What plants for a hanging basket without daily watering

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Doods16

What plants for a hanging basket without daily watering

Post by Doods16 »

Is there such a thing?

I've thought about geraniums which I think will be our best bet, although still not convinced, but is there anything anyone has tried and succeeded with?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Succulents...and you can get some wonderful varieties.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Doods16

Post by Doods16 »

Ooh clever!

Thanks Mouse. Will have a look around.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I once saw the roof of an outbuilding completed covered with carefully planted succulents that relied only on rainwater for its survival. It was doing well. Geraniums will tolerate a lot of drought but (from observation of our tubs), I'm not sure that they do as well as those that are more regularly watered.

Jim
pambon

Post by pambon »

It depends where you are. Even in the UK hanging baskets need occasional watering!

Here they use succulents and trailing petunias - but they need watering in this heat. Anything in a tub/jar/vase needs watering occasionally. Plants in soil need less 'cos their roots delve deep looking for humidity and water.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

oh...just thought of another good tip I was given, well 2 actually.

Watering hanging baskets: use ice cubes. As they melt slowly all the water is absorbed unlike when watered with a watering can...the water runs straight through in the main.

And a product called 'swell gel' here. It's a type of gel you put around the roots and when youwater it absorbs a huge amount and then releases it slowly to the roots.
I've used it and can confirm it's excellent.
I'm sure it must be available elsewhere?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Martha

Post by Martha »

Is there any way you can use an automated watering system? Not to expensive, and work a treat!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

What a good idea re the ice cubes!!! Only downside is I don't have the room in my freezer to make sufficient for our needs.
Doods16

Post by Doods16 »

Thanks for all of the ideas.

I will experiment and report back if any work, but don't hold out too much hope. I think two weeks without water is just about 13 days too long in this heat!

Even in the UK, I always managed to murder my hanging baskets within a few weeks of planting and I was using swell gel!

It might have to be automated watering, although I still like the succulents idea.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I had the same problem and didn't want to put onto neighbours to do extra watering. There is a small factory near our village which assembles artificial plants etc. I was surprised at how realistic some of them look.

Ok, close up you can tell but I bought some summer baskets and winter foliage ones for my cottage and swap them over depending on the season. Even some of the local folk were fooled by them. At least they do give some kerb appeal and a nice focal point for guests photographs. I'm getting some window boxes made up for next season.

http://www.treelocate.com/artificial_ha ... askets.htm
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Mouse wrote: And a product called 'swell gel' here. It's a type of gel you put around the roots and when youwater it absorbs a huge amount and then releases it slowly to the roots.
I've used it and can confirm it's excellent.
I'm sure it must be available elsewhere?

Mouse
x
I heard of this and mentioned it a few months back to the guy in Gamme Vert (French gardening chain) and he said it sounded great but hadn't arrived in France yet to his knowledge - good opportunity for someone to set up an import business ?
starcana

Post by starcana »

I've got an automatic watering system for my baskets as even in Cornwall they need daily watering. But for the winter, so the brackets are just left empty I put up faux box balls which look very real, even close up (got them off ebay) and we get lots of comments about them, with people touching them to see if they're real!