HMRC's Impact Assessment of Withdrawing the FHL tax rules

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
WASCO

HMRC's Impact Assessment of Withdrawing the FHL tax rules

Post by WASCO »

HMRC's Impact Assessment of Withdrawing the Furnished Holiday Letting Rules

Following discussions with the DCMS and The Treasury, HMRC published an 'Impact Assessment of Withdrawing the Furnished Holiday Letting Rules' to which tourism bodies were invited to respond.

To view the above and responses from:
  • England’s Tourism Alliance (ETA),
    Wales Tourism Alliance (WTA),
    VisitBritain (VB),
    English Association of Self Catering Operators (EASCO),
    Association of Scotland's Self-Caterers (ASSC),
    Wales Association of Self Catering Operators (WASCO),
go to http://www.fonsca.org.uk/fhl.htm
Chairman
Wales Association of Self Catering Operators (WASCO)
http://www.wasco.org.uk
Member of The Federation of National Self Catering Associations (FoNSCA)
http://www.fonsca.org.uk
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

That makes very interesting reading, thanks for that. I am about to visit my accountant to put in place my accounts for this last year and then look at the impact of the proposed changes, which will be enormous, I have no doubt.

It seems a very workable solution has been put forward of potentially raising the occupancy from 10 weeks to 15 weeks. I wonder if it will be heard - somehow, I doubt it, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Having just entered the "trade" of self catering in the last year, it is very frustrating to have the rules changed in front of your eyes. As everyone on here will agree I'm sure, the standard of self catering premises and therefore holidays, has to be high and bears no relation to the business of renting a house for 6 months or a year. Having been a tenant in the recent past and now running a self catering business - there can be no comparison between the level of work that the two different types of landlord put in.

If we're not running a business and providing job opportunities to the (mainly) rural economies, then I'm an alien just landed here, and this isn't the country I thought I was coming to. :shock:
Windy

Post by Windy »

It seems a very workable solution has been put forward of potentially raising the occupancy from 10 weeks to 15 weeks. I wonder if it will be heard - somehow, I doubt it, but I'd love to be proved wrong.
Yes - I'd be happy with 20 weeks in fact but I think that might be unfair on some more seasonal areas than the Lakes. It's actually quite funny - if you read all those responses none of them actually says "you are being stupid and your logic is ludicrous" but they might as well. The government and HMRC look terribly amateur as a rsult of this.

If they have any sense at all they'll take the branch that is being held out with the 15 week suggestion and use it to haul themselves out of this sileage pit of their own making .
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Windy - I think you have answered your own surmising by saying 'if they have any sense at all' . . . . . .