Low allergen environment

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Paul Carmel

Low allergen environment

Post by Paul Carmel »

A few sites we are have a box to tick for "low allergen environment" What does this mean?
Cheers
PC
Garri

Post by Garri »

Paul, off the top of my head I would say it's an environment where the allergen count is low - the lower being the better :wink:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

That's right Garri.

An allergen is any substance which induces an allergic reaction and an allergy in an abnormal reaction to a substance which is normally harmless.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

It usually means - very clean, non-smoking, and no pets have ever trod therein. Nothing to cause an allergic reaction.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Christ on a bike that's a tall order! I think I will give that box a miss.
Cheers
PC
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul,

If your place is
very clean, non-smoking, and no pets
why not simply say so?

To claim
Nothing to cause an allergic reaction
is so wide as to meaningless and would expose the claimant to all sorts of spurious claims. It is a Pandora's box waiting to be opened.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Which nationality sites are you signing up for - I bet its not a French one, they usually want high allergen properties ( i.e one that allows both smoking and pets).
Can property owners specify that they would like low allergen guests too?
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Alan our place is spotless!!

is so wide as to meaningless and would expose the claimant to all sorts of spurious claims. It is a Pandora's box waiting to be opened

This why this box will have no tick!
Cheers
PC
marcus

allergies

Post by marcus »

this was part of a query we received this week.

'Wife is asthmatic, so we need to know whether or not this is a non-smoking property. Also, have pets been allowed recently? Wife is also allergic to dog/cat fur and dander.'

I said we should lie (in fact, we don't accept pets, people don't smoke inside, so nearly true, just I can't guarantee no one will have a crafty fag in the house, and I don't generally care much if they do) and it was for a 3 week booking next September I would have liked to get). Wife said we don't want neurotic americans that would ask this kind of question, they will always find something to complain about if they're so inclined - spiders, snakes, lizards, hornets and wasps, mattresses etc.

I wonder which we did...
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Wives are usually right.
Best,
Alexia.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Usually?? LOL :wink:
paolo

Post by paolo »

When I get asked if I have a low allergen environment, which I occasionally do, I just say that it is non-smoking, no-pets and clean. That is usually what they meant to ask but I suppose 'low allergen' is a euphemism that doesn't imply any fascistic tendencies in the enquirer towards smokers and pets.

I did also once get asked which cleaning products were used in the house - the lady was so sensitive that she could only stay in a place cleaned with bicarbonate of soda. Could be a niche market there for a new listing site.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Garri

Post by Garri »

Could be a niche market there for a new listing site.
Paolo, don't worry, I'm on it! :wink:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

As an owner who is a smoker and who has cats and who used to suffer from an extremely debilitating form of hay fever (an allergy), I think it should be an absolute obligation for the owner to present a property which is immaculately clean. I think it is a matter of choice for the owner to prohibit smoking and/or to exclude pets.

I think it is right that any visitor demands an immaculately clean place, on arrival. I think it is perfectly reasonable for a potential visitor to ask about the owner’s smoking and pets policy, perhaps even asking about cleaning products although I’m not sure about that one – it has the warning bells of someone wanting to create a liability that an owner doesn’t have.

What I totally reject is any suggestion of a guarantee that someone’s allergy, real or perceived, will not manifest itself during the stay. I can not, and will not, be held responsible for other people’s problems. Most genuine allergy sufferers manage to contain their problems during the course of their daily lives; they should continue to do so when on holiday or they should stay at home; they remain their problems, not mine.

I’ve just had a thought. Many people are allergic to fluff. I’d better keep my head well below the parapet.

Alan/Fluffy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

As guests renting we have never enquired about the allergy stautus pf a property despite hubby having allergy to feathers. WE had to go and buy some pillows in one place. It just never occured to us to enquire.