Links.

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Paul Carmel

Links.

Post by Paul Carmel »

I am adding some links to my site, travel and car hire and so forth. I am having a small problem with one of them in that when you visit the Corsica Ferries site it won't let you back button to our site, or if you view it on a Google search the back button won't take you back to your search. Is there a way around this? or am I stuck with it?
Cheers
PC
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Can't you simply get the link page to open in a new window, then when the reader closes it they're back to your site?
Chalky

Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul,

I think that Chalky has given you the definitive answer - have it open in a separate window.

Alan
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thanks for that, I will give it a go.....some times the bleedin obvious is right under your nose.......... :roll:
Cheers
PC
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Good idea -- all my external links open in a new window.

Depending on the context, you might want to just let people know that the links will open in a new window. Some people don't like to be surprised with that...
Brooke
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

this is more difficult than it appears.

Lets say you have 30 links and someone opens all of them.

He won't be a happy bunny, if all open in new windows ?

And he may well delete yours by mistake whilst clearing up.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

True, very true...

...At the moment, I don't have that many outbound links on my page. So there's no danger of that for me.

But if I ever did have a lot of them, I would probably open one or two new windows at most, and then have the links keep opening in those windows. That way the viewer wouldn't be spammed with lots of new windows...

But you're right, this is a bit more tricky if you have a lot of links.

Someday we will be able to specify that a link should open in an existing separate window, but a new tab. That will be very nice.
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

I would just have the Corsica Ferries one open in a new window, if you are worried about someone opening them all in new windows.

I also have links open in a new window, because I 'think' that marginally more people prefer this than being able to back-button. But a usability expert may have a different view on this.
Paolo
Lay My Hat