Anxiety about unpaid peak season multiple booking

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
harcourtv57

Anxiety about unpaid peak season multiple booking

Post by harcourtv57 »

We have booked the same peak season week in all three of our properties, for wedding guests. The booking was made 9 months ago by the groom, who paid min deposit. Because of the size of the booking, resulting in large balance, I offered payment terms in instalments but they didn't want to do that.

At various times over the past few months they have sent an e-mail asking if they can go round and view all the properties, which wasn't possible as they were occupied. Last week they contacted us again with the same request and asking for full address details as they were trying to arrange transport for guests. I reminded them that the balance was payable this week and once received we could provide them with full details. They agreed to pay by bank transfer so I gave them the details. But nothing has been paid and they are ignoring e-mails.

Am sure I am probably worrying unecessarily but am worried about the amount we were expecting which our bank account is in dire need of!

Does anyone else take larger deposits for multiple or peak week bookings - we usually ask for 20% with the balance payable 6 weeks before arrival
e-richard

Re: Anxiety about unpaid peak season multiple booking

Post by e-richard »

harcourtv57 wrote:.... they are ignoring e-mails.
I would think that with only 6 weeks to go before the wedding they are all pretty fraught and dealing with a multitude of details.

All I'm saying is that it may not be sinister, but you do need to persevere and keep chasing.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

would think that with only 6 weeks to go before the wedding they are all pretty fraught and dealing with a multitude of details.
spoken as someone whos dealt with a wedding not many moons ago :wink:
I agree, but can see why youre anxious harcourt, keep us posted wontcha .
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

THats exactly what I assumed that they are busy with arrangements etc.

I did also say that they were welcome to view if they turned up during a changeover but we don't have time to give people guided tours - and of course mostly they are occupied by other guests anyway
Martha

Post by Martha »

Do you have a phone number?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I think I would write to say 'understand busy with plans etc but' then give them a deadline by which the funds must be in your account or the booking will be cancelled and any cancellation fees due will be called for.

I like deadlines as it gives you permission to take the next step plus if they really are busy with plans for wedding they might need a sharp remindernor it will go to the bottom of the pile of 'things to do'.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I like deadlines too as it allows you to take control rather than hanging on.

I would call them if you have a phone number or try and get one if you have name and address. Failing that I would email saying that you have to have full payment by xyz to secure the booking otherwise you will have to re-advertise.

I understand they may have a wealth of things on their to do list but I would also have thought that being sure the accommodation is in place is one of the more important ones. Surely they wouldn't want to risk losing their booking so close to the wedding?

Best of luck.

Oh and yes I do take more money for anything out of the ordinary were I might be left exposed. So for example on 3 week bookings I ask for 75% upfront instead of 50%.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Just a thought - presumably the groom has made the booking for other people and is not actually staying himself. Who is actually responsible for payment?
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

In our case it would be The groom, if he made the booking. My T & C state that the booking is the responsibility of the person who makes the booking.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Ours too, and I was thinking that in this case if a number of guests had turned down the invitation (as the booking was made long before the invitations would normally be sent out) that the problem may be he doesn't want to have to tell you that he doesn't need half of the accommodation any more.

We once had a similar situation whereby some Russian relatives of a local, who were going to rent our house for the two weeks around his wedding, couldn't get visas (allegedly) and we ended up with 6 people for 4 nights instead of a house full for a whole week. The young couple clearly did not have the money for the full amount and we ended up with very much less income than anticipated. Fortunately it was out of season and we hadn't actually refused a booking but it could have been quite different.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

THanks all

Well the update is I managed to get hold of him, he apologised and said they would pay immediately by bank transfer. He asked again for the addresses of all the properties, so I gave the postcodes only and reiterated that full details would be sent as soon as the balance is received. He is also still asking to view the properties and I got the impression that they didn't want to pay up until they had seen them all. But this isn't possible as they are currently occupied (what part of 'already occupied by guests' are they not quite clear on?!)

So now its just a case of checking the bank account later in the week. . . .