Donating a stay to charity

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
SherborneCottages

Donating a stay to charity

Post by SherborneCottages »

Hello all,

I am in the process of trying to donate some weeks in our properties to the great-looking Homes With Heart charity and while I was looking through the website I was thinking about the very small minority of people who who actually fit the bill.

I'm not saying it's not fantastic, it really is!!! I just mean that there are lots of other people out there who could ALSO do with a free break so I was looking for similar sites.

A quick search on the forum came up with the Family Holiday Association but I can't see how you donate stays to them. I'll call when the office is open and I'm sure they'll explain but I was wondering if anyone knew of any other sites that offer anything similar?

Seems so dreadful to have an empty apartment for a week (or more in the off-season) when it could be used by somebody who would really appreciate it.

I look forward to hearing your responses or even to hearing any stories of experiences you've had with the above or similar charities!!
Windy

Post by Windy »

Only just spotted this.

Homes With Heart is wonderful and deserves huge support.

I came across them having read elsewhere about a terminally ill child who needed a holiday. I initially tried to contact Macmillan about donating holidays but they weren't interested and so I wondered about trying to set something up myself with help form people here.

In searching the web I came cross Homes With Heart, and realised that Jane Pallisser was already doing it better than I could ever have done.

We've only had one stay from them so far but it was lovely to be able to help Jane out here. Our guests were lovely and you get back more than you give. :)
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Wow that looks amazing, I'm going to register our house with them.

Here's the link: Homes With Heart
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

That's interesting. I hadn't realised they are now taking properties outside of the UK.
pambon

Post by pambon »

HL do a similar thing for children with cerebral palsy. They contact owners asking if they'd be willing to have a weeks stay at their property auctioned at a gala dinner. Whoever wins the auction with the highest bid, which obviously goes to the charity, comes to stay.

You get to choose the dates available for the stay which is useful for off-season periods.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Pambon, yes, the HL auction is highly laudable but its a completely different proposition. I, too auction a week in each of our properties each year, but in this model, the charity get the cash, and the successful bidder gets the holiday.

Homes with Heart take this to a whole new level ensuring that it is the actual family suffering misfortune who get the holiday.

I think this is a superb idea, I have watched them grow from the start and wish them lots of success.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
pambon

Post by pambon »

e-richard wrote: Homes with Heart take this to a whole new level ensuring that it is the actual family suffering misfortune who get the holiday.

Yes I agree, I didn't know of their existance. As soon as we are back on track after our forthcoming renovations and we have a good year (this year has been a disaster :cry: ) I will certainly sign up.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Does anyone know whether HwithH is interested in holidays in b&bs? I can see it being less appealing because it's not self-catering but I'd love to be able to offer a week.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Jane Palliser from Homes with Heart has posted on LMH several times since Jan 2008, not sure if she still looks in, but you could try PMing if not.
viewtopic.php?t=6096&highlight=jane+pallisser
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Thanks for that, LV. I sent an enquiry via their website so I'll post here if I hear anything.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

And I never did hear anything. :(
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Maybe try again? Took ages before I was contacted, but not that long! She will be very busy I'm sure, but it's worth persisting.

I'm now listed, and notice lots of views of my website from their link, but I'm not expecting a quick take up.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Oops I fell victim to the phantom duplicate posting!
shamac

Post by shamac »

I offered my house to Homes With Heart last year but no takers as yet. I recently contacted Kids Company-as the founder Camilla Batmanghelidjh is one of my heroines-link if you don't know them

http://www.kidsco.org.uk/ I have offered them the use of my house for a family for a week and they have bitten my hand off-maybe some others might be interested in helping them especially if you are in decent travelling distance of London-which we are not (Northumberland!).
The harder you work, the luckier you get.
janepalliser

Homes with Heart

Post by janepalliser »

Hello everyone ... I'm Jane, the founder of Homes with Heart and I'm very sorry that I've been a recluse. With one thing and another, I took on too much last year but a couple of projects that I work on draw to a halt in July and then Homes with Heart and my family will be all that remain. Yipee!

Thank you, John, for sending me the laymyhat link. I'm glad that you all think it's a good idea. Some houses on the Directory haven't been taken up yet but that is usually just because the families we've been working with can't get there. The more hospices and GPs we meet, in more varied locations, should fix this. What's amazing, though, is that so many of you want to help and it means so much to the nurses and families looking at the website. Honestly .... knowing that complete strangers are willing to help, even though they can't always take up the offer, is really overwhelming.

99% of the holidays we've helped arrange are in the UK but if you want to register foreign properties too, we're more than happy to have them. I'm looking into redesigning the website to make it easier for families to look through and will have a category for overseas.

It's still me working from my kitchen in Surrey, but I've been joined by Sam and Ann - both working from home. A mum of a family who went on holiday, has also been in touch. She's just completed a course on marketing and social networking and is going to help HWH find make the best use of these. I have to admit defeat when it comes to Facebook and Twitter .... Beyond email, Laymyhat is my limit!

After this summer, when I'm focusing on HWH full time, it'll fly!