Photographs on websites

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
geoffreycoan

Post by geoffreycoan »

marcus wrote:Re the box model problem, I had a quick look at your site and it seems unlikely that 'pixel specific' positioning is crucial since there is a lot of space on the right already (use percentages, columns, em, float, etc)
Problem is I've redesigned the table of contents to use a list instead of embedded bullet images (which didn't look right on a Mac) and IE & Firefox position the list differently (requiring css hacks). Now I've found a mistake in my DTD meant that the browsers were using quirks mode by accident - correcting it now changes the fonts - see example page with correct DTD and incorrect DTD
Does anyone have any suggestions of actually how some websites maage to keep the pictures so much clearer? I use Photoshop, Image Size, then Sharpen / Unsharp Mask but the results aren't great
That's pretty much the same as I do except I do my resizing in Irfanview and make sure I set the resizing to be the slowest highest quality resample I can. I also tend to boost the brightness of the resized picture a bit before I sharpen it.
Getting good indoor pictures is hard (although turning on all the lights beforehand as suggested here previously does make it look more homely) and I also take lots of pictures to choose the best.

Geoffrey
Les Vallees Gite, central rural Brittany - http://www.giteinbrittany.com
geoffreycoan

Post by geoffreycoan »

pja wrote:Geoffrey, I don't see much difference between Photoshop and irfanview.
I resaved your homepage picture with Irfanview at 80% compression and it squashed it from 54kb to 48Kb but with 50% compression it went down to 31kb. Every little helps !

Geoffrey

PS: I do like your website design though. How do you get the indoor photos to look so good ?
Les Vallees Gite, central rural Brittany - http://www.giteinbrittany.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

For indoor shots I think most professional photographers use portable halogen floodlights. To an extent, the more light the better particularly for digital cameras. Depth of focus, sharpness and colour rendition are enhanced.

Also, professional photographers typically use a wide angle lense (25/30mm) for indoor shots.

Added together, the cost of a couple of portable halogen floodlights and a wide angle lense is more than the cost of a good session from a professional photographer and he is bringing with him skills which most of us simply do not have. We get good pictures by accident, he gets them by design.

Alan
mvus

Post by mvus »

marcus wrote: Meanwhile to return to the original post, does anyone have any suggestions of actually how some websites maage to keep the pictures so much clearer? I use Photoshop, Image Size, then Sharpen / Unsharp Mask but the results aren't great.

Cheers
Marcus
I think you've over-sharpened some of the images. Email me the 'original' photo LaPetFnt.jpg untouched and I will see if that's what it is. You can resize first to 400 or 600px wide to make it easier to email but don't compress it