Inaccurate VB start ratings on listing sites

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Windy

Inaccurate VB start ratings on listing sites

Post by Windy »

I was just looking at this site stayinbritain dot co dot uk after I got sent an email and realised it was one of the ones I must have signed up to for a free listing a while back.

I noticed that some of my competitors were claiming to be 5 star rated on the basis that their lodges were on a 5 star rated site.

Now we "only" get 4 Stars from VB so I rang to point out that they were misleading people by implying that properties were rated 5 * when it was in fact the park that was rated, and that on this basis nearly all the lodges in The Lakes could claim to be 5 star.

She wasn't interested , so I have asked them to remove my listing.

I can see how an owner could "innocently" make a mistake here, but if it's pointed out to the listing site they should surely at least promise to look into it .
:roll:
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

We got spammed (errr... I mean, emailed) by them today, too.

I assume you called the website owners rather than the logde owners, yes? For them to be disinterested is highly frustrating. I'm sure Trading Standards would be interested if you could be bothered.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

One of the more recent rags, sorry newsletters, from VB was hot on this very topic, and asking to be informed of accommodation that was claiming to be VB rated when not, or claiming a higher star rating than their current award, or even displaying an out of date sign.

IANAL (well, you knew that :lol: ), but some fairly recent changes in law put this very firmly into the category of misrepresentation, which is fraudulent trading and not a trivial matter. Misrepresentation applies to describing a property as "Four Star" or even "****" without any reference to VB - the average member of the public will infer an official status, and has therefore been misled.

It's definitely one for both VB and Trading Standards.

For those of us who have worked and paid for an official rating, the fact that some doss house can fraudulently claim a similar rating is somewhat galling......
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Perhaps they were 5 star and haven't renewed??

Had the same problem here and reported them to Visit Wales who showed the same disinterest.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

With my non-KC hat on - ie. with my other business running a rental listing site and tourism Web design company - we were once contacted by Trading Standards from down south somewhere.

One of the listings on our site was displaying a rating that was out of date and I think someone staying there had complained to TS who, in turn, were very hot on us addressing the issue. Wasn't really our fault as we remind advertisers to update listings on a monthly basis if they need it, but they were nevertheless keen for us to address it as a matter of urgency.

Similarly, there was a hotel site we once designed and hosted. A new owner came in and took the design in-house and then very soon 'gave up' on his new venture (actually he was wanted by Interpol but there lies another story), leaving the website in his wake. The place then became an Italian restaurant with the website still kicking around and showing an outdated AA rating I think it was. Even though we hadn't created the site in question, TS were keen for us - as the hosting company - to get it taken down, and even visited my parents' house in person (?!) because that's where I used to trade from about 12 years ago, and the WHOIS details were still pointing to there. (An email or telephone call might have been easier but never mind... :lol: :roll: )
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Windy

Post by Windy »

No - not 5 star Apex - I know the property :-)

Well it's a bit difficult because the owner of the place is question is a friend as they also own a lodge on our park as well as being a competitor with this lodge on another park...

I don't want to start major waves for them and would prefer it if the listing company simply amended their listing or asked them to do so.

I was rather suprised by the lack of interest from the listing company though!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Windy wrote:I was rather suprised by the lack of interest from the listing company though!
Let me guess... you didn't take out a gold listing. ;)
Windy

Post by Windy »

No - oddly enough I didn't :-)