New to Rentals...can we pick your brains!!

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
DebRay

New to Rentals...can we pick your brains!!

Post by DebRay »

Hi All
We are new to this forum and the holiday rental scene. We've bought a 3 bed townhouse holiday home on the Silver Coast and busy in the " furnishing" stage . We are planning to hire a van and drive over with a few pieces of surplas furniture we have in the UK, along with anything else that's worth buying in the UK as opposed to PT.
I've been most impressed with the quality of advice i've read so far so hence the post!
If anyone can answer any of the following we'd love to hear from you
In no particular order.......

* Do British electrical items such as TV's, lamps etc work in Portugal? Can we convert to EU plugs withoug having to use adaptors?
* How do we go about connecting to Freeview? Any ideas on cost?
* What items are more expensive in PT as opposed to UK? - have heard cookware is pricey
* Which is the best holiday rental site...ie. owners direct, holiday lettings?
* Home insurance for holiday lets
* Is Tax payable on rental income to UK or Portugal taxman, and what can we offset?
* Rental management companies - any recommendations for the San Martinho area?
* Any good furniture shops in the area?
* Leather sofa V Fabric sofa? Have heard horror stories about stained sofas due to sunan lotion and wet swimming costumes!

I'm sure there are more questions i should have asked so feel free to nudge us if you think we've forgotten something really important

Many thanks
DebRay :D
e-richard

Re: New to Rentals...can we pick your brains!!

Post by e-richard »

I'll have a go at some of them:

* Do British electrical items such as TV's, lamps etc work in Portugal? Can we convert to EU plugs withoug having to use adaptors?
Yes, everything should work. PT is on the same voltage as UK. You can cut off the UK plugs a rewire EU style ends on.
* How do we go about connecting to Freeview? Any ideas on cost?
Look into getting a satellite dish and Sky box. Strat up cost can be as high as €600 including installation, box etc. Check for local suppliers. Sorry, we're in the Algarve - a long way away!
* What items are more expensive in PT as opposed to UK? - have heard cookware is pricey
Its usually less a matter of price and more of availability. Some things are just harder to get.
* Which is the best holiday rental site...ie. owners direct, holiday lettings?
Try hunting this forum for 197 different answers ;-)
* Home insurance for holiday lets
Try Intasure. You can buy in UK for PT properties. Not necessarily the cheapest, but it had the right cover for our needs.
* Is Tax payable on rental income to UK or Portugal taxman, and what can we offset?
a) You do have to pay tax to PT on all your rental income. Allowances are very strict and very limited, but the tax rate is only 15%. An accountant is mandatory !
b) Then, if you are a UK resident, you have to pay tax in the UK as well on all your worldwide earnings.
BUT
c) You can offset your UK tax with the amounts already paid to PT. Again, cannot overemphasise the need for professional advice as we are all very different.
* Rental management companies - any recommendations for the San Martinho area?
I hate to send people away, but there is an excellent forum at expats Portugal, where this and many similar questions are answered quickly
* Any good furniture shops in the area?
as previous question
* Leather sofa V Fabric sofa? Have heard horror stories about
as previous question
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
CSE

Post by CSE »

Further to Richards comments:
1) Check if the are of Portugal has digital TV. If so you can pick up the signal ok but it seems that U.K. decoders only receive the programmes in the dubbed language and you cannot change to the original language. Only use lamps that take screw fittings bayonets are either very hard or impossible to find.
2) There are forums which you can asks more about sat. reception.
3) No idea but crockery is good value for money plus anything locally produced gives that “authentic charm”.
4) No idea and will let others make a comment.
5) If you are U.K. based then have you asked your U.K. broker about this?
6) Are you going to be living and registered in Portugal?
7) No idea for the rest.

BTW welcome to the forum.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
HenleyDon

New to Rentals

Post by HenleyDon »

Hi

Just a couple of comments to add.

I'm located on the Silver Coast and can highly recommend a company which installed our satellite TV system. I'm probably not allowed to advertise, but if you are interested, send me a private message and i'll give you the details.

In terms of leather or fabric sofas, please keep in mind that there can be significant humidity in many parts of the Silver Coast and many properties need to have dehimidifiers running during winter months. We've had problems with all things leather getting mouldy including sofas. Usually they can be saved, but if your property is left empty for any length of time, you could have a problem.
Live the dream!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We have exactly the same pricing model as you, except that we charge €5 per extra person per night - I'd be interested to know how you get on with charging more than that. Although €5 doesn't anywhere near cover the extra costs (we lose half of that in VAT and tourist tax), we do find it low enough to ensure that people always tell us when they want to bring extra bodies.

I have bookmarked your place for the future but have a couple of questions. The kitchen/living room seems quite small? And I am not clear exactly what the view is from the balcony - is it that view of the coast?
Last edited by Margaret on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Forgot to say: I think it is a good idea to change the grey lines on the availability chart to 'available' even if you are not taking bookings that far ahead!