Photos - how much is it worth paying a pro?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The photos are wonderful too. I tend to do all my photos as Clexane does, on a sunny day when the houses are clean, beds are made up and we have no guests in - sometimes it is a very rushed affair on a Saturday between departures and arrivals! If you book a photographer and it rains, do you still have to pay? How long does it take to photograph a shot?
I do like the idea of the table being laid, or having flowers and wine out - I never have time to do that either - it looks a lot more welcoming!
lakegarda

Post by lakegarda »

In my case, we were doing only interiors, so the weather outside didn't matter. To do the exteriors will be tricky as Lake garda hasa funny microclimate and sometimes if it is hazy you can't see the lake. So when the odd clear day comes, you just have to call in the troops last minute. I have agreed with the photographer that the next time we get a clear day, he'll come on short notice...

How long does it take to photograph a shot?
Some were quicker than others: on average about 30 minutes to set up lighting and position everything correctly, sometimes longer. I also went round the apartments the day before cleaning and laying the tables etc.

One tip: listen to the photographer's suggestions. At one point we disagreed on the viewpoint, and he was soooo right.

Sarah[/quote]
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Sarah,
Did you find that the trade fair was a worthwhile investment?
Best,
Alexia.
mvus

Post by mvus »

Susan wrote:If you book a photographer and it rains, do you still have to pay?
As a professional photographer I wouldn't dream of photographing a holiday rental in "Sunny Spain" unless it was a sunny day and have previously had to postpone a shoot and rearrange on a different day. You are selling a holiday and people imagine themselves relaxing at your property and enjoying the weather

I would assume that was the same of others and wouldn't pay for a photo shoot on a cloudy day.
lakegarda

Post by lakegarda »

alexia s. wrote:Sarah,
Did you find that the trade fair was a worthwhile investment?
I have another business (property finding and consulting for purchases etc) and also manage rentals for about 15 properties, so yes, it was worth it for me. But if you have one property I think the money (which is considerable - several thousand pounds minimum) would be better spent on internet marketing. I got one (ONE!!) booking for rentals but lots of purchasers through the trade fair. However, I handed out hundreds of brochures so who knows how many will pull it out early in 2006 and decide to book an apartment!
Sarah
paolo

Post by paolo »

I think the pictures are definitely worth the investment when you consider their lifespan. They are a great improvement. As well as, hopefully, having an eye for it, pros simply have all the equipment that we can't afford.

I think Sarah's method is spot on, from finding the photographer to digging deep to pay him. And that Before and After link just shows the wisdom of hiring a professional for your photos.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Sarah, "lots of purchasers through the trade fair" - did they actually purchase? Those of us who sell one day might go this way.............
Best,
Alexia.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Sarah,
Thank you for sharing the before and after photos. The contrast is striking. I understand this photographer had a special wide angle lens, but do you know what kind of camera he was using and did he use strobe lighting?

It seems to me that it doesn't matter how good a person is with their top of the line digital camera, (and I try as hard as any person), results like this are only possible using a traditional 35mm camera or 4x5 Hasselblad or similar, plus strobe lighting. The film negative is then scanned to create the digital image. Is that how these were done?
Waves from America
lakegarda

Post by lakegarda »

alexia s. wrote:Sarah, "lots of purchasers through the trade fair" - did they actually purchase? Those of us who sell one day might go this way.............
Hi Alexia
Yes, they did purchase. But there was a prior relationship in that I had built up via a mailing list, so lots of people had been in touch with me for some time (some a year or so). When I contacted them to let them know about the fair, they made an appointment with me at the fair to meet me, and we took it from there. When I say "lots" I don't deal with many people each year, but most end up buying (I go for quality, not quantity ;-) and the trade fair was a great opportunity for people to see who they were dealing with.
Sarah
Last edited by lakegarda on Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
lakegarda

Post by lakegarda »

Joanna wrote:Sarah,
Thank you for sharing the before and after photos. The contrast is striking. I understand this photographer had a special wide angle lens, but do you know what kind of camera he was using and did he use strobe lighting?

It seems to me that it doesn't matter how good a person is with their top of the line digital camera, (and I try as hard as any person), results like this are only possible using a traditional 35mm camera or 4x5 Hasselblad or similar, plus strobe lighting. The film negative is then scanned to create the digital image. Is that how these were done?
I don't know what strobe lighting is! He had two large lights with him with a sort of lampshade around them to direct the lights, and the camera was an old-fashioned looking thing with the black sheet that he put over his head. When you looked through the viewfinder, the image was upside down. He did tell me that it wasn't a digital camera, that he would scan it into digital format later. That's all I know (knowing nothing at all about photography!)
Sarah
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Thanks, Sarah.
Re the photos: I agree, of course. But.... the comparison isn't totally fair. The new bedroom photo is enhanced by the colour & form of the chair (absent before) & the bedspread is a LOT better! The sitting room now has a beige, not red, settee as the focus - this alone makes a big difference to the atmosphere (more calm) & the space (light colours always make a room look bigger). You could never have got the optical effects yourself, of course.
So, the photos are terrific - but the reason isn't just technical.
Best,
Alexia.
lakegarda

Post by lakegarda »

alexia s. wrote:Thanks, Sarah.
Re the photos: I agree, of course. But.... the comparison isn't totally fair. The new bedroom photo is enhanced by the colour & form of the chair (absent before) & the bedspread is a LOT better! The sitting room now has a beige, not red, settee as the focus - this alone makes a big difference to the atmosphere (more calm) & the space (light colours always make a room look bigger). You could never have got the optical effects yourself, of course.
So, the photos are terrific - but the reason isn't just technical.
Hi Alexia, you're right: the chair in the bedroom was added by the photographer, previously it was in another corner of the room. For before photos with the beige covers on the settee, see www.ilpalazzo.co.uk - that will give you a better comparison. It's still striking! PS the before photos with the beige settee were also taken with a wide-angle lens on a good camera, but by a keen amateur without lighting.
Sarah