anyone have a B&B for sale

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
aasta

anyone have a B&B for sale

Post by aasta »

Hello!!
We´re beginning to fold under the red tape of starting from scratch here in Portugal....so we´re wondering if there are any inns for sale in Portugal, Italy, Sardinia, , Southern France??? Anyone have a tip...we might just consider...am being a bit facitious (spelling)!!!! but we thought it might be worth a try!!!
thanks, aasta
Titti

Post by Titti »

Aasta, if you are interested in Central Italy, you will find plenty options. After the crisis of the last few years, lots of properties are for sale. For anything decent and already running though you need to think of a minimum of approx. 1 million Euro
brenda

Post by brenda »

I hate to state the obvious, but most B+Bs that are up for sale are being sold because they haven´t made an adequate income.

There are a few I know of in this area that have changed hands several times and each time the owners have had to give up; one spent a fortune converting from B+B to Self Catering apartments in an attempt to bring more customers but has still closed again.

If you think that you have found the right location in Portugal, and are sure that you are offering the type of service that is in demand, stick with it - the red tape does come to an end eventually!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Yes, but the reason for the lack of income can be poor marketing skills. I think there are a lot of people who think that a great property in a great location is all that is needed for people to beat a path to their door.

Out of buying, renovating, fitting out and marketing, I would say that marketing is a tougher challenge than the other 3 added together.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Spot on Margaret - I'm always amazed at how some people I know just seem to sit back and expect the guests to find THEM and seem surprised that they don't get the same occupancy as the people who spend all day finding ways to make their places visible.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Of course you are right Margaret. Good marketting and Customer Service - from the time of booking to the end of a Guests stay - are essential; as are location and ease of access.

However, some places just never seem to take off despite intensive advertising - certainly one of the properties round here up for sale was advertised on more websites and magasines than any other place I know.
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

Brenda wrote:I hate to state the obvious, but most B+Bs that are up for sale are being sold because they haven´t made an adequate income.
Not always, I know of 2 B & B's in Brittany that have been sold within the past 12 months because one of the partners died.

I also know of a couple up for sale because the owners are getting too old to run them.
brenda

Post by brenda »

I did stay MOST.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I see that aasta has left out Spain from their list. Why is that?
There are one or two for sale in Galicia (right above Portugal)that we know of. There may be more. One is priced too high but does have 12000m2 of land with it.
Even with purchasing one "off the peg" so to speak there are still some local laws to abide by.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
enid

Post by enid »

I also know of a couple up for sale because the owners are getting too old to run them.
That's what will make us sell
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Came across this one :

Bed and Breakfast, La Cité Médiévale de Carcassonne

This is a golden opportunity to purchase an existing bed and breakfast in the Medieval City of Carcassonne. This bed and breakfast business has been in operation for five years and we have bookings into July of 2010.

Nestled near the Basilique Saint Nazaire, this beautiful two-storey house in La Cite has four letting rooms, all en-suite with new hydro jet showers, wood floors and king size beds.

There is a lovely entrance hall, full sized salon with original tiles off which is a spacious and bright solarium. The central private courtyard garden has a lush green lawn surrounded by mature trees, flower beds and shrubs and mature grape vine and jasmine climbers.

There is a full private apartment with bedroom, en-suite shower room, open plan kitchen and dining/sitting room with fireplace.

Adjacent to the kitchen with original stone walls and tiled floors is the laundry room. This property has a full sized cave with

serviced central heating boiler, excellent wine storage and features original 12th and 13th century walls and cellar archway. There is a private garage on the property with mezzanine storage and in addition there is private parking for guests.

Electrics and plumbing certificates are available. Full trading figures for five years are available. This is a micro-enterprise, actively trading with staff as a Chambres d’Hotes with licence for a tea-room.

For additional information, please contact me and I would be happy to discuss any aspect of the business. Offers considered in the region of 515,000 euros fully furnished and actively trading. Surface Size of property is 2 a 25 ca.

Email: lace.johanna@wanadoo.fr
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Brenda - a know a lot of places do a lot of advertising but it is interesting that a B&B in our village which must on more websites than anyone else always seems to have vacancies.

I meant marketing in the widest sense, included getting the all the product espects right (including service) and getting the presentation right - website, answering of enquiries etc. Volume of advertising alone does not cover it, that's why I said marketing in its widest sense is so difficult.

What annoys me is the small number of people who get all these things wrong and still manage to be financially successful without making an effort. Now, if I could bottle their technique and sell it, I could retire!
CSE

Post by CSE »

One can purchase a good business and ruin it or one can purchase a bad business and make it a success. It is down to you what you make of the company.

Anyhow it seems that aasta has disappeared.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
aasta

Post by aasta »

Hello...I´m still here!!! thanks for all your input...am just beginning to wonder about my own sanity!!!
We are still hoping to purchase an already existing B&B or find a suitable property...will check out all leads...
We have done alot of research and are fully aware of the importance of creative, innovative marketing....and attempting to take an idea and with alot of positive endeavor hopefully make it work!!!
regards, aasta
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

MPPRRH.....that property in carcassone looks interesting!
chef who will try anything!!