What type of garden furniture?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
wallypott

What type of garden furniture?

Post by wallypott »

I get the impression that wooden furniture doesn't last very long. Has anyone got any advice on furniture that will last a decade or so? Or am I barking up a non-existant tree?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I think the length of life of wooden furniture depends on the quality and maintenance done on it. Mine was awful and fell apart after 2 seasons. It is also very uncomfortable without cushions. I've got aluminium with mesh on the seats and toughened glass which looks, nice, needs no painting and is comfortable. I can see it lasting quite a few years. Plastic just looks horrible.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

La vache, do you think something like this might be good?

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Table-de-jardin-180- ... 51919bef48
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have something similar at home, but the chairs also recline. I've got hardwood at the apartment, and two deck chairs, which now need replaced . I'm looking for some recliners to replace them.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Wallypot, yes, something like that. My chairs have got arms on them and are stackable rather than folding, you can see them here
lorca

Post by lorca »

Completely agree re aluminium and mesh. We've had some chairs with arms (white aluminium) that have been outside for 18 months now, and look as good as new.
enid

Post by enid »

Our wooden furniture is into it's 7th season - just needs a quick touch up. We have some sunloungers that are alu and mesh and they are very good too.
mirabelle

Post by mirabelle »

Why won't you go on cast iron and tiles ? chairs could be simple plastic armchairs ? I'll post a picture of mine, I'll get it in 2 days time, delivery free at home !
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I really wouldnt go with plastic, theres a cautionary tale here

viewtopic.php?p=63120#63120

Ive been really pleased with my chairs[very similar to LVs] plastic breaks easily and gets discoloured.
Marks

Post by Marks »

If you have hardwood furniture treat it with a good quality wood stain, not varnish. It will last much longer before needing maintenance.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
mirabelle

Post by mirabelle »

oh dear !I've never heard of plastic melting in the sun ! I've been using plastic chairs for 10 years now, never happened. Of course, if I had to replace them, would be because they easily break legs.
In two gites I have a set of aluminium and glass table, quite solid.
With my cast iron table I have just new plastic chairs, but my neighbour uses aluminium chairs with plastic seats. They match quite nicely.
Of course, we all learn by experience.
pambon

Post by pambon »

I have cast iron table and chairs, guaranteed to last a lifetime outside in our sun.

In a hot climate I think it pays to have something 'anti' sun!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Cast iron is certainly durable, but it is incredibly uncomforable to sit on.
pambon

Post by pambon »

The chairs are well 'shaped' (!) and I put cushions on them too to soften the effect!

I'm talking about seating for eating as we don't have the luxury of space for pools and loungers I'm afraid :cry:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

la vache! wrote:Cast iron is certainly durable, but it is incredibly uncomforable to sit on.
Not to mention hot when they have been in the sun, and freezing cold when out of it.