Supplement for pool heating?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Bellywobble

Supplement for pool heating?

Post by Bellywobble »

We've just taken a November booking on the basis that we will heat the pool.

We have an oil fired system that we've never used but which does work. We will have to buy a solar cover and roller but it's worth it to get a full price booking in November, especially as they are paying a supplement for us to keep the apartment unoccupied while they are there.

I'm hoping that being able to advertise the pool as heated will bring in more shoulder bookings so I want to include it on our ads as soon as possible.

The pool is 8x4 and I'll probably have to start heating it a few days before people arrive.

Does anyone have any idea what sort of supplement I could charge for heating?
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I don't know the actual answer but I know it will be a lot because you have to assume at least some renters will treat it like air conditioning which tends to be left on regardless of need and often with the windows open, unless there is a limit on electricity consumption. The equivalent of this in pool heating would be trying to keep it at a constant 35 and not replacing the cover at night.

Can you measure the oil consumption and charge based on usage? The manufacturer of the system should be able to give you an idea of how much it will use in certain conditions in order to give the renters an idea : in other words, if outside temp is x and they want to heat it to y degrees, including putting a cover on at night (which will help enormously).
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about contacting the manufacturer. Sounds like a good idea.

Once we've had the heating on we will have a much better idea as we'll then be able to measure the consumption. I think I was really hoping that there would be someone here who charges a supplement or has been charged one.

We will put the system on a timer so consumtion will be limited, but it will be tricky to get it right for the first time.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Have you got a friendly local letting agent who has some houses with heated pools on the books? They might be able to give a ball-park figure although it is probably how long is a piece of string when you consider the different fuels and the requirements of individual clients. We have friends with an electric, heat-exchanger system which is supposed to be really fuel efficient but they keep it soooooo hot and although they only visit maybe a week at a time in winter their bills are stratospheric.

Maybe you could build in an amount which would cover normal consumption (and tell them what it is) but they pay anything on top of that? We do this with water because it comes in a tanker and is horrendously expensive. We build in plenty and it is rarely exceeded but those who go over tend to do so in a BIG way! :shock: :shock:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Try checking adverts for competitive properties. I've seen lots of quotes around the £100 per week mark, and when I was considering installing heating, I did some very basic Market Research by asking guests who wanted heating whether they would be prepared to pay that much and 100% (*) said yes.

This may sound a lot, but remember you will need to start the heating a good 5 days before they arrive.

(*) 100% = 3 out of 3
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
PPS

Post by PPS »

100 to 150 per week is not unusual in the Algarve with the temperature set to 30 degrees. (Hopefully locked at that too so folks can't mess with it).

Have seen several situations where the owners take electricity readings (electric pool heating) and charge 10cents a unit which is actually slightly below cost but it does have the effect of focusing peoples mind on consumption !
Established for 23 years in the Vale do Lobo, Quinta do Lago, Vilamoura area and still learning !