Mosquittos around outside dining areas

For anything to do with the garden and pool
ianthy

Mosquittos around outside dining areas

Post by ianthy »

Hi

We enjoy our outside dining area but would like a few less mosquittos. We have tried the usual citronella with some success.

What do other owners do to limit mosquittos around outside dining areas?

Thanks
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We go to the Alps, there are no mosquitoes at 1500m. I remember burning mosquito coils in Spain.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Do you have electric sockets near where you eat/relax? If so use the plug ins...they most definitely work.

If not have pots of basil around the area...they hate the stuff and won't come near.

Sit where there's a breeze. Mosquitoes can only fly at 8mph and so can't cope with breezes. They prefer still evenings.

A trick they recommend here is to smooth on oil (olive oil) as mosquitoes don't like to land on oil. Not sure if that works.

Failing all that just spray yourselves with insect repellent. We always leave a bottle of that for guests, though many do seem to like burning the citronella tealights in the candles.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

A trick they recommend here is to smooth on oil (olive oil) as mosquitoes don't like to land on oil. Not sure if that works.

Sounds plausible, Mousie. I'd not be very keen on the idea :lol:
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

We have a whole array of solutions but happily this year not too many mosquitos!

Apart from all the conventinal stuff as detailed above, you can get great little patches for wrists and ankles, wipes for all over, and (best of all) Avon Skin so Soft oil which they hate!
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I ordered 2 bottles of that before we headed off to the Scottish highlands........it arrived the day after we left home...... :roll:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."