What is the best method to accept payment?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
LisaE

What is the best method to accept payment?

Post by LisaE »

I would think that being able to accept credit and debit cards would be the best solution for most people, and the safest for the owner. Although I've searched this website (I just joined), and also VRBO.com, I can't find any specific information on this subject.

What do you use and why? If you accept credit cards, who do you do this through, and what does it cost? I called my bank, Wells Fargo, and they told me this type of business (vacation rental) was "Restricted", and there was a 99% chance that they wouldn't allow it. She suggested Card Services International. I did call them, but it costs $20/month PLUS 2.5% per charge amount.

Any advise will be appreciated! Thanks,

Lisa
If you're willing to take the chance, somewhere on the other side is something amazing.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

"What do you use and why?"
Lisa,
The one bank I won't use is Wells Fargo - and if you do, I guess you don't have to make overseas payments.
There is tons of info on this subject here - if you read the old posts you'll find it all. Good luck!
Best,
Alexia.
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Lisa,

I have posted a couple of links to previous threads here, although you can also use a site "Search" to find many others.

Good luck.

viewtopic.php?t=238&start=0
viewtopic.php?t=839&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
viewtopic.php?t=612&highlight=paypal
viewtopic.php?t=239&start=0
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
LisaE

Post by LisaE »

Thank you both for your replies.

I have read through all if threads reddevil provided, and am looking further. But I know someone mentioned VRBO's CC solution. I will be joining next week once I've finished furnishing it and can some decent pictures. However, I haven't found any information on their website. Perhaps it is no longer available??

My property is in the US (State of WA), and I anticipate most of my guests will also be from the US. After reading all the threads on this website, it looks like PayPal or VRBO's option would be my best options. I just don't know what VRBO's option is - or if it's still available.

Thanks again!
If you're willing to take the chance, somewhere on the other side is something amazing.
paolo

Re: What is the best method to accept payment?

Post by paolo »

LisaE wrote:She suggested Card Services International. I did call them, but it costs $20/month PLUS 2.5% per charge amount.
That sounds pretty competitive to me. It depends on how many bookings you are going to handle, but I would rather pay that than the 3.9% commission PayPal take from me. You could up your rates 2.5% and call the annual $240 the price of the increased convenience for yourself.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
debk

Post by debk »

I use WorldPay.com. Expensive but extremely convenient.