The - review !

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Yorkshire

The - review !

Post by Yorkshire »

Last edited by Yorkshire on Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Looks like a nice, easy-to-use site, Adrian.

A few misc. points:

- I don't think the bathroom shot looks quite right with the shower curtain draped as it is.

- the property looks to be right on the road. This might put some people off. But... it looks to me like it could be a quiet road... I would emphasise that fact if it is.

- the directions don't really direct anyone (eg. what motorway junction to come off at or whatever...). It's more just a map. If you really just want to give a map (and directions separately to anyone who books), you might want to re-label that page as 'Map' rather than 'Directions'

- your link to "Holmfirth Visitors Guide" takes me to a site where one of the first links that catches my eye is "Search for accommodation" - do you want to be sending people away to other properties quite so readily?

Hope this helps to start off. Others will be able to add much more, I'm sure.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
La Chouette

The barn at Holmfirth - review

Post by La Chouette »

Sorry this is a quickie but I have a room to finish cleaning.

First impressions - I like the look of it, but please get rid of the apostrophes on your terms and conditions on the menu bar!

Jan
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

Gotto nip out shopping for my grandmother. Will edit this poost later to add my comments.

One thing i will say straight away is that I dontthink there is any real need to splash cash on SEO companies... Most of this stuff you can learn yourself and do a pretty good job at.

Until later. DC
Ju

Post by Ju »

Just quickly, 2 things jump to mind:

1: the font is too small. You could considered increaing it by a couple of points.

2: Be clear up front what you are offing. You say luxury accomodation on the front page but you don't use the term holiday. I had to go to the accommodation page to see how many you sleep, that information should be immediate.

Ju

PS. Great location, my Dad used to live in Holmfirth so I know it well.
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

hi

had a quick look at the site and have to say the property is gorgeous.

now, the rest ...

in your gallery of pics i think there are too many exterior pics of the house ~ not really necessary.

at the bottom of the home page the following links come up as broken when clicked on (they do work at the top links part though):
- gallery
- accommodation
- directions
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I'm afraid the external picture of the house put me off. It needs some pots of flowers or something to brighten it up. I think the curtains/blinds are all closed? Perhaps open some windows. It just does not look friendly.

I have to say that the interior looks 'over-designed' for my taste. A bit cluttered with accessories? I would certainly take all the stuff off the dining table. I know many LMHers think this is 'selling the dream' but it your case I think it definitely adds clutter to the photos and makes it harder to see what is actually on offer.

I'm sure Jim will be along to comment on the photos but I am not convinced that switching every light on works - again it clutters the photos.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I really like the interior shots which (to my eye) convey a elegant feel. The important exterior shots of the property are a bit dreary by comparison and have a strong warm brownish cast. Perhaps shoot late in the day and turn on room lights to give warmth and 3-diamentionality to the house? The scenic shots exhibit a strong magenta cast - I'd add green and and little yellow to bring them back to neutral.

Jim

Image Image
Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire »

Margaret wrote:I'm afraid the external picture of the house put me off. It needs some pots of flowers or something to brighten it up. I think the curtains/blinds are all closed? Perhaps open some windows. It just does not look friendly.

I have to say that the interior looks 'over-designed' for my taste. A bit cluttered with accessories? I would certainly take all the stuff off the dining table. I know many LMHers think this is 'selling the dream' but it your case I think it definitely adds clutter to the photos and makes it harder to see what is actually on offer.

I'm sure Jim will be along to comment on the photos but I am not convinced that switching every light on works - again it clutters the photos.
I look forward to you staynig in the barn, it sounds perfect for you for a 3 week stay. :)
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

... it sounds perfect for you for a 3 week stay.
I wouldn't knock Margaret's opinions, even in a joke. When I was building my site, Margaret gave me a roasting about my front page. And she was spot on because the final version bore no resemblance to its initial incarnation. Tough love beats platitudes when you're motoring around the learning curve.

Jim
Austria

Post by Austria »

Looks fine.

But you may wish to consider, i) things to do in the area?

and a section about ii) us? why you like the cottage, why you love the area, it makes it a bit more personal.

Also think about ii) doing a blog? With a link to and from the site to the blog. It will increase your hits.

iv) Sign up with statcounter? or equivalent to keep an eye on your hits.

Good luck, we are just over the hill from you.
GoDot

Post by GoDot »

I get the following 403 error message when I attempt to access your site

Code: Select all

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Last edited by GoDot on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

Same here.

Cannot see the site, Error 403
Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire »

YES just doing some work on it today, hope to have it all back by 9pm.... nightmare.