What's the worst regulation?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
greenbarn

What's the worst regulation?

Post by greenbarn »

I know there's a few of us who have, despite all odds, had some posts appear on the Visit Britain Accommodation Knowhow Forum (hereinafter AKH), but probably don't visit it too often.

However, there's a new thread started by AKH asking for views on the worst regulations affecting British Tourism (obviously not just our sector), as apparently the new Government(s) is having a good look at tourism, and one of the proposals is to give to the public the opportunity to challenge the regulations it deems are the worst.

AKH are looking for input.

BTW, if anyone who is not a member of AKH (you need to be a VB member, or I think you can pay just for AKH :roll: ) wants to suggest anything I'll happily post it as external input - or maybe some of us could take turns as I don't think VB like me very much at the moment as I keep asking them the questions they don't want asked :wink:

I'm actually a bit stuck for ideas at the moment, apart from the endless raft of petty legislation that affects us - taken individually, none is "the worst regulation"; lumped together they're a PITA. Some thought required.
jane reed

Post by jane reed »

i would say legislation is ok, as all businesses suffer from red tape.
i find planning the stangest and the hardest to understand.
We need planners that wish to encourage tourisum, i do not mean more accommodation but attractions and things to do. Encourage people to holiday in the uk. Why are we placing ugly caravans next to our beautiful beaches,i want lovely bistos behind glass over looking the beach. Lots of bike hire more cycle paths, exercise classes outside, walks organised by the tourist board with experts on local area and our wonderful food. I would say english tourist board be proud and sell england, the whole of england not just london. Council encourage small business, small seeds make trees.
i will get off soap box now.
Smile and the world smiles back
(some days its a grimace,but customers do not know)
Windy

Post by Windy »

Badly thought out things like DVD concierge licences for me - OK I guess they are looking for laws not commercial licence issues but it's little things like tat where VB should (and don't) fight our cornere that wind me up.

FHL repeal was another.

The stupidity of the Digital Economy Act is another - nobody thinks of the impact on the small operators - they just seem to want to keep Megacorps happy