Our first 'long term' rental

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Guest3

Our first 'long term' rental

Post by Guest3 »

Well, just took a booking today for a 30 day rental from today until 30 November.

To cut a long story short, I had an email from a couple that had travelled down from northern Spain (today) who had booked 2 apartments in Fuengirola, one for themselves and the other for 3 members of the family who are flying down tomorrow. When they arrived, they could not get into one if the apartments as it was already occupied..indefinitely, a 'cock-up' by the letting agents! So they went off to an internet café to find alternative property...saw our villa, arranged a meet to view and booked, albeit at a 50% discount.

This is our first ever time of letting longer than 2 weeks and this is a new experience for us, so fingers crossed!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

We, too, are in the midst of our first long-term rental -- someone just arrived at the house about 10 days ago and is staying until mid-November.

It's definitely scary! But I haven't heard any horrible things yet, and the property manager is doing regular checkups, so... my fingers are crossed also!
Brooke
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

A month wouldn't worry me. We had some visitors for 5 weeks one year & they were fantastic. It was out of season - I wouldn't do it in-season, but it is a bonus outside this (even at 50% reduction).
Best,
Alexia.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Brooke..being Halloween..yes I'm definitely scared..pardon the pun!

Alexia..thanks for the encouraging words of support.

Must admit, when we have short term holiday rentals I feel very much in control, only because we are there on a Saturday for a change-over or a linen change. However not seeing 'how things are' on a weekly basis is a totally new experience for us.

Will let you know how things have progressed.
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

Lucky you Crystal - just think, at least you won´t have to do all that laundry every week! :wink:

Linda
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Crystal,
In our booking form we state that the pool & gardens will be attended to once or twice a week. We did this because some of our first visitors had difficulty hiding the excess guest when my husband went up one day to check the pool; they were then extremely unpleasant & objected to his being there (!).
If you reserve this right you can drop by during a stay - telephone first if you prefer - and this will reassure you.
Best,
Alexia.
paolo

Post by paolo »

My longer rentals have always been the best. The longest was 8 weeks. They really wanted to immerse themselves in French culture, and in village life, and they looked after the house really well and left it spotless. These are especially welcome in the off-season. One of the side benefits is that thy give my cleaner a little work once a week and therefore make her likelier to stay with me (good cleaners who will work on Saturdays are like gold-dust round here).
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Lucky you Crystal - just think, at least you won´t have to do all that laundry every week!
......and no cleaning for 4 weeks..!! :D
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Good cleaners who will work on Saturdays are like gold-dust everywhere. Good cleaners are even rarer than gold-dust where we are: we found several grains of gold dust in our river in September; "several" is already more than the number of good cleaners we have found.
PS I've now added "gold-hunting" to the activities available. Really.
Best,
Alexia.
paolo

Post by paolo »

alexia s. wrote:I've now added "gold-hunting" to the activities available.
An excellent idea.
Paolo
Lay My Hat