Proactive and Inactive Owners!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
harcourtv57

Proactive and Inactive Owners!

Post by harcourtv57 »

We are currently making enquiries for our own holiday later this year. As has been said before, its staggering how many owners just don't respond. I sent an enquiry to one owner,who has his property on special offer as its just been listed and he is keen (allegedly) to get bookings at a cheaper rate as 'he is confident they will then become repeat bookers'. I sent an enquiry early last Saturday morning and am still waiting for a reply . . . . :roll:

However, another owner who I had enquired with some time ago, has now contacted me to say that they have a cancellation and its on special offer should we still be interested - now thats what I call proactive and guess which owner will get the booking!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I sent an enquiry early last Saturday morning and am still waiting for a reply . . . .
The result of such tardiness will, inevitably, be reflected in the profitability of that enterprise and, on the face of it, there is no excuse.

But … but. Gite owners tend to spread themselves thinly and their rentals may not be their only commitment. One person usually holds most of the threads and it can be difficult for somebody else to help when things go wrong (as sometimes they will). Illness, family crises, natural disasters, financial problems, computer crashes and many other things can temporarily distract even the most diligent of owners.

As somebody who has experienced crises and is struggling with another at present, I understand how difficult it can be at times to keep the train on the track. Which makes me a tad more forgiving.

Jim
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Have now heard from the owner - apparently he sent me two e-mails which were returned (?) so maybe I was a bit too hasty -but I still find it astounding, being in the same business, how few responses we get to enquiries for properties.
Fifi

Post by Fifi »

Jimbo hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned. I do my absolute best to reply to enquiries the same day (or next morning if they arrive late in the evening - my brain starts to cease functioning around 10pm), however, I have the gites, 3 kids (one of whom handicapped), pets, husband working away much of the time, big house and grounds, so there will be occasions when I am tardy - I do apologise for my tardiness, but I am sure it has resulted in lost bookings.

Now if only would-be guests were so speedy/courteous in replying to emails, even for a thanks but no thanks :D
People who arrive after 10pm, shouldn't expect a hug.....
Moira

Post by Moira »

Hi,

Only new to this, so I was really excited when I got some enquiries, is it usual for people not to get back to you at all? Would I be right in thinking that if someone hasn't responded back in a couple of days then they're not interested. Perhaps I'm just impatient and keen to get some confirmed bookings.

www.baronyapartments.com
pambon

Post by pambon »

Jimbo wrote: As somebody who has experienced crises and is struggling with another at present, I understand how difficult it can be at times to keep the train on the track. Which makes me a tad more forgiving.

Being in a similar position I would agree. I imagine most responsable owners reply within a couple of hours, but there are (many) occasions when it's just not possible. What is important in these cases is to reply with apologies.

Last year I also had problems with UK owners not responding to enquiries when searching for my summer rental.

In my experience it's quite natural for those not interested in taking their enquiry for your property any further, not to reply. I give my enquirers 48 hours........then I know the outcome
:wink:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Would I be right in thinking that if someone hasn't responded back in a couple of days then they're not interested.
Not necessarily. People often have to take time to consult the rest of the family, or have a look round at other rental properties. I've had people come back to me to book after a couple of weeks. It's frustrating I know, but can't be helped.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
pambon

Post by pambon »

Topcat wrote:
Would I be right in thinking that if someone hasn't responded back in a couple of days then they're not interested.
Not necessarily. People often have to take time to consult the rest of the family, or have a look round at other rental properties. I've had people come back to me to book after a couple of weeks. It's frustrating I know, but can't be helped.

TC
Understandable if the property is large and holds various family members and/or groups of friends. For the small apartment rental (like mine) just for two people it doesn't take long for them to decide :)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If I don't answer an enquiry as soon as I receive it, I tend to ignore and forget about it. I've got too many other things going on. So I always try and answer immediately.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Hear hear LV :!:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Moira wrote:Hi,

Only new to this, so I was really excited when I got some enquiries, is it usual for people not to get back to you at all? Would I be right in thinking that if someone hasn't responded back in a couple of days then they're not interested. Perhaps I'm just impatient and keen to get some confirmed bookings.

www.baronyapartments.com
When we started out a couple of years back I was naive enough to think that email dialogue might proceed beyond the point of our response to an enquiry; now I'm pleasantly surprised if someone takes the trouble to reply with a no thanks, beyond our budget, or found somewhere else, or whatever - and I always follow that up as well (enjoy your holiday, remember us for another time, etc etc).
I don't think my attitude shift is born of my natural cynicism so much as a good dose of reality kicking in - is it really likely that someone searching for accommodation, and contacting a number of owners in the process, is going to do anything more than proceed with the one that fits their wish list, and ignore the rest?
Initially I'd worry about why the booking hadn't converted, but I soon got used to the idea that some do and some don't, and it doesn't (necessarily) mean that our property has anything "wrong" with it.
pambon

Post by pambon »

I tend to agree with that GB; but last weekend I received a request which due to the number of people wanting to occupy the apartment I was unable to accept. The enquirer insisted - sleeping bags etc - I replied sorry but...... then came a reply: could I suggest alternative accommodation (after I'd already suggested they look elsewhere for a bigger property.)

I supplied them with the names, websites and phone numbers of 4 other possibilities, all personally known to me. (Surely they could have checked other listings in this area for themselves?)

After all that I never received an email of thanks :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

THIS is what makes me mad.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Yes pambon - I've got that T-shirt as well - it's really itchy, isn't it? :roll:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Me too. I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to point people to alternative accommodation (at their request) and I've never ONCE had a thank you.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

..and me too!
To be honest, I know don't bother now apart from giving them a link back to the rental site.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!