HR French site

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
enid

Post by enid »

so you win the race Susan - well done! :D
roxytoo

hr

Post by roxytoo »

I've just signed up for HR and also for the FREE french site but am told unless I pay £20 to get a 'proper' translation they won't /can't put it live as at the moment being a native french speaker they don't understand my translation! (they must have put it up as I believe it used to be £15)

Now I thought it was supposed to be free and this is the email I got from the French translator

''If you can and want to manage the translation of your advert into French yourself

Then please do so from your existing English advert.

You can easily switch back and forth between your English and French advert through the “edit French advert/éditer votre annonce anglaise� button which features on all pages of your advert in the top right.

You will have to fill in all the “free text boxes� of your French advert as you did in its English equivalent, whereas all database driven information supplied on your English advert (photos, availabilities, rental rates and all boxes ticked) will be translated and uploaded automatically for you''

nothing there about if its not right I have to pay £20!

am i right to be disgruntled?? I can understand it won't be exactly correct but I am sure its 'understood' .At a later date I may get the opportunity to do it properly but wanted it live now!
paolo

Post by paolo »

I think, understandably, they only want very good French on their ads - imagine if you went to an English site and found the sort of English you get from Babelfish translations. I would run a mile.

I suppose it comes down to your interpretation of "''If you can...manage the translation of your advert into French yourself". In their opinion, you can't!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
roxytoo

hr

Post by roxytoo »

but then it's not free is it :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't think £20 is too much to pay for a good translation. You would have to pay a lot more to get it done privately, and then you will have the French version to cut and paste to your own website! I would feel positively gruntled :D
Giddy Goat

H-R French site

Post by Giddy Goat »

Just got H-R's latest newsletter. Thinking about listing on the French site while it remains free, but it would take me forever to translate it myself and reach the required standard. Their translation fee now stands at £25, so before I commit, I'm wondering if I could ask those of you who are already 'live' on the French site if you have had any nibbles yet please?

Merci!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Not a jot........Nothing........Not even a goat's nibble.......In fact I will go as far as to say no! But hey for 25 quid you get a free translation that you can copy and paste onto other site's..............Is this freeloading?
Cheers
PC
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Paul! Thanks for that; I'm sorry the site's a bit of a fizzer as yet. Hopefully there'll be some human amuse-gueules (relax, I looked it up!) soon. You've reminded me - a very good point re having the translation to apply elsewhere at some future time. Freeloading? Good question - lets get the lawyers onto it!! I'd have paid for it but... :?

Alexia....
Fluffy....
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jane,

The moral bit. It would be paidforloading not freeloading.

The legal bit. If was still a lawyer I would love to advise on the questions. Who owns the copyright of the original text? Did that ownership change, and to whom, when the text was published by H-R? Did the ownership change, and to whom, when the text was translated? To H-R French site? To the translator? Who was paid for the translation? Do you now share copyright? I could keep my billing time-clock running very quickly with this sort of thing and then say "we need councel's opinion".

My lay opinion. You've paid for the translation, you've saved it and you will use it.

Fluffy
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I suspected as much Fluffs, which is why I thought you'd like to consider the question. Curly one, wot?! Thank goodness it's just hypothetical at this stage and I hope it stays that way.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I have had nothing but it is for an overpriced property in Marrakech, so I don't really expect anything. But I think that £25 for a good translation is a snip. Make sure you fill all the extra fields at the bottom to get your money's worth!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Excellent advice, Alan.
Jane, I have been away from home (& my computer) until now, so didn't have a chance to think about your translation........ except, how will you know if it is a good translation?
Best,
Alexia.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Believe it or not we just got a booking from H-R french site. I had to look at it three times because I could hardly believe it myself. It was for two weeks in high season from a Swiss family obviously in the French part.

Still got to put it into our availability calendar but just had to rush back and let you all know - it is the first thing we have ever got back from the site! What was the prize for the first booking through this site ????
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Oh ... I just saw that susan had an enquiry ... did that turn into a booking or is the trophy ours???? :)
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Clexane,
you have the trophy well done! My (one and only) enquiry was for the May half term holiday which was already booked...