Unable to make contact

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
pambon

Unable to make contact

Post by pambon »

Several days ago I received an enquiry via HL; all contact detals were given so I replied naturally.

Within a few moments of sending my reply it bounced back with the 'unable to deliver' message. I tried again with the same results.

I then sent the same message from my 'emergency' gmail address but unusually it bounced back immediatedly with 'user unknown'.

I telephoned (USA) and was invited to leave a message which I did.

2 days later I received yet again a message via HL from the same enquirer stating that she'd understood my email problems and hoped that with this email (which was always the same one) contact could be made.....unfortunately I came up against the same problem with both my addresses. I telephoned yet again, leaving yet another message including my phone number, but have not heard back from her :cry:

I don't think there's much more I can do......what would others have done?
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

We've had the same problem a number of times with emails bouncing back presumably because the recipients inbox is full maybe? Very frustrating.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

LAst problem I had with emails was due to the recipients inbox being full. I tried four email addresses. They were forwarding all their mail to an account with a full inbox.
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

This is a difficult one. You can get inquiries coming in from hotmail accounts that fill up with spam and then get shut down. I honestly think that people also are spending more time on twitter and facebook these days than checking their email inboxes. Speaking of which, one useful thing to keep in your back pocket is to encourage people to share their facebook/twitter usernames, so you've at least got another way to contact them if email goes down...
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My regular summer visitors contacted me via Facebook last week to book the apartment. Had a quick chat, booking taken.
pambon

Post by pambon »

I never heard back from the enquirer after leaving the second message :cry:

(The email address was a verizon.net one)

Oh well, you win some and you loose some....c'est la vie!
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

I think that's a good way to view it!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have just had a similar problem and found this thread.

I was sent an email from a yahoo.com address, via a blackberry. I replied immediately, but it bounced back saying "This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account."

Clearly that's not the case, but I'm guessing that maybe as above their inbox is full? I tried twice more with the same result.

Fortunately I don't have availability for one of the nights they wanted, otherwise I would have been very frustrated. No other useful information was given to track them down.
pambon

Post by pambon »

DrRichard wrote:This is a difficult one. You can get inquiries coming in from hotmail accounts that fill up with spam and then get shut down. I honestly think that people also are spending more time on twitter and facebook these days than checking their email inboxes. Speaking of which, one useful thing to keep in your back pocket is to encourage people to share their facebook/twitter usernames, so you've at least got another way to contact them if email goes down...
And what to do if one does not have either an FB or Twitter account. With all the privacy problems on FB I'm not interested and I did open a Twitter account but found it difficult to manage so closed it. :( Not my generation game I feel :oops: