Would love some feedback please on my site.

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
superpp

Would love some feedback please on my site.

Post by superpp »

Hi,

Please review my site and provide some feedback.
It's not completely finished (internal photo's missing until our next visit), as we are currently still in the buying process.

I've done it myself so it's not professional standard as it's my first website attempt!!

www.hisaronu-apartment.com

superpp
Last edited by superpp on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

hi ~ had a quick look at your site and two things stand out.

1. typos on homepage (ur apartment for example)

2. no photos of inside of apartment? that would turn me off straight away. (maybe you have pics elsewhere on the site? but if so, i didn't see them straight off).

but checking your availability calendar, you are doing super well anyway :)
La Chouette

Post by La Chouette »

Hello and welcome superpp

I'll jump in first.....I like the overall look of your site and I found it easy to navigate. I would have been very pleased if my first attempt had been as good.

Have you thought about making internal and external links within the site? For example, on your home page you mention the airport, and you could make that a hyperlink to the airport website so people could click and see where it is in relation to your place.

Someone will no doubt be along to comment that every page should have a 'call to action' so no matter where in your site a person 'lands' (via a search engine) they're encouraged to do something!

Your home-page has a misplaced apostrophe - its as a possessive never has one:
the town of Fethiye with it's fantastic
Good luck,

Jan
superpp

Post by superpp »

thanks for the early feedback.

now found the 'ur' it was only displaying on IE not firefox, also corrected the 'its'.

as I originally mentioned, internal photo's are a problem till our next visit out there (currently still in the buying process), last time there was no furniture inside as it's new.

I've blocked out the availabilty calendar for this year, as we intend to sort out the interior later this year and actively market for next year.

keep the comments coming, it's reassuring I'm on the right track but these small tweaks are welcome.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I like the look of the place, superpp, and the simplicity of the home page. The only general reservation I would have about this page is that it is rather text-heavy and maybe could do with another image and some bullet points instead of some of the text.

Just a couple of specific comments:

Some of the copy has too many adjectives does not read naturally. Often 'less is more' is a good guide when it comes to descriptions. One way to find out if it flows right is to try saying it out loud and see if it works as speech. For example
Our apartment is ideally located offering beautiful and a quiet, spacious holiday home in close vicinity to the restaurants, bars and vibrant nightlife of Hisaronu
would read better as

Our spacious holiday apartment is in a quiet location but very convenient for the restaurants, bars and vibrant nightlife of Hisaronu

Actually I would wonder how both these statements can be true (quiet versus vibrant night life close by), which then brings me to the question of the proximity of your apartment to the pool. My experience of guests' attitudes to being close to pools is that more than 50% do not necessarily find this to be a big advantage as it can be very noisy during peak holiday times, so I might be inclined not to make too much of it.

In the photos, I would definitely lose the one which looks directly through the railings to the pool - it does not add anything to the distant shots.

In the bedroom, you need something on both sides of the bed or it will appear that the person sleeping on the side without the chest will have nowhere to put book, glass of water etc. Personally I think it is important to have bedside lights as well unless the wall lights shed really good light for reading.

I hope this is helpful. Being a creative type I leave any technical comments to those who are much better equipped than I am to make them.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
superpp

Post by superpp »

my uncle was looking at the site on an ipad but told me he didn't find my photo's.

can anyone with a mac / ipad have a look at the photo's page on my site and let me know if the slideshow works?

It works on all browsers I've tried on Windows and Linux but never tried anything from Apple.

superpp

Post by superpp »

Hi everyone,

I've taken on lots of advice and read various guides over the last few months and have now revamped my site to make it look much more modern.
It's now flash based through moonfruit (which I know not everyone likes), but they also provide a HTML version for non-flash viewers.

I'm still awaiting better pictures so I know they are poor especially the internal ones. As we've only just completed the purchase we've not been back yet (going soon though).
I'm not sure the site is descriptive enough at the moment, I intended to let the pictures do the talking (but like I said need proper internal one's to do this).
Further guidance/criticism is welcome.

GoDot

Post by GoDot »

superpp wrote:my uncle was looking at the site on an ipad but told me he didn't find my photo's.

can anyone with a mac / ipad have a look at the photo's page on my site and let me know if the slideshow works?

It works on all browsers I've tried on Windows and Linux but never tried anything from Apple.

Ipads and iphones don't support flash by default (another reason not to use flash, but you can jailbreak them and do some hacking though). Steve Jobs posted up a list of reasons why here - http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/
I wanted to jot down some of our thoughts on Adobe’s Flash products so that customers and critics may better understand why we do not allow Flash on iPhones, iPods and iPads.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I am pretty much in complete agreement with Steve Jobs about Flash.

Having said that, I have seen a few websites that used Flash in an effective way, without being too much about unnecessary bells and whistles. Jimbo's is one, and I think he uses Moonfruit too, so I won't tell you to stop using Flash. But don't expect Steve to change his mind anytime soon.

Now I'd like to see him write a post about why he won't enable focus-follows-mouse in OS X. It has nothing to do with this website review, but it's another thing that Jobs has decreed to be stupid, except this time he's wrong. :)

Back to this website: I think the font may be a little small. It was readable for me, but it might not be so for everyone. I also think that you should try breaking up your text into shorter paragraphs, because it would make the same content easier to digest. But I like your color scheme and love all those photos of the gorgeous blue pool. Can't wait to see better (and more) interiors.
Brooke
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Jimbo's is one, and I think he uses Moonfruit too ...
Yes, it's eerie looking at somebody's website and seeing echoes of your own. Bit like glancing in the mirror and suddenly noticing your father looking back at you!

Jim
superpp

Post by superpp »

fonts increased, I'll keep tweaking...
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Ok on my mac looked at your photos and the slide show is working but you need to look at your photo titles, some named, some numbered, nothing consecutive 11,2,6.
january

Post by january »

Using IE 8 browser with standard security settings, the following is displayed in the security bar :" To protect your security Internet Explorer has blocked this site from downloading files to your computer - click here for options "

The blocked file is snippet.cgi
superpp

Post by superpp »

wallypot good point although I'll probably leave that till next month when I take better pictures.

january no idea what that could be, must be something that moonfruit uses?
january

Post by january »

yes looks that way, if I click the security bar to allow the file to be downloaded, then IE text box says " unable to download snippet.cgi from moonfruit.com "

The site loads normally without security bar warning if http://www.hisaronu-apartment.moonfruit.com is used as the URL