Keys

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
7 driver

Keys

Post by 7 driver »

After spending a couple of mornings watching "Beat the Burglar" on BBC1 - yes I have Sky. It has made me think about the safety of my keys.

I manage and rent a number of houses - at present 16 and rising and have 2 sets per house. These are kept in my office quite close to all the files on the properties.

Watching the above programme, just made me think that if all my keys and files disappeared, so would my business. I think some sort of code on keys rather than names and addresses would be more secure, plus keep them all in one of those floor safes.

What do others do and think?
and I thought I'd come here to retire....

http://www.varvacance.com
paolo

Re: Keys

Post by paolo »

7 driver wrote:I think some sort of code on keys rather than names and addresses would be more secure
That's for sure. Or at least initials instead of spelling out the name and address.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

I think some sort of code on keys rather than names and addresses would be more secure, plus keep them all in one of those floor safes.
Hi

Like you we rent out our own properties and manage 10 others. We keep all the keys in a tray :oops: but all have very distinctive key rings so we know which key belongs to which property. For instance the Marbella keyring has a Puerto Banus tag! Won´t work so well when we have 50 properties but I guess we´ll worry about it then! :wink:

Linda
sue c

Post by sue c »

Hi

What about return of keys from guests? We ask for ours to be sent back to us on their return (as we're not on site). The deposit (though only £100) is not returned until we have the keys back. But we're still waiting for keys 6 weeks after guests return to UK. They have said they will post the keys - but still not arrived (after I've chased a few times). I have no reason to suspect anything odd - but it makes it difficult to send keys on to new guests. Any suggestions, and should I be worried?

Sue
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Sue,

Have you considered a lockbox system? We are off-site owners too, and we never send our keys to clients nor require them to send them back. We have a lockbox set on the wall outside the house, very sturdy, that requires a code to retrieve the key. The clients use the key for the week and then put it back in the lockbox after they leave -- it works very well and it saves us the hassle of chasing down guests!
Brooke
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Sue,
Do you require guestes to return the keys by registered post? If not, how can you you prove they didn't post them if they say they did but they don't arrive?
Best,
Alexia.
sue c

Post by sue c »

Thanks for your responses - the keys have now been returned (only on Saturday, though - 7 weeks after the guests left). It's the first time I've had this problem and fortunately it was towards the end of the busy season. I like the idea of the key box, but my concern is that we're down a deserted dirt track where tampering with a key box (or even breaking in) could be undetected. We're hoping to get round to putting in remote control gates with a number pad and code for guests - just saving up for it!

I take the point about recorded delivery return of keys - it's just that we're never in when the postie comes and it's a two-man job to get to the post office on a Saturday morning with lack of parking, etc, etc.

I think the ideal solution might be to move home and live there!