How much time does it take to rent all the time in the year?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Aw shucks, I thought you'd got your own up and running without telling anyone!! :wink:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise wrote:Aw shucks, I thought you'd got your own up and running without telling anyone!! :wink:
No; it's a might do, could do, should do for this Winter. We'll see! I hear how Personal Websites are helping some others but I remain to be completely convinced for myself.

In the meantime, the Listing Sites are producing what I need even with just a few lousy pictures.

Alan
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

" Personal Websites are helping some others"
They can't do any harm, Alan - I put lots of photos on a wanadoo diy site, I direct enquirers to this & they are usually persuaded to book. No links, google will never find me, but it's worth my time to pay a few big sites to maintain visibility.
Best,
Alexia.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Alexia,
...I put lots of photos on a wanadoo diy site...
For me, that would be one of the most important features.

At the moment I am involved with a house being built next door to me. I am preparing a weekly report of progress, with photographs, for the owner who lives in England. It's sort of OK doing it through the e-mail system but his ISP limits the size of attachments which means I have to optimise the photographs before sending. It's all a bit of a pain. How much easier it would be just to post it all to a Personal Website where he could view, save or print whenever he wanted.

Alan
enid

Post by enid »

Try www.flickr.com/ - it's free and the optimising is done for you - it's saved me a lot of time.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Enid,

Thank's for the tip. I am aware that there are depositories on the Web for this sort of thing, it's just I've never got round to using them.

Alan
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Alan,
Why don't you create a website with wanadoo? It's free & easy & you can put on up to 72 photos - which you can change every day....
Best,
Alexia.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Alexia,

I might just do that, maybe with wanadoo, maybe with wanadon't.

Alan
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Alan,
My New Year advice: even if you don't wanna, do it.
It will take you 20 minutes & all your photos will be there for enquirers.
Happy New Year!
Best,
Alexia.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

OK you guys. I am now seriously thinking about getting a domain name and arranging web hosting.

I will want my own website name, not something tagged onto an ISP address. I will want lots of space for albums of pictures. I will want simple but comprehensive reporting. I'm sure I'll want plenty others things but I don't know what they might be.

Does anyone have any experience of Easyspace.com? It looks like a one-stop shop but is it what I should be looking for?

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Will I become un-Fluffy in the process?

Alan
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I don't know anything about Easyspace.com, But I can tell you that fluffy.uk.com is available
Cheers
PC
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul,

I not quite sure that fluffy.anything is quite what I have in mind - nice thought though. On the other hand it might attract attention on the basis of "what the Hell's all that about?". Easyshare has a domain name availability search so I can play with the name to my heart's content.

Have you taken a look at the Easyshare offerings? If you have, do you think they look OK? Cost is not the prime issue although I don't like throwing money away.

Thanks.

Alan
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I use http://www.123-reg.co.uk and its never gone down, the price is ok, so I have never felt the need to shop around. I did have a quick look and it looked ok to me. This a very competitive market and I think most of these company's are offering roughly the same things...give or take.
Cheers
PC
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul,

Thank you for that link. At first glance it offers "the lot" as well.

I really must get started soon so does anyone else have any suggestions please? What to look for and where to find it?

Alan
marcus

Post by marcus »

123-reg has always served us well, but I am currently moving sites off there because it doesn't support PHP. Would you care? Maybe not. I think CGI is not well supported also - I don't remember FormMail etc being provided as standard, unless it has been added recently. Very good for a 'standard' host however.

http://ukwebsolutionsdirect.co.uk/hosting.php is good and includes everything you could want.

I recently changed to use acewebhosting.com which also seems reliable.

These latter two are more hands on than 123-reg.com hence slightly more complicated to use.

Cheers
Marcus