Having no more availability due to misunderstanding

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
theoharis

Having no more availability due to misunderstanding

Post by theoharis »

Hello there,
I would like your opinion/suggestions on how best to handle this situation:
On the 8th of June I had an information request via Homelidays by a couple who wanted to stay in one of our villas for their honeymoon. After a few quick answer/reply emails (within 1 day) they said they loved it, wanted to book it and asked how to pay. I sent them the usual email with the 30-70 payment method upon which they said that they would like to pay the 70% when they arrived on the island.
I immediately replied that this is not acceptable and explained why, then I heard nothing from them for a week (all their other replies had been swift).
In the meantime two other guests appeared and booked via Paypal the available villas.
So guess what happens? the honeymooners showed up last night asking how to pay with Paypal....
I sent them a polite email explaining that there is no more availability and because it is their honeymoon I will try and find them another villa via my own acquaintances.... but it seems that it made the situation worse, they demand to pay and say they booked it and THEY will stay on my villa...

On the one hand I am flattered that someone like my villa so much on the other hand I am a bit worried on what to do next.
I will certainly find them something, but I am not sure that they will want it.
Should I contact Homelidays with the issue? is this something they can assist me with?

Best Regards
Theoharis
Tizfata

Re: Having no more availability due to misunderstanding

Post by Tizfata »

Hi Theoharis!
Homelidays will not be of any help.
What is not clear to me... Did the first couple paid the deposit?
Tiz
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
enid

Post by enid »

I just had the same thing. I pointed out that my e mail stated that they must reply to that e mail to say that they wanted to book when I would hold the dates provisionally - they didn't reply for 4 days and in that time I had a confirmed booking. That's just how it is and I apologised but so many people don't reply to re mails that I feel we have to go with the committed booking and I don' have a contract with anyone until I have received their booking form and deposit.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Im a bit confused as well :? , what is the 30-70 payment policy??

but if they havent already sent the deposit and booking form they havent booked ,try and help, but dont be bullied.
enid

Post by enid »

Is 30 - 7à the deposit and the balance. I agree if they have paid the deposit that booking is confirmed.
theoharis

Post by theoharis »

The 30-70 policy means that we get 30% of the rent as a deposit to secure the booking with the remaining 70% paid 20 days before the holiday starts.
The guests in question mentioned that they wanted the villa but when I told them about the 30-70 policy gave me the impression they had issues with paying all the money upfront plus the fact that we had no reviews in Homelidays.
I had not sent them a booking form yet and they certainly had not paid a deposit, because we had not finalised yet the term of the booking.
I am upset to mess up their honeymoon, but I am even more upset that they do not seem to accept that what was done, was done.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I am upset to mess up their honeymoon, but I am even more upset that they do not seem to accept that what was done, was done
You havent!! they havent either really,theyll get sorted Im sure.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

They said they wanted to book and gave terms that they wanted to book under. You told them those terms were not acceptable.

Ergo, there's no booking. 8)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kendalcottages wrote:They said they wanted to book and gave terms that they wanted to book under. You told them those terms were not acceptable.

Ergo, there's no booking. 8)
Might seem tough, but it's realistic and true.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

theoharis wrote:.... then I heard nothing from them for a week (all their other replies had been swift).
What you did was totally correct but I can understand why you may feel bad about it.

Just think now if you had told the second set of guests that the time was unavailable and your honeymoon couple had in the meantime found other accommodation but not bothered to tell you. This is sadly very common and its why you should not feel bad. So just chalk it up to experience, and think about how to improve your process in the future.

Having experienced exactly this situation in my early days, following advice received here on LMH, I now add this paragraph in every reply to the first enquiry:
Finally, I really should mention that we are constantly getting enquiries for this accommodation, and a reservation cannot be guaranteed until both the booking form and deposit are received. If you need more time to think about it, please do email back and we'll try and work with you if possible.
I'm even considering dropping that second sentence.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

NO DEPOSIT = NO BOOKING
Then, are you sure that getting the balance 20 days before their arrival date is enough for you to re-sold the place in case they do not pay he balance?
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
James3214

Post by James3214 »

ummm honeymoon...are you sure it is not a scam?
These sort of situations always set my alarm bells ringing.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Why would it be a scam cos they want to spend their honeymoon at a villa?
theoharis

Post by theoharis »

First of all I will have to agree with Richard and thank you all for your support. Although I was quite confident I was doing the right thing, your thoughts/opinions have been very valuable!
So thank you!

I have sent them a recommendation for alternative dates and another lovely hotel which I hope they will take!
Fingers crossed!

James you think it can be a scam? what kind?
Lets wait for the next sequel!
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I have just changed my first and second reply letters adding the phrase that if I have not received both booking form and payment the accommodation is not reserved, and that we can get multiple enquiries for same dates.

Originally I said I would hold it for 5 days, but as I was getting an enquiry every day for the same dates I didn't feel it was reasonable to say to others sorry I'll get back to you in 5 days. I wouldn't wait 5 days myself on the off chance.

That said if someone sounded genuinely interested I would recontact them to say that I have had another enquiry so can they confirm if they really are interested. Thus got a 5 day booking and lost a 2 week enquiry. But the enquiry might not have converted and the interested party has.

Good luck with it though. Try not to feel too guilty, I can't see that you did anything wrong, they are just dishing up emotional manipulation.

Wally