"About Us" - an introduction to the owner

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Giddy Goat

"About Us" - an introduction to the owner

Post by Giddy Goat »

"About Us" - do you think it's a good idea to include a few lines on your personal website about yourselves? Does it help, make no difference, or might it even put some people off?!
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

In my opinon I think its a bit naff. they want to rent your property not be your mates.
Cheers
PC
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

I agree with Paul.
Chalky

Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

It is interesting being mysterious! On the occasions when we have met guests they've commented that we are much younger than they imagined :)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks Paul and Chalky. I'm on the fence, but 'im indoors would definitely be on your side. I have to admit to a certain curiosity when I see an 'About Us' tab on someone's site, followed of course by the immediate click. Without seeking to sound sexist, is this a girlie thing?

Come on girls - let's have your views! Or perhaps we should put this to a poll?
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

- oops! Soo must have been typing her reply at the same time as I was. The post notification arrived in my inbox just as I hit the submit button!

OK, so maybe it's not a girlie thing, we'll see - if anyone else responds to this thread. North Americans seem to favour them ... are there any North Americans out there to comment?
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I suppose the nearest I get to that is my links page (which I've just noticed isn't linked properly from my last update a few days ago :oops: http://www.lilycottagebelford.co.uk/links.htm) I have non cottage related links on there, just self indulgence really and also cos I read somewhere here that it helps the ranking of sites to link them?? It doesn't get many hits though :)

I've had a couple of people who have booked comment on my choice of authors and bands and we've happily exchanged emails on the topics.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I think it can be naff or reassuring, depending on how it is handled.

Remember that this business of finding your holiday accommodation online is still pretty new, and for many people the internet is like the wild west, unpoliced and unaccountable.

Showing a mugshot of the owners is one way of reassuring people that you exist, and so does your property. I use the pic in my avatar here, and no text, and I put it on the Contact page.

If you don't do that, I would at least talk in the first person on your site somewhere (e.g. "I/we love the calamari at this restaurant").
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks Paolo, both suggestions sound good to me - though perhaps I'll wait until my course of electrolysis is completed before posting the pic.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
paolo

Post by paolo »

A light beard is not a feature to be ashamed of.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Paolo, depends on whether you're male or female - even goats have their pride.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Paolo,
I don't want to state the obvious (for heaven's sake, don't you recognise a nanny-goat when you see one?), but Jane is a girl and may be sensitive about her beard.
Jane, I think you're right to wait for the electrolysis to be completed (unless you're going to wear a hat, get them to check your ears).
Best,
Alexia.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

This whole beauty thing is beginning to look expensive - I must either have a custom made hat, or sign up for ear reduction surgery.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

We don't have an about us section but do include a photo of us in the photo album. My main reason is that they then see us as real people, the photo also includes our two children when they were younger. My reason for adding the photo is that we become real to them and not just email correspondents. The hope is that because of this they may treat our villa with more respect or own up if any damage is done etc rather than hide it. Whether or not it would make an iota of difference to them though is another matter. I had never considered if it was naff or might put people off though so more food for thought.
Always Learning
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Hanorah - yes, I agree, a personal photo or two may well help - without text, as you say. I think text which includes something about the owners is interesting and appropriate if the property has been renovated by them, and they add the odd anecdote or two about this 'journey', plus a before and after shot.

The pics on our website aren't set up as an album as such, so maybe an avatar as Paolo suggests,next to the contact details. Of my best side. Looking chilled. After the treatment ....
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.