Rude/Unmannerly enquiries

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
dublin13

Rude/Unmannerly enquiries

Post by dublin13 »

I received a very short email enquiry over the weekend which im just about to reply to. However I found the enquiry rude and unmannerly.Heres what they asked "Availabilty and cost please". Maybe Im a little sensitive but you wouldnt verbally say that to some one in a shop without a hi or hello or thanks. This person will probably not even reply when I tell the price and that their is availability.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Try looking at it from the potential guest's point of view. They may know from bitter experience that they can fire off 10 enquiries, get less than 5 responses and only 1-2 of those within 24 hours. Why waste time writing a lengthy message to an owner when the recipient may never check his/her emails or may just not bother to reply?

It is much easier for you to assume that this guest wants to know if you have availability and at what cost. It is brief, not rude.

The internet encourages brief communications. If you ignore or get cross at requests like this, you are reducing the number of effective enquiries. I have had lengthy, polite enquiries who have not booked. I do everything I can to get a dialogue going and more than 50% of our enquiries convert to bookings.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Well I had one that just said 'hi!'

I think you just have to take it on the chin when this occurs. Often its likely to be younger people and sent via a blackberry or such like. Though Margaret makes a fair point about not all owners bothering to reply...I've experienced that too.

Anyway I replied asking if he wanted info etc and he came back saying yes and thanks.

We'll see if he books

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
James3214

Post by James3214 »

Well at least they wrote 'please'. It could be spam or more likely that they have sent out a lot of enquiries or haven't learnt how to use 'cut and paste'.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Depend if you want a booking :-)

I know what you mean though - it really doesn't take much to write a sentence does it?

The exception as has been pointed out is when using a mobile or blackberry (which have a lot to answer for by way of curt communication :? )
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I agree that it's rude.

However, I think this kind of thing is becoming more common with things like iPhones where typing is less easy than on a keyboard. Not an excuse IMHO, but perhaps an explanation.

You could of course just reply with "Fully booked" or "£500" and leave it at that. 8)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Margaret wrote:...Why waste time writing a lengthy message to an owner when the recipient may never check his/her emails or may just not bother to reply?..
How I wish Margaret's comments above were wrong, but we know that they are not.

On the other side, many is the time I've spent extra care answering detailed questions and thought to myself that the chances of a reply back are like 1 in 5.

But, I still feel that a curt response as suggested (tongue in cheek no doubt) is wrong and leads to a downward spiral.

Anecdotally:
The Algarve is typically not popular with the French (its just too hard to get to), yet I have received a spate of enquiries in the past week (well, 3 actually) from French enquirers for August this year. In all cases I had to send back a polite "sorry we're booked up, but hope you find something and have a great holiday in the Algarve". This is exactly the same as that which I send to all enquiries for unavailable dates, and usually get no response, but all of my French enquirers have replied back with a simple thanks. I don't want to draw any conclusions, let alone any that allude to national characteristics, but its quite warming to get those one line thank you emails.

Lets try to keep and enhance the imagery of private rentals as positive and better than the "big boys".
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

e-richard wrote: Lets try to keep and enhance the imagery of private rentals as positive and better than the "big boys".
Thanks for that thought! I should probably print it and stick it over my desk*, but at least I shall call it to mind next time I'm hand-crafting an email response to an enquiry, with extra bits of information, and wondering if I'm totally wasting my time.....

*I'm pretty sure some of the "big boys" have a sign over their desks reading "I think you're mistaking me for somebody who gives a sh*t."
CSE

Post by CSE »

With these days of texting everything is begin kept to a minimum? But it is odd to have such a short request for information...no dates; no nothing?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
sammyboy

Post by sammyboy »

I had exactly the same short enquiry last night, it does make you think about how to reply,I replied as normal but no response yet
gite-poitou-charentes.co.uk
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I get a couple of enquiries like that a year and usually respond in the same fashion. I know I shouldn't but I can't bear bad manners. They are few and far between though, the majority are not only polite but complimentary too.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

la vache! wrote:I get a couple of enquiries like that a year and usually respond in the same fashion. I know I shouldn't but I can't bear bad manners. They are few and far between though, the majority are not only polite but complimentary too.
I know that the temptation is always there (especially for we short-fused scorpions LV ) but I tend to agree with E-Richard that we should just ignore the rudeness and make an effort to be polite back. It only takes a couple of seconds to cut, paste and personalise a standard but friendly response.

Think of it as doing a good deed like giving a friendly wave and a smile to those who cut in front you in traffic queues or fail to use their indicators.....

Here on LMH we should be setting the high standards that others may aspire to follow :D
domino

Post by domino »

*I'm pretty sure some of the "big boys" have a sign over their desks reading "I think you're mistaking me for somebody who gives a sh*t

Thank you Greenbarn for cheering me up this morning :lol:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

E-Richard said....
Lets try to keep and enhance the imagery of private rentals as positive and better than the "big boys".
Richard D said....
Think of it as doing a good deed like giving a friendly wave and a smile to those who cut in front you in traffic queues or fail to use their indicators.....

Here on LMH we should be setting the high standards that others may aspire to follow
Well said both Richards totally agree :D

Im sometimes at my best when confronted with 'rudeness'[in all walks of life]
I generally rise above it, and treat the person with even greater politeness than usual :) It works wonders!!

If they didnt mean to be rude thay appreciate it, and if they did it usually unnerves them into being nice back :D win-win
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Big Sis.. wrote: I generally rise above it, and treat the person with even greater politeness than usual :) It works wonders!!
I once heard a similar technique described as "smile at someone, a genuine smile, give them your very best smile, and do it without mercy."

It stuck in my mind.