How to address someone

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
kendalcottages

How to address someone

Post by kendalcottages »

On my own website's contact form, I ask for the enquirer's title and, in my first reply, always begin with "Dear Mr. Bloggs..." I sign off with just 'Paul' and invariably get a "Dear Paul" message if they reply back. Is it then OK for me to say "Dear Fred..." or should I still keep things formal?

Also, if an enquiry comes from another site where the title is not asked for and I just get something like "Frieda Bloggs", do I say "Dear Mrs. Bloggs" (could be wrong) or "Dear Ms. Bloggs" (some don't like 'Ms.') or "Dear Frieda" (could be considered too informal)... or something else?

Thanks.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We leave that part open to enquirers to fill in. So some enquiries come in as Mr or Mrs plus initial and they get a formal reply. Most of the first name and surname enquiries get a reply to their first name. Sometimes I go more formal with North Americans (they often address me as Mrs. first time as our names are clearly on the website) and enquirers from the Middle East. I hate people (I mean telesales people) being over familiar with me when I don't know them and didn't ask them to call. But I think with enquiries they are looking to set up potentially a communication so one can err on the side of familiarity. Especially as 100% of our guests are on first name terms with us by the time they arrive.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I always use their christian name.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I always use the first name for all nationalities except the French, where I stick to Monsieur and Madame if that is the way the enquiries are signed, as they often are by older people enquiring. It is more respectful.
James3214

Post by James3214 »

On all English or American enquiries I use their first name. For any others, mainly Europeans I keep it formal and use their surname with the translated equivalent of 'Dear'. Only after they address me with the first name do I reply with the same.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I take my lead from them. I usually use the formal Mr/Mrs etc in my first communication then if they write back dear Julie I use their first name when replying. I also start with Hi/ dear/ Hello etc if that's what they start with. I think it's a bit the same as a face to face meeting. Mirroring the other person is supposed to set up some kind of rapport (if you believe in that sort of thing)
Windy

Post by Windy »

What Margaret said :lol:
lorca

Post by lorca »

we use their first name (unless they don´t give it obviously :wink:)
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Thank you - it's good to get a range of opinions. I particularly like barbersdrove's way of tackling it. Seems to make sense.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.