Temporary website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Aldo

Temporary website

Post by Aldo »

I've been working on another house for the last year and a half. The temporary website is not yet up under the proper url so any comments from you folk would be helpful. I purchased the template so some things like the music (irritating or what?) will have to go.
Last edited by Aldo on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

The font is very small and hard to read, I realise we are not looking at the final thing, but some reference to Malta on the home page would be useful.
Cheers
PC
CSE

Post by CSE »

I hate flash websites. And I never like music on websites. So not a good start :oops:
But I do like this presentation, except the letters are too small for me.
Even with the music off you can still hear a click with …err clicking!
Great place, I bet it will cost a packet to sleep there?
I cannot find how many it sleeps.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Cheers guys. Great help. Hopefully I can do something about the font. It is just a temporary website and it's based on a purchased template. My knowledge of flash is extremely limited.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Aldo wrote:Cheers guys. Great help. Hopefully I can do something about the font. It is just a temporary website and it's based on a purchased template. My knowledge of flash is extremely limited.
I feel the SEO is difficult.
If you do a search there is plenty about it on the net....like this article:
http://www.hochmanconsultants.com/artic ... lash.shtml
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

The design of the apartment and of the website are, I feel, tightly targetted at a trendy market. Good for you. I won't comment further because I am far too old to be trendy and it doesn't appeal to me.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I agree with Margaret. Also the pages were very slow to load for me.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Too old, Margaret? I doubt that.

I'm now planning the real website (as opposed to the temporary one) so all comments are welcome.

New one will have calendar and possibly a way of paying direct. What do you think about the latter? It would certainly mean less work for me.

Will look at the SEO issue too. Well, new website won't be in Flash.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Aldo wrote: Well, new website won't be in Flash.
Glad to hear it! Personally, I don't think it's wise to create whole websites in Flash for many reasons, SEO being one of them.

I've never been a big fan of Flash but having said that, I am considering using it in limited form in the redesign of our main website. It goes against my principles though!

Also, rendering large chunks of text in capitals is always hard to read and white on black background makes it harder still.

Other than that, it's a decent template and one that lends itself well to your style of accommodation, Aldo.

Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing the finished article.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Looks fabulous Aldo, and I would love it and I'm no spring chicken myself.

Re the website though - I agree the text is too small, but also the virtual tour moved too quickly for me to read the text anyway. Also you need a better picture of the terrace - the one you have isn't very descriptive.

I'm sure it will be a success - very stylish and the little town looks very attractive too.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

NO MUSIC ;-) 'casue I don't want anyone to know I am looking at holidays when I should be working!
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Glad you like it Topcat. There is a very valid reason why there is no photo of the terrace. Wasn't ready when the photographer came in. Plants need to grow a little too before I shall get the photographer again.

Musetta, I know the feeling. I hate music on websites. I asked a more technical friend of mine to tell me how to take the music out so will do in due course.
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

I'd lose the music - only ever liked music on one site (a ski chalet site with the theme from Barbapapa -ahhh).

Anyway, the font isn't necessarily a problem, i think its more the fact that CAPITALS ARE HARD TO READ ON WEBSITES particularly if they are a narrow font like the one on your template site.

I agree with the avoidance of Flash comments too on the grounds of SEO, but can see the benefits when trying to attract a kookier crowd/guest.

Liked the simnplified headings but wondered if such simplification will fit in with the 'three click rule' for visitors to your site. You could of course have a Flash site and a non flash site?

And a note on loading time - the site loaded very quickly on mobile broadband so no problem there for me.

Good luck
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Temporary website no more. Have put on line the new one, having taken some of the comments on board. Thank you guys. Do have a look and tell me what you think, if you have a moment.
enid

Post by enid »

I love it - stylish look of the website perfectly matches your property. The firs Facebook link didn't work BTW