Newbie question about digital TV

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
davhill

Newbie question about digital TV

Post by davhill »

Evening all,

I'll be starting to holiday let a flat soon, in Kendal, Cumbria.

I intend to install a TV/DVD combo and I'd like to know whether a Freeview signal is acceptable to guests. The alternative is adding a Sky box with, say, the Variety Package but this seems costly.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Many thanks,

DB-H
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

Dear davhill,

We have just installed the Italian equivalent of Freeview in our main family villa in Trapani, Sicily. We opted to not install Sky Italia but added a dvd /divx player and an ever increasing range of dvd films and cartoons for guests to make use of, along with boardgames, decks of cards, instructions and several paperbacks and guidebooks etc.

Personally, for me, great holiday memories come from doing different things on holiday. Boardgames are a great source of family and group entertainment that are often overlooked at home in normal life - so don't underestimate the importance of a few non-electronic pasttimes instead of Sky.

Check out this other thread which is in a similar vein:
www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t= ... sc&start=0

I think your guests will be happy with freeview, but do check the Digital signal coverage in Kendal/the Lakes first on

www.freeview.co.uk/availability

Good luck

Ciccio
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

We just have Freeview and lots of dvd's, it doesn't seem to have been an issue. We also have wifi which does seem quite popular.
shamac

Post by shamac »

Yes us too. We have 2 freeview boxes, 1 up and 1 downstairs and we have unlimited wifi use-never been an issue-wouldn't pay for sky to be honest-don't even have it at home and never missed it x
The harder you work, the luckier you get.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Just Freeview and wifi here

Mind you I have a pathological (and maybe unreasonable) dislike of Murdoch owned media :lol: Probably not something I should impose on my guests but I've tried fighting it but it always wins :roll: