Christianity

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
la vache!

Christianity

Post by la vache! »

I thought this was a scam (bad grammar, I hate it!), but on checking (I'm a bit of an incroyante) it turns out after doing a google search that the pastor does regular podcasts on behalf of Christianity. Still not sure though, any opinions welcome!!!

HELLO,
MY NAMES ARE PASTOR DOUGLAS GRAHAM FROM GRACE MISSION WORLD WIDE INC
WE NEED A RESERVATION IN YOUR HOTEL FOR OUR CHRISTIAN RETREAT THAT WILL COME UP 20TH NOVEMBER THROUGH 30TH NOVEMBER 2005.
THE DELEGATES WILL BE SIX IN NUMBER, AND WE NEED THREE DOUBLE ROOMS OR SIX SINGLE ROOMS FOR THE RETREAT.
PLEASE GET BACK TO ME IF THE DESIRE DATES ARE AVAILABLE AND ITS TOTAL RESERVATION (SERVICES) COST INCLUDING BREAKFAST/DINNER.
KINDLY STATE IT IN EURO CURRENCY EQUIVALENT.
THANKS
http://www.et.org/audio1.html
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Susan -

I think this could be on the up-and-up, even though all the info doesn't sync perfectly. The Mission does list a number of seminars around the world though none at the end of November. However, this could be a closed retreat so no great shock in that discrepancy.

Did Pastor Doug's phone number sync with that on the church's website (701 area code)?

Do you actually provide dinners? Or is Pastor Doug just way off on that one? :lol:
paolo

Post by paolo »

Why is he referring to a hotel? I would contact him through the email address given on the website - if you have a different email address for him it could just be someone posing as him.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
A-two

Re: Christianity

Post by A-two »

KINDLY STATE IT IN EURO CURRENCY EQUIVALENT.
What's that supposed to mean? This does not sound like a genuine inquiry from a US citizen called Douglas Graham, whom I have no doubt speaks fluent English even if he cannot spell, hence he would not refer to himself in the plural. Also, every pastor I have ever met has enough IQ points to understand the difference between a hotel and what you are offering, so I agree with Paolo this could be an imposter. It could also be a kid playing a prank.
Waves from America
Ju

Post by Ju »

I don't think this one sound too bad. Alot of people don't come across well on e-mail simply becasue they can't type.

I would follow it through, maybe phone them directly?

Ju
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I'd wonder if church web sites were the latest tool for frraudsters. Why believe an unknown web site more than an e-mail if the same alarm bells are ringing? What's to stop anyone building a web site around a mythical organisation? I hear a lot of bells ringing and they're not from a church.
Best,
Alexia.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I my opinion it's a scam. The following is freely available on the web, I find it intersting that his site has not been updated since 18 October 2004.

Domain ID:D65941-LROR
Domain Name:ET.ORG
Created On:18-Aug-1996 04:00:00 UTC
Last Updated On:18-Oct-2004 22:28:37 UTC
Expiration Date:17-Aug-2011 04:00:00 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Network Solutions LLC (R63-LROR)
Registrant ID:20142345-NSI
Registrant Name:Evangel Temple
Registrant Organization:Evangel Temple
Registrant Street1:3225 State Street
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Bismarck
Registrant State/Province:ND
Registrant Postal Code:58501
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.7012222552
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:jpatch@I-DIRECT.COM
Admin ID:21062887-NSI
Admin Name:Jon Patch
Admin Organization:Jon Patch
Admin Street1:765 Juniper Dr.
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Bismarck
Admin State/Province:ND
Admin Postal Code:58501
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.7012222552
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:jpatch@I-DIRECT.COM
Tech ID:21062887-NSI
Tech Name:Jon Patch
Tech Organization:Jon Patch
Tech Street1:765 Juniper Dr.
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Bismarck
Tech State/Province:ND
Tech Postal Code:58501
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.7012222552
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:jpatch@I-DIRECT.COM
Name Server:DNS1.I-DIRECT.NET
Name Server:DNS2.I-DIRECT.NET
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Cheers
PC
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

On looking at it again this morning, I agree with Paul, its a scam - is this what scammers are doing now, taking the identities of (potentially) real people? Anyway, Debk, no I'm not a hotel and don't do dinners, so I don't think its a genuine enquiry.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Identitie theft has been around in different forms for years, and is on the up and up. It got a whole lot easyer with the web as so much personal info is out there.
Cheers
PC
A-two

Post by A-two »

Paul Carmel wrote:I find it intersting that his site has not been updated since 18 October 2004.

Domain ID:D65941-LROR
Domain Name:ET.ORG
Created On:18-Aug-1996 04:00:00 UTC
Last Updated On:18-Oct-2004 22:28:37 UTC
Expiration Date:17-Aug-2011 04:00:00 UTC
Paul,
The WHOIS database shows records of when the Domain Name Registry was last updated, not when the website to which that domain name may be attached is changed. You can have a domain name without a website and the Registry is really not interested in what you do with your domain name provided you don't break any laws.

Looking at this record, I don't see anything to cause concern. There's no need to update the Registry unless there's a bill to pay, ownership or contact details change, so I would be more concerned if the reverse were true and there had been a recent change. This is a very early website indeed, since two letter domains were withdrawn early on. There's no way of knowing how many owners there have been since first registered in 96, possibly only one, but again, I would be more concerned if the Registry showed that the domain name had only been registered two days ago. For me, the site looks genuine. It's the ID of the person who sent the inquiry that's questionable.
Waves from America
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I find it intersting that his site has not been updated since 18 October 2004.
What's interesting about that? If one posts the truth in the first place why would it need to be updated? What changes the truth? Who changes the truth? Does the truth change according to who wants to hear it?

I'm not talking about an availability calendar, I'm talking about a person's identity.

Alan
debk

Post by debk »

The site itself says it was updated last month: Last Update - 9/14/2005

Susan, might you considering doing a "good deed" by emailing the address on the website (as Paolo suggests) and see if that pastor really sent the email? If he didn't, you would be doing him a huge favor in letting him know about this. I can imagine how I would feel in the same situation!

(And if it's a real inquiry, you can just send him on his way because you don't provide meals nor fit his hotel requirements.)

Just a thought... sorry to put my oar in again.
debk
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Joanna.....well you learn something new every day thank you for that.

Alan...Joanna pointed out my mistake, I just found it odd that web site had not been changed since 2004, which was not the case......maybe.
Cheers
PC
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

OK, I've tried e-mailing Pastor Doug, but none of the e-mail links work, so does this mean that the Evangel Temple (or at least the website) no longer exist?
debk

Post by debk »

OK. I'd stop there. Weird enough already.

Susan, I think it was very nice of you to try to reach him.

Pat on the back for you!