Website Review - Multi-Property Angst

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
debk

Website Review - Multi-Property Angst

Post by debk »

On the "add a blog" forum I recently mocked-up a blog-based site. Performance was horrid but it successfully served as a catalyst for some new ideas. So here's a website using boring old css/html.

http://www.VisitingPortugal.com/secure/ ... /index.htm

One struggle for me is to maintain the personal "by owner" flavor of the site as the number of properties grows. The more properties, the more pages, the more text... and suddenly I'm putting myself to sleep.

How to organize and provide details without overwhelming?

(NOTE: The only property link that works is CASA JOAQUINA. The video link does not work. One calendar is truncated in IE. etc.)

I would greatly appreciate feedback on overall layout and tone before spending any more time on this format. What works for you, what doesn't? Why?

Many thanks!
debk
ps-My monitor exploded so I did this on a laptop. Hope the colors/fotos aren't too off.
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

I'm a bit confused. It's an HTML site that looks like a blog - at least on my 1280 x 1024 resolution! My other first impressions were that the images take a looong time to download and that the colour scheme is a little too calm and not sufficiently inspiring to make me look further.
Chalky

debk

Post by debk »

Thanks, Chalky. Looks like I need to compress the pics further. Most are under 30k but I guess that isn't good enough.

"Calm" is a definite theme, so I think the colors might be appropriate for my market... will wait for some more feedback on that one...

I'm very curious: what makes you say it looks like a blog?

Thanks again for your comments. Very helpful!
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Deb,
I'm very curious: what makes you say it looks like a blog?
On my resolution there is quite a lot of blank space either side of the main 'column' of text and graphics, and the navigation bar looks a bit 'blog-like', and I've been looking at a lot of blog templates lately, trying to find one to use for my own blog, so I guess I'm in 'blog mode' :?
Chalky

alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Deb,
I think that more than 3 properties changes the ball-game altogether: you lose the private owner aspect. This probably doesn't make any difference financially but could modify your public.
I decided not to add another lodging to our property which already has 3 plus our private accomodation, on the grounds that it would become less up-market (more like "Butlins", if you know what that means!). We do have another property in another town, but I always advertise it separately & when I see that a web-site includes it as "Other properties by this owner" - VRBO does this, for ex - I am slightly dismayed. It gives a commercial taste that I would rather avoid.
At the moment you have 3 properties in Lisbon and others outside Lisbon - why not have 2 web sites (with a link)? I find that there is too much information as your site as it is now - but then, I am impatient.

BYW, on my i-book the photo on the availability page looks sinister: a streetscape full of shady figures - I wouldn't want to walk there. The other photos are great.
Best,
Alexia.
debk

Post by debk »

Ah, Chalky, blog-mode I understand. Typepad is too slow and has been down a couple of times since I started playing with it a few weeks ago. Blogspot/blogger doesn't seem quite flexible enough. So I'm still searching.

As for the white space on each side of the text, I just like the way that looks. Easier on my aging eyes.
Alexia wrote: why not have 2 web sites (with a link)?
Very thought-provoking, Alexia. Indeed.

I rather like VisitingPortugal as one hub... though maybe it's not as valuable as I believe. At the least, I will put in separate links: "Lisbon Properties" and "Non-Lisbon Properties." 3 on one page, 3 on another. And I'll think more about the dual-site approach...

As for the photo on the availability page, I'll swap that out. Pity, as it's a lovely street, but "sinister" is definitely NOT part of the overall theme. (A truly sinister photo is the temp one on the incomplete faqs page.)

Handling all the information is an ongoing challenge. At first, I was terse. Then I reviewed the info requested in guest emails and added such to the site. It was too much for me but more guests than I ever expected thank me for the details provided online. (I can see upcoming visitors crawling and crawling thru the pages, especially the neighborhood info and a photo-tour which is not yet on the mock-up site. Very cute to know they are excited about their upcoming trip.) Plus the little that I've read about SEO indicates that search engines, like the people they hope to serve, don't want you to skimp with the details.

Alexia, did the colors turn you off? I wonder if my laptop is presenting peaceful blues when reality is different?

It's a holiday here today. Hope I get a chance to implement some of this feedback from you both. Much appreciated!
debk
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Typepad is too slow and has been down a couple of times since I started playing with it a few weeks ago. Blogspot/blogger doesn't seem quite flexible enough
I've installed Wordpress, which I am slowly getting to grips with. It's free and has lots of templates (skins) available so you can probably find a 'look' which suits you. The installation can be a bit of a nightmare, but they have a good web forum if you need assistance.
Chalky

alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

"As for the photo on the availability page, I'll swap that out."
Can't you get the same street with sun and light?
Best,
Alexia.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

ps Colours are fine, Deb - it was just that photo which was negative.
Best,
Alexia.
debk

Post by debk »

Yes, I should try to re-shoot the photo... but first I'll see what else is sitting in the images folder. I have hundreds that I had to take for the 80 Homes show. And I'm lazy. :oops:

I'm still thinking about your comments regarding the number of properties per site. You've definitely hit upon the issue: how to retain the personal touch on the website, because we very much do with the properties themselves!

The extra properties are just not that much work. (People say this about children but I never believe them.)

So... I'm pondering and invite others to join me...
1. Would breaking into two property links help? eg, Lisbon/non-Lisbon

2. Does a one-stop-site have value? Versus having two separate linked sites?

We've been invited to a home-cooked "gourmet" dinner tonight by one of our guests. Nice perk!
debk
heavenlyhartwell

Re: Website Review - Multi-Property Angst

Post by heavenlyhartwell »

I love the site. I think if you continue on with in the current vein, it will be very user friendly and easy to navigate. It still retains an owners' touch, but at a professional level, which is what most people want, I think. Great work!
Earth to Lisa, Come in Lisa
debk

Post by debk »

Thank you, Lisa. That is very encouraging... and right on time. Had a long day.

Hope to take another tackle at it later this week. I'm keeping a list of the great suggestions from here, friends, etc. Extremely helpful to get new eyes on the site.

I'm much obliged to all. (Any other ideas/suggestions always very welcome!)
debk
paolo

Post by paolo »

Deb,

It looks really good but I haven't had time to look around it properly and word a reaction - will do when I can. I am facing the same challenge now for my neck of the woods, so maybe I will just hang on to your coat-tails!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
debk

Post by debk »

Paolo, you have the same challenge as in presenting multiple properties? If so, how many now? And how many might be max?

There are some sites (ParisPerfect, LisbonPerfect) that I believe retain the "we are private owners with just a few choice places" feel quite nicely. Unfortunately, I find their navigation a tad too confusing.

Hope to hear any feedback you have time to throw out. I'm making (yet another) list of to-dos from all this... but enjoying it as changes seem more valid/interesting coming from others.
debk
paolo

Post by paolo »

Deb,

My challenge is like yours in presenting a lot of local information (eventually), plus an increasing number of rental properties for that location.

At the moment I am at 5 properties, and who knows what the future holds? My thinking is along your lines at the moment, except I have the accommodation in the right-hand column.

Right now, time seems to be something that happens to other people. :)
Paolo
Lay My Hat