"10 emails and it's a red card" say gite owners

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
J&J

"10 emails and it's a red card" say gite owners

Post by J&J »

I read on another Brittany site this week that gite owners were passing on or striking off potential customers who sent more than 10 emails asking about the property, payment etc.
I would have thought that in this day of scams and price comparison the guests would be entitled to ask as many questions as they liked by email before booking.
As an example, I am ordering wedding invitations for our daughter this week and I have already sent 4 emails (all of which have been answered patiently) regarding design, payment and availability, and this is for a fraction of the cost of a week in a gite.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I agree. I often have guests apologising about how many emails they have sent me but I assure them that they should send as many as they want to. Americans visiting Europe for the first time, for example, can need a lot of handholding and can be embarrassed about asking what may seem simple questions. I am happy if i can help them.
Annew

Post by Annew »

We unfairly refer to this type of guest as "needy" although once they actually arrive they are almost always the nicest quietest trouble free guests!

I think my record for email enquiries prior to arrival was 16 or 17, these guests have already re-booked for next year.

IMO in these days of the interweb, it really only takes a minute or two to respond to a query by email.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

Annew wrote: I think my record for email enquiries prior to arrival was 16 or 17, these guests have already re-booked for next year.

IMO in these days of the interweb, it really only takes a minute or two to respond to a query by email.
I've just counted ours- there were 20 emails from one guest prior to arrival! But many of them were short and as Annew says, it doesn't take long to send a reply. They were letting me know about delay in payment due to family bereavement, then he had trouble making bank transfer (he was using the wrong number) etc. Communication rather than queries.

He has also emailed a few times since his return and said they'll be back. No booking yet though! :wink:
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

But, isn't it wonderful that we can sort things out so easily with our guests?

Whether it be a nervous visitor, who needs reassuring about aspects of their trip, or someone who has short-term probs (like a bereavment), or just someone who is restless and curious to know what's what and what is interesting going on . . .

Isn't it brill that we can soothe all their qualms with just a couple of minutes on the ol' e-mail? Imagine doing it by letter and snail mail! :shock: I tell you true, our business would be ten times more difficult, and a hundred times more expensive (think "box adverts in the Sunday Times") without the wonderful, beautiful internet - God Bless Her, and all who sail on her (including that shiprat Carmel, wherever he be now!)

Mols :)
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
pambon

Post by pambon »

I wish I had to reply to lots of queries from potential guests; I'm having generally an ominous silence after I reply to their initial request for avilability :cry:

If an enquirer doesn't then respond within 24 hours, I know it's a no-deal.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Those who are striking people off must have enquiries to burn! We don't often get to ten but we rarely get beyond that without it turning into a booking. Except on one famous occasion when I had someone keep me going into the fifties until I realised she was a nutcase or at best a time-waster :roll:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Most I ever had was 41, most of those after she'd booked! :roll:

Then the last email was how sorry she'd be to lose our chats. :shock: I wasn't. :wink:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
J&J

Post by J&J »

I'm glad you have restored my faith. This is what I read ..........

"a big red flag is an expression which means "danger", as in if someone has to email you 10 times with questions about the gite then he or she may be someone who may be difficult or demanding/unpleasant/crazy.. and you may want to think 2x before becoming involved in a transaction with that person."

In current times when we are taught to question from an early age it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to send several emails to an owner to check on a few things and to establish a mutual trust prior to booking. Calling a potential customer crazy just because they ask more questions than the average just isn't fair. Surely every customer is special and can be afforded a courteous reply whatever their question.

I was certainly shocked that these gite owners could be so judgmental.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
joddle

Post by joddle »

I have just had in residence a family who had never booked a holiday over the internet before. They were very nervous about getting ripped off. After all, having sent their deposit they had no real proof the property even exisited and had read of scam lettings where the person supposedly letting was not even the owner - and they still had their rental to pay! Yes those people were entitled to check it out as much as they needed - and did. There were a great many emails with quite searching questions all designed to help etablish their confidence - I had no problem with that and thought it very sensible of them and supplied them with whatever they felt they required. I know they double checked as they even contacted my local manager to she if she really existed and found out more about the villa. After their holiday they wrote back saying they had a great time and would be booking again year. At the end of the day it comes down to establishing trust - and that has to work both ways - and if you can't be bothered to do that why on earth should people trust you?
Last edited by joddle on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

... passing on or striking off potential customers who sent more than 10 emails asking about the property, payment etc.

Some guests manage happily with a single email to say OK, let's do it; others need reassuring that you're a real person, your property is a real property, their children won't be carried off by wild boars, the tap water is drinkable and they will be spending their hard-earned cash wisely with you. And why not? Ebbs and flows of running a rental business and not a problem for us.

Jim
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Jimbo wrote: Some guests manage happily with a single email to say OK, let's do it; others need reassuring that you're a real person, your property is a real property .....

Jim
Yes I agree with you Jim. I actually prefer lots of emails. Because my apartment is my second home and I only started renting it after my husband died and I'm not on site, I get to build up a rapport with my guests. I find I'm quite nervous with the guests that just ask for my booking form and then send the deposit :? My guests are all older couples and they often need some reassurance that I exist :D
Colin10

Post by Colin10 »

It's called communication.

I guess you would all like to have an one enquiry then a booking.

When people ask questions it shows they are interested and your reply could be the reason they book.

Tip.

Save all your replies....When you are asked the same question again you can just copy and past....Saves alot of typing.
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

[quote=" without the wonderful, beautiful internet - God Bless Her, and all who sail on her (including that shiprat Carmel, wherever he be now!)

As a newbie here I cant help but ask who/what is Carmel and should I be laughing!!! LOL
Kate
USA
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

I also answer any and all emails/questions

I do, however, head off many questions with a lengthy email and attachments at time of inquiry, confirmation and the final welcome packet.

I know this will not allay any fears of scam issues but it surely wards off all of the repetitive FAQ's early on.

I do also slightly agree with the original email .....that said I can (I or think I can) usually tell if the the person needs a bit o handholding or is just a PITA by the tone and if the questions are a bit off the charts!!
Kate
USA