned as a benefit to the guests, or at least show that we care about security? Or does it come across as paranoid?

There is also the question of data protection and DPA compliance, plus the Information Commissioners Office CCTV guidelines for business. Does CCTV potentially open another can of worms?
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage