review my website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Candy

review my website

Post by Candy »

Can you please review my website I built it myself and would love some feed back
CSE

Post by CSE »

I will start this off.
In general presentation everything is fine and works well.
However the links to other websites (including to your web designer) takes you away from your own website. I do not think this is such a good thing.
There are “technical details about the website that perhaps you should show your designer and have them rectify.
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1 ... s.co.uk%2F
This is only the front page and I have not looked at the other pages.
There is no robot.txt file or any site map.xml file.
HTH
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
La Chouette

review my website

Post by La Chouette »

I'll throw in my 3p worth too.

I like the look of your site and your place too! It's easy to navigate for me.

If I were looking for somewhere to stay and self cater I'd like to know from the website where the nearest restaurants were for when s/c was too much - it is a holiday after all!

Jan
Candy

Post by Candy »

Hi casasantoestevo
Thank you so much this is just what I was looking for. It was me that designed and built the website with dreamweaver to try and save some money and so I could control it myself however I did ask a web designer if they could just load the website for me I was a bit fritaned to do this part myself has I have never done it before. I will take the links off and try to sort out the other problems so its back to reading my bedtime story the dreamweaver book. I have tried to sort out the site map but I just can't do it. Sorry but I really struggle with meta tags and things so what is a robot.txt file. Thank you so much for your help
Candy

Post by Candy »

Thanks Jan
I will put something on regards to local amendments
declanja

Post by declanja »

I had a quick look and was impressed. I felt the layout was good and you have included plenty of information. Two comments, you external photos of the homes may look better if retaken on a day with blue skies, it looks as if it is about to rain! Secondly, I found the colours on your availability page to indicitate booked, availability etc all very pale and difficult to distinguish (maybe I need to get my eyes retested!).

Otherwise I loved it.

Declan
Candy

Post by Candy »

Hi declanja

Its been really hard trying to get a photo we got new window put in the cottages in February and every time I go it's rain or just a dull day can't wait for the summer to get some photos. When I first started to manage the cottages I did put the colours on the availability page really light because I had no bookings thought to would not look so bad but they are coming in now so you are right I will change it Thanks so much for looking it means a lot
CSE

Post by CSE »

The code to open a new window is easy.

<a href="http://www.settle-carlisle.co.uk//" target="_blank"> Leeds-Settle-Carlisle information, Garsdale is the nearest train station to Cotterdale </a>

It is the word black that makes the difference
You can obtain site maps and things via Google if you have registered with an account. Form there you can acquire webmaster tools.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Candy

Post by Candy »

Thanks casasantoestevo I have changed the links so it opens a new tab I think it is working. I have joined Google but I think I need to read some more I am all over on it then get very confused mind you it doesn't take much to get me confused with all the codes and alien language but I will try again. Thanks for all your help :D
Windy

Post by Windy »

Looks fine to me.

I agree about the images - you need some leaves on those trees :-)

A couple of niggly things - Your Click "images to enlarge" on the Local Attractions page needs indenting and you need to lose March and April from your list of future events.
Candy

Post by Candy »

Windy
Thanks for looking
Your Click "images to enlarge" on the Local Attractions page needs indenting, please help have I done this right not a clue what I am doing. I have taken March and April from your list of future events. Thanks for all your help
Windy

Post by Windy »

You seem to have used blockquote on your Local Attractions page which is why you have the two ''s on the left

<blockquote>
<p>Click images to enlarge.</p>
</blockquote>

on the pages that look better you have used

<p><span class="style45 style51">Click images to enlarge</span>. </p>
Candy

Post by Candy »

Thanks so much Windy
I have changed them now.
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

very well laid out and simple to navigate... but i think maybe the first page is a bit too copy heavy...
Candy

Post by Candy »

Bananacake
Thank for having a look!
Sorry what is bit too copy heavy...