MEN v WOMEN

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Patia

MEN v WOMEN

Post by Patia »

Hello everyone,

I wonder if you can help me with this.

I have had cause to notice recently that there was one rather marked change in the enquiries I received during 2005. Most of them came from men . . . about 90% of them in fact. In 2004 and 2003 it was about half and half, but definitely nearly all men this year.

Has anyone else had this, or is it just me? Could some of you please have a quick look or a think and make a posting about it. It seems to me that if there is a change here for some reason, then . . . well . . . would there need to be any change in targeting do you think? For example, we always used to go on holiday with another couple, and the other wife and I would make a shortlist of likely villas which we would then discuss with our husbands. When we were making that shortlist, those at the top would probably be pretty, practical and . . .rather superficially perhaps, would probably comprise of those whose thumbnail pictures showed lots of greenery and flowers. Unfortunately, we are having trouble providing that at the villa we currently own, although we are still working on it . . . and it is almost impossible at the apartment (though we should have a couple more coming online next year where that might perhaps be more viable).

My point is . . . if I am now trying to appeal to men rather than women (Hmm! Yes, well, that would be nice wouldn't it - but you know what I'm driving at!) then maybe the greenery/flowers issue isn't so important.

. . . and so, my question is . . . what do men look for in a thumbnail picture of a villa? OK, that's a bit of a tall order isn't it . . . it perhaps depends a great deal on the Country you are considering going to and, obviously, we all have our individual preferences and requirements . . . but would you say you are largely looking for pretty, practical, something typical of the Country concerned, clean, quaint, 'living the dream', anything as long as it looks as though it's close to a beach . . . . . . . . well, what? We can't change our properties of course, but we might be able to 'dress' our thumbnail pictures to appeal moe to the male psyche if there should be a consensus of opinion here!

I would like thoughts from the female contingent too of course. Is anybody else finding this phenomenon . . . and do you think the sexes are so very different in respect of what leads them to click on a thumbnail?

All comments gratefully received,
Patia
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Patia,
It's hard to reply in a vacuum - we really need to see how you present your property.
I've never tried a breakdown of enquiries in this way: it is impossible to be sure that the enquirer is a man or a woman, as couples often use the partner's address in the initial enquiry!
To be sure, I'd have to look at the initial enquiry & double-check with follow-up mail........ I don't have the time to do this.
I did have a pleasant remark from a (female) visitor this summer, who said that the kitchen was better equipped than her own.
I can't see your decription to judge it - why don't you give us your www reference?
Flowers will never be wrong, even if they aren't necessary: leave them in!
Best,
Alexia.
roxytoo

men v woman

Post by roxytoo »

Patia I hadn't really though about it until you mentioned it but yes you are right, I defienetly had more enquiries/bookings from men this year! Have no idea why and can't begin to think why, I know most of them came from a work email address but then so do most of the woman that book with us so I can't even say that men are surfing more at work! The questions from men have also been along the lines of how well equipped is the kitchen and does it have a washing machine etc etc (though these are things on the site so don't know if people just really don't read it all. I am guessing that they are asking for the wife but who knows??) strange huh??
Patia

Post by Patia »

Thanks you two - not a lot of time to spare but I must put this straight:

Alexia - Sorry, misled you badly. Yes, most of my enquiries were from men . . . but the 90% figure refers to actual bookings, and of course I wouldn't expect you to look back over all your enquiries, or necessarily to know the sex of the enquirers. I meant Bookings really . . . which are much easier to analyse! Apologies for that . . .

Meishka - There! Your records show the same then . . .

Perhaps I was being too specific before with talk of flowers and thumbnails. It's more that, in my experience, holidays have traditionally been an area of family life dealt with mostly by the females. If that has shifted then, well, for one thing I wonder why and, for another, would that make any difference to us and our sales pitches? Should the emphasis we place on certain attributes of our properties be changed slightly . . . or is the sex of the person handling the booking irrelevant?

I am interested on a personal level naturally . . . but I am also curious to know if others think this might be something we need to address in general terms . . . or is it just a red herring?

Patia
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Patia,

Substantially more than 50% of my original enquiries come from females. When it comes to the final details of making a booking or making a payment or understanding route directions it becomes an even split, 50/50. I haven't noticed any recent change in the profile.

Alan
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Without actually analysing the figures, my guess is that I have about the same results as Alan's.
I don't see how we can know whether or not the sex of the person handling the booking is irrelevant.
Best,
Alexia.
tansy

Post by tansy »

I think it may be a 50/50 split - hadn't really thought about it... then when I thought deeper does it change relationships with who you are dealing with?... no I don't think so - I've built really good relationships with both male & female.
it's all a learning curve!
Patia

Post by Patia »

Yes, OK, and thanks to all. I'm having a busy few days and have a feeling I may not have expressed myself too well on this - perhaps I should have waited until my thoughts on the subject were clearer before posting! I do so appreciate you taking the trouble to answer me though.

Perhaps just a red herring after all then . . . or maybe men taking the lead in holiday bookings is only happening in Spain since Meishka has reported similar findings. Anyway, it probably isn't significant . . . in the scheme of things!

Patia
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi.Think I'm about half and half too .Well,not me personally, but my bookings :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
marcus

Male or female targeting

Post by marcus »

We attract a higher than expected percentage of homosexual couples (both male and female) with our marketing. Does this mean we have struck the perfect balance with our marketing material?
paolo

Post by paolo »

My bookings are about half and half. To answer your question about what I look for when choosing a house, I put together a shortlist of places that I think will make my wife go 'oooh!' or even 'wow!', and then she chooses. My role in life is to make her happy.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Patia

Post by Patia »

Thank you Fraise, thank you Marcus. I've got a Gin & Tonic now (sun's well past the yard-arm) so feeling more mellow . . .

There do seem to be unaccountable trends in this business though don't there. Our first year, which commenced January 2003, was very good and panned out almost exactly as our advisers had predicted. 2004 was very much affected by events on the world stage, but I battled through and was happy with the results in the end. We had high hopes for 2005 . . . and indeed have again done pretty well . . . but not without some discounting along the way, which I have to say goes against the grain with me as I tend to agree with Alan on that one. It seems to me that things change constantly though, and you have to be on the ball in order to deal with that.

For one thing . . . for us at any rate, the second week in July is a real headache to shift. As far as we can make out it's because those with children haven't yet hit school holidays (in the main) so they can't go then . . . but those without children, and who prefer it that way, don't want that week because a few schools are out so they'd rather go earlier to be on the safe side.

Last year I could have sold the second week in September about a dozen times . . . this year we only had one enquiry for it, which turned into a booking fortunately.

Then, again for the first time this year, the cheap flights really started to have an impact. Whereas I had always eschewed midweek bookings, I was suddenly turning away so many that it was no longer practical, so we adapted to saying we'd be flexible except during the Peak Weeks. I have to say that went far better than expected at the apartment at least, where everyone was very tidy, booked in order, and dovetailed neatly!

I think it was as a result of registering these other changes that I noticed the change of sex with the lead booker. We only have a few replies here really, but so far, the French Members are saying their bookings are half and half men to women . . . which is how mine were during 2003 and 2004, but I, and the only other Spanish Member to reply so far, have found an increase in men booking. Yes, doubtless a coincidence . . . but I might come back and ask you all again next year!

An interesting observation of yours though Marcus . . . another trend! We haven't had a single same-sex couple at either property so far.

Do you think perhaps I try to analyse too much?

Thanks again everyone . . . Mmm! Think perhaps a second G & T might be nice before dinner . . .

Patia
P.S. Just found your reply Paolo . . . thanks for the 'half and half' report . . . I'm seeing patterns again . . . As to you saying you choose something in order to try and please your Wife, well . . . what a nice man you must be . . .