Do follow up emails to enquiries generate bookings for you?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
islandshine

Do follow up emails to enquiries generate bookings for you?

Post by islandshine »

Following up can be done but not in so desperate manner. Just offer more information on a product with best deals for it and if they respond, then you can take it from there.

Emails cannot be overdone and some people are really allergic to such offers. Use it to a moderate extent.
http://stgeorgeislandvacationproperties.com St. George Island Vacation Properties
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

Giddy Goat wrote:
pepsipuss wrote:I think it is important to do this if it is a big property because they are often trying to sort out holiday dates and transport for several different people.
Yes, excellent point PP.

bananacake, have a read of this topic. I think there are probably other topics which mention this and similar services too:

viewtopic.php?t=8231

Thanks so much for sharing that thread. It looks like its not 100% reliable then.... :(

I think maybe the best thing to do is to send a gentle email reminder to check if they need any further information. Also ask them in your second email if they received your email as you have concerns as to whether it went into their junk mail and advise that if they dont reply you will call them to follow up.

You think that would work? :)
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

bananacake wrote:.... and advise that if they dont reply you will call them to follow up.
That is a step too far IMHO.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Annew

Post by Annew »

I do somtimes follow up, particularly at this time of the year when I am getting a huge amount of enquiries.

I usually use the tack that "we have had other enquiries for the dates you are interested in and we don't wish to disappoint you" de da de da etc.... and that usually spurs serious enquirers into making a confirmed booking. if I don't hear anything back within 24 hours I mark the enquiry as dead!
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
brenda

Post by brenda »

Agree with e-richard!

Saying you will call if you do not hear from people is definitely a step too far.

If someone did this to me I would feel I was being harrassed and would put me off sending enquiries to any further properties in case it happened again!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yep - deffo a no-no.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

As a general rule, I don't bother... unless I have someone who sounded like they were very much on the verge of booking and then I hear nothing further; I might sometimes follow it up then.

Yesterday, I happened to be going through some old enquiries and found one from somebody who had expressed interest in staying with us next year. The last message in the discussion stated that he was going to speak to his wife about dates and get back to me. I noticed he never had, so I dropped him a quick note to say that bookings were starting to come in a bit more for next year and if he wanted me to check any dates for him, I could do so. He emailed back, asked about restaurants, etc. and I tried to help where I could. By the end of the day he had booked for May next year so that was clearly worth the effort on that occasion.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mmm, yes, take your point on that one KC , nice one! May (and October) is a difficult month for us to let so maybe I too would make some exceptions to my general rule of hoof in those circs!
LPC

Post by LPC »

We don't follow up routinely, as a matter of policy. We use Orange France e-mail, and this allows us to send an e-mail AND know when it was opened and read by the recipient. If we don't get the acknowledgement back, then and only then do we send a follow up, asking whether they received the e-mail. It is possible for people to refuse to send back the acknowledgement (a small box appears asking the recipient if s/he agrees to acknowledge receipt), but it is rare for this to happen.

I believe, but am not sure, that it is possible to set up MS Outlook/Express to do the same.
http://maison-bourgeoise.co.nf

Dearest Josette, our flock leader and friend, passed to the astral on 27 January, 2015. Roam free, dear one! xxx
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

LPC wrote:
I believe, but am not sure, that it is possible to set up MS Outlook/Express to do the same.
Yes, but I think the recipient has the option to refuse to send confirmation of receipt. I always decline the option if given, no idea why, maybe I just don't like being checked up on!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

We only follow up, with a single email, if an enquirer has expressed a keen interest (not hard to identify the genuine ones) and somebody else has popped up looking for the same period. Seems only courteous when you have been round the block with Mr and Mrs Keen. But we would never phone in the same circumstances (too intrusive) unless those guests had stayed previously and we had a relationship with them.

Following up too hard and too often can introduce a note of desperation into the proceedings. And that's just not sexy.

Jim
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I agree it's all in the wording and I usually say something along the lines of asking if I can provide any further information to help them decide if the villa is right for their holiday. Hopefully it appears as helpful rather than desperate.

I've just done that with an enquirer who Mr M replied to whilst I was in the UK and we heard nothing back (looking at 3wks May/June so worthwhile chasing).
I sent a courtesy email explaining I was back and asking if she needed any further information to help her decide.
I am now in dialogue with her.

GG raises a good point about competition. In the 6 years we've been doing this our competition has grown considerably...so I like to feel it may give us a slight edge if someone is deliberating between our place and another.

For next year, having read and digested MGs approach, I'm also doing a 2 page pdf 'mini' brochure I will send each enquirer so they can print it off for the rest of the party.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Years ago, I signed up for notification of properties on a site called holidayswanted.com

I was pestered for over a year after by one particular owner and yes, that was a real libido dampener!
Mouse wrote:having read and digested MGs approach, I'm also doing a 2 page pdf 'mini' brochure I will send each enquirer so they can print it off for the rest of the party.Mouse
x
Wherezat Mousie please? :)
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

For next year, having read and digested MGs approach...

Um. me too - what did I say?

MG
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

We are finding emails are not getting thru (sent via outlook exp and hotmail) so will now confirm via text if mobile number left.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.