your feedback please

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
barbersdrove

your feedback please

Post by barbersdrove »

I've been reading your reviews of other websites and found your comments very helpful. I am happy with my website but I am always wondering whether it can be improved.
Bearing in mind that I use a company that provides templates and I have not designed it myself from scratch.

I would appreciate any constructive comments.

www.fen-acreholidaylet.com
Garri

Post by Garri »

I just looked at your site's source code and it's a mess, shockingly bad in fact. It's poorly structured.

Whilst this doesn't matter to punters it will matter to search engines.

It is devoid of the most basic and important SEO as there doesn't appear to be any crucial meta tags such as <title> and <description>

Mind you, you're number 1 in Google for 'www.fen-acreholidaylet.com' - which is pretty good.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Nothing to do with your site but I would like to say thank you for reminding me of Crowland! I think I had one of my first snogs under that bridge thingy in town, I was born in Spalding, not far down the road
Cheers
PC
CSE

Post by CSE »

I have to agree with Garri
Look at these errors
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1 ... 2F501.html
w3.org is a web service that gives you the errors. Not being a web designer it may be gobbledygook. But having this many errors is not going to help your website.

On the first page I would suggest you use your own photo rather than street views. What is the 1936 at the bottom of the page?
You booking form allows a person to send it without entering information....so I bet you got a blank form by now!
Some of your other photos have a copyright logo on them if you have permission to use them it would be nice to give a link to the website you got them from.
Information is clear but maybe the font is too small for older/tired eyes?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Windy

Post by Windy »

I'd lose that link to the listing site underthe 4* logo on your first page - The last thing you want is people leaving your site and going elsewhere!
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at the site.
Garri and Ian, I don't understand about source codes but I have looked at the errors link (worrying but gobbledegook to me) I am sending it to the company who host my site for their comments. Mind you if i search using the words self catering and the fens my site comes up 3 times on the first page of Google.

Ian, I did have one of my own pictures on the openng page but I liked this street view one better so i changed it. I still like it better as it's hard to get such a good view from ground level with my digital camera.

I did get a blank booking form from you (I got all excited as i thought I had an enquiry) But it is the first one I've had in 3 yrs. I don't really understand why it is a problem, has it been an issue that people send blank forms?

I have tried to provide links where i can but can you be specific about which of the pics has a copyright on them and no link? I've had a look but can't see which.

The number is a counter of the number of visitors who have looked at the site.

Windy, I have to have the link somewhere on the site in order to be able to have them host my accommodation details but you're right, i will relocate it somewhere further back in the site.

Paul, I cant believe you had your first kiss under our small town's bridge!!!! How come? I think we need the full story :D
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

barbersdrove wrote:Paul, I cant believe you had your first kiss under our small town's bridge!!!! How come? I think we need the full story :D
I think the poor girl has suffered enough already!
Cheers
PC
Garri

Post by Garri »

barbersdrove wrote:Mind you if i search using the words self catering and the fens my site comes up 3 times on the first page of Google.
You said yourself that you're very happy with your site, so just create some <title> and <description> tags and you'll probably get bumped up to number 1.

There's not great competition it seems.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Mind you if i search using the words self catering and the fens my site comes up 3 times on the first page of Google.

See if you get the same result by clearing the search history on your browser, or download and use a browser you haven't used before. There is a good chance you won't.

Or try one of the Google monitors such as this one from CleverStat which will give you an unbiased result.

MG
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

There are a number of distracting reflections from your camera's flash on shiny surfaces in your interior photographs. To avoid this, try imagining your flash as a rubber ball that you throw at the subject matter. If it bounces back and hits you, you'll get a reflection. If you move the camera/flash slightly up, down or to the side and the ball misses you, the reflections will not appear. Some of the interiors and a couple of outside shots are a bit 'washed-out' too - lacking in density and contrast. Under exposure, maybe?

Jim
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I had thar problem a lot with my previous camera BUT.........I've just purchased a brand spanking new one so will try to get some better pics.

I would like a few more 'arty' ones as I was advised by my local TIC that pictures that set up an atmosphere are better than practical ones, but don't really know if I would set up the images correctly.

Also, I know when I book somewhere I do look for detailed pictures of the inside of the property and have not booked places where the chairs look really uncomfortable or there is mould on the bathroom wall.

I get your point re the flashback and will try to get that right this time too.
CatGirl

Post by CatGirl »

I like the website from an aesthetic point of view. Nice and clean with easy clear links. I would agree with others about the font size - a bit small for my aged eyes!

Regarding the SEO stuff. I see you have now put a <title> in but every page is the same so this won't help your ranking. To get a better ranking every page needs to be unique.

The only page I have a problems with is the Access Statement one. The layout diagram is a bit too small for me to be able to read easily.

I tried a google search using "self catering fens - sorry you weren't on P1.

But otherwise I like the site.
Sometimes I sits and I thinks but sometimes I just sits

www.roda-golf.co.uk
Windy

Post by Windy »

Mind you if i search using the words self catering and the fens my site comes up 3 times on the first page of Google.
Afraid not on this PC either - not on pages 1-10 for Self Catering Fens" or Self Catering The Fens"
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

it must be that it's in my history so I will clear it and try again. Mind you I've taken 2 bookings today so they are finding me somehow!
Austria

Post by Austria »

Hi,

Could not see the availability calendar.

Also with your access statement, the text needs to be clearer / larger, try a differenct back goriund or text colour to improve on the contrast.

Good luck