Drop Shadows

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Chalky

Drop Shadows

Post by Chalky »

Returning to my favourite topic ( :wink: ) I've found a Freeware photo-editing program which produces a very acceptable drop shadow without messing about with multiple layers, and, more importantly, without increasing the file-size appreciably, so you don't increase download speeds. It also offers many other editing functions and was awarded 5 stars by the CNet editors.

The program is called Faststone Image Viewer and you can download it here: www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
Last edited by Chalky on Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chalky

Garri

Post by Garri »

Chalky, I would drop it if I were you, the shadow that is! :wink:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Oh, now, I think drop shadows can be nice -- emphasis on can. A subtle shadow gives an entire page depth without a person even noticing that it's there... the trick is to under-do it.
Brooke
gummus

Post by gummus »

Great little program for adding drop shawdow or what i also liked is the frame marks (not external picture frames) but 60 different piture edges. Good find
Wishing I was there
marcus

Post by marcus »

are you still looking for drop shadows?
I found the easiest implementation I have seen so far (in CSS) described at
http://web-graphics.com/mtarchive/001589.php
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

I found the easiest implementation I have seen so far (in CSS)
Yes, but you still need to create a background image to use with your CSS, so surely you might as well just use an image program?
Chalky

marcus

Post by marcus »

I just used the background image file on the example on the site given, downloaded to my PC rather than make my own. Now I would never need to use a graphics program at all to give drop shadows to any pictures I wanted. Just specify them as class ="shadow", taking perhaps 2 seconds in frontpage or dreamweaver design view or 10 seconds in HTML (I type slowly). Very quick and painless. and I could play with the shadow intensity etc much more easily than in photoshop etc

I haven't actually got drop shadows anywhere personally but was interested in how to do them.

Next challenge is a simple version of 'rounded corners' on boxes, with no image files - now them I do like!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Marcus,

By all means you can create cross-browser rounded corner effects using pure CSS, without using images, but it involves a large number of stacked <div>s and therefore a lot of markup coding. Creating rounded corner effects using images is much easier and much quicker.

Alan
TravelPixel

Post by TravelPixel »

stay well away from drop shadows...the ultimate cheesy effect!!!

:D
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

stay well away from drop shadows...the ultimate cheesy effect!!!
As with so many things, it's a matter of opinion. As someone once said, opinions are like noses - everyone's got one. :wink:
Chalky

Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I don't understand what's wrong with drop shadows. Used in the right context I find them very attractive.

Are they regarded as a "must not have" these days? I'm not a dedicated follower of fashion so I wouldn't know.

Alan
TravelPixel

Post by TravelPixel »

certainly in graphic design circles they are frowned upon because they are a really easy effect to achieve with a layer filte rin photoshop.

Of course it can look great, its just thats the kinda ponsey attitude I have experience of!!

:D
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

certainly in graphic design circles they are frowned upon because they are a really easy effect to achieve with a layer filte rin photoshop.
Does that mean that graphic designers only approve of things which are difficult to achieve?
Of course it can look great, its just thats the kinda ponsey attitude I have experience of!!
Does that mean that things which can look great are by definition kinda ponsey?

I’m starting to wonder, who’s the trendie round here?

Alan
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

TravelPixel:
From your previous comment:
stay well away from drop shadows...the ultimate cheesy effect
it would appear to be your attitude :?
Chalky

TravelPixel

Post by TravelPixel »

yes the comment was really tongue in cheek chalky, dont take it too seriously.

drop shadows though....... :oops:

:lol: