Christmas Day on a Sunday

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
tansy

Christmas Day on a Sunday

Post by tansy »

It's driving me mad... I've even had someone wanting to arrive on Boxing Day.

I've now had 6 enquiries for Christmas - but still not put anything to bed as it were!

Is anyone else experiencing odd dates and requests that are 'out of the norm' for The Christmas / New Year period?

I've just had one in for 10 days - 23rd - 2nd so it means I'll loose a week effectively... I think I will take it if they come back to me as it makes life easier re cleaners etc.
it's all a learning curve!
Stu

Post by Stu »

We're the same here Tansy, had quite a few enquiries but the only 'solid' one was from the 27th to the 5th Jan! Ah well, beggars can't be choosers I s'pose? Still, it'll be just our luck to get 'proper' booking enquiries right after we accept the deposit, eh?
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I took a christmas booking and anyone for New Year had to fit around those dates and a previous guest was pleased to do so!! The Christmas people are 23rd - 27th and New Year 27th -1st. Not full weeks but it pays for my New Year break :)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Well done Sue! I'm not holding out for a full 2 weeks rental over the period - we were lucky last year and got one, but I don't think it will happen this year. I'm quite happy with a 4 night minimum stay over each holiday for the French market. I can earn a nice amount by doing this and the guests don't use too much wood or electricity in 4 days! They also bring their own bed linen and do all the housework, so there isn't too much for me to do at all, so I can enjoy my Christmas too.
I've heard that some weather forcasters are predicting a very cold winter this year - so I'm not too bothered about not getting long Christmas lets!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

some weather forcasters are predicting a very cold winter this year
Ah, my winter parka coat went onto day and I'm glad it did. Freezing high winds here on Tyneside, brrrrrrr! I bought an "autumn" jacket and I think I've worn it 3 times, jumped straight from summer to winter. :(

Yeah, I just took what i could get, it is hard playing the "waiting for a whole week" booking game and Christmas/New year is such an awkward period for that.
tansy

Post by tansy »

yes, Susan your 4 nights are OK for French and would be perfect for me ... but I'm getting 5/8/10 day enquiries which messes up either side if you see what I'm saying!

we wait I suppose :cry:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We're using our place for both Xmas and New Year, but can't leave before Mon 2nd at the earliest, as we need to have the dog treated for ticks and tapeworms and the vet's not open. Our next guests are due on 8th January. I've had an enquiry for 3 nights in between, but they wanted the night of the 8th!!! As ours is a ski property, Xmas is a high season, but the odd arrival dates are a pain. Next year we'll spend xmas at home and as it will be a weekday there shouldn't be a problem.
tansy

Post by tansy »

HelenB - are you happy with all your enquiries?

I am on mac. when I looked at your availability chart it did behave very strangely... I have to say if I was looking I would give up - your calendar kept going bright yellow & freezing - just when I tried moving the cursor to another date - also I don't understand the non valid start days I think it is called - a tad confusing.

Looks great though... and I don't ski!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Tansy, it must be your Mac, the non-valid start dates are because I offer short breaks out of peak season as well as full weeks. The price window is yellow, but doesn't freeze in Firefox. I'll mention it to Paul though. If you can, could you try and put a booking through it and I can let him know what the problem is , it just sends me an enquiry e-mail at the moment rather than a definite booking, so I'll just delete it.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

[quote="soodyer"][quote] Ah, my winter parka coat went onto day and I'm glad it did. Freezing high winds here on Tyneside, brrrrrrr! I bought an "autumn" jacket and I think I've worn it 3 times, jumped straight from summer to winter. :(
Had to chuckle at this!! I have some guests from New Zealand in at the moment and they were complaining today 'cos the duvets are too hot! I had put the winter ones on,but no...too hot for that! They are using the pool too, and going around in tiny beach wraps!! Ah, they are great people!! 8) :D
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Just like the Geordies then. Still not got the heating on and kids are walking the dog in a short-sleeved t-shirt. We went to France one Easter , and stopped in Burgundy. It was a lovely warm day, and we went to visit a wine chateau. The owner greeted us in fake fur (dalmatian and yes, she did look like Cruella deVille) and thought we were mad for wearing t-shirts.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Dave doesn't think I'm a real Geordie cos I wear coats and things. Honest, he came along on mine and friend Maria's ski holiday one year and he just wore jeans and his usual jacket. He was walking around in just a tshirt when we were snowshoe walking as he was getting too hot. I think that was the same year I just wore regular gloves cos I can't get away with the bulky ski gloves and I got slight frostbite. :(

I think my winter duvet is coming out very soon. Dave usually just lies on top of the quilt when that happens. It is really hard turning over though with someone under and someone over the quilt!!!!
tansy

Post by tansy »

back to Christmas - just sold 11 night booking - so worked out reasonably well in the end - I was hoping to sell 2 separate weeks - one with Christmas & one with New Year - hasn't worked out that way - so worked out a price for 11 nights so we're all happy.

Took 5 enquiries before I actually sold - 2 enquiries in within 24 hours so did a first come basis.

I'm not sure if I want to 'sell' the other house - it's a lot of work - but I can't bear leaving it empty :roll:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sue,

Dave is right!

Go down to the Bigg Market anytime, Summer or Winter. "Real" Geordies wear next to nothing on a good night out, no matter what the weather is like. Anyone seen wearing anything resembling a coat is a complete whimp and probably a foreigner to boot.

The connotation of the local saying "It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" applies to pawnshop signs not to good Geordie lads, or lasses if they had any.

Alan
tansy

Post by tansy »

Sorry - you are not correct there Alan...

It is a Naval Elizabethan term.

Balls - cannon Balls
Monkey - the tray they stand on

If it is cold enough the brass tray contracts so the iron balls roll off... thus it's cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey.