Review: 2BR Lisbon Apartment

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Guerra

Review: 2BR Lisbon Apartment

Post by Guerra »

Hello,

Please review the website, suggestions are welcome.

www.cometolisbon.com

(Photos are provisional)

Thank you.
superpp

Post by superpp »

Hi

On looking at your site using IE6 at work, I got an error which states:
IEPNGFix: Children of positioned element are unclickable <Div id=header>
There was then a big block which wouldn't load next to a picture of some decking?

Also please note it is requested by this forum, that you review some sites already listed in return.
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Hello Superpp,

Thank you for your reply, in fact there was a problem when viewing by IE, it's already solved. I never realised it because in Firefox it was fine.

I've seen Paolo's post and advice to review other users Sites as well, however this was the first time I've built a website, I'm asking for a review because I'm not sure I've done it right...

Kind Regards
pete

Post by pete »

I cant read the text, its too small and dotty, but I am old.

I think you should add the country to the introduction but the layout of tabs is nice and workable.

I appreciate that you will change the photos, but maybe fewer with better angles, and remove the word shed in the description.

Also appreciate that a floor plan is good for rentals but not before the best photos

does that help

pete
CSE

Post by CSE »

Is that review honest? I ask because in your blog you open for business on the 20 August and you have already had a client staying there.

That besides;
A lot of photos do not have alternative text:
Some links take you away from your website, which is not considered a good idea.
The photo on the first page takes time to load. Maybe it is too large?
On the calender there is a Special offer for the August days, but no prices covering the special offer.

The website in general is readable, but a few spelling errors have crept in.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

pete wrote:I cant read the text, its too small and dotty, but I am old.

I think you should add the country to the introduction but the layout of tabs is nice and workable.

I appreciate that you will change the photos, but maybe fewer with better angles, and remove the word shed in the description.

Also appreciate that a floor plan is good for rentals but not before the best photos

does that help

pete
Hello Pete,

Thank you for the suggestions, witch word is correct instead of "shed"? Porch maybe?
pete

Post by pete »

without knowing exactly - I am guessing that the hot tub and the chairs are outside but covered so instead of

' Living Room with door through the Shed, Hut Tub outside.'

try

'View through living room to covered terrace with the hot tub.'

I really am not the most gifted word compiler.

In english 'shed' is at the bottom of the garden filled with lawn mowers and other garden rubbish stuff like old pots etc,

Of course other languages vary.
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

casasantoestevo wrote:Is that review honest? I ask because in your blog you open for business on the 20 August and you have already had a client staying there.

That besides;
Some links take you away from your website, which is not considered a good idea.
On the calender there is a Special offer for the August days, but no prices covering the special offer.

Thank you for the reply,

The review was written when I was building the website, just to avoid having a blank page... already solved.

About the links, I've got a bunch of them in the local info page, that leads to several cultural and interest points in Lisbon, those are useful correct?
The links on the homepage I had to place them so that my website appeared on the Rental Site as well, or to have cost reductions. Do you think it's worth it? For SEO reasons I mean...

Could you identify a few of the spelling mistakes (the major ones)?

TY
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

In my opinion, Lisbon is one of the prettiest and friendliest of the world's major cities.

For your main banner image, I wonder why you chose stark high rise office blocks, which could be downtown, Frankfurt, Chicago or Singapore ?

Why not use one of the more iconic images of the Explorer's Statue or even the Vasco da Gama bridge ?

I know its only artistic imagery to convey a city centre, but surely does not do Lisbon the justice it deserves :D
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
CSE

Post by CSE »

Guerra wrote:
casasantoestevo wrote:Is that review honest? I ask because in your blog you open for business on the 20 August and you have already had a client staying there.

That besides;

Thank you for the reply,

The review was written when I was building the website, just to avoid having a blank page... already solved.

About the links, I've got a bunch of them in the local info page, that leads to several cultural and interest points in Lisbon, those are useful correct?
The links on the homepage I had to place them so that my website appeared on the Rental Site as well, or to have cost reductions. Do you think it's worth it? For SEO reasons I mean...

Could you identify a few of the spelling mistakes (the major ones)?

TY
I am glad to see that you have removed the comments. False statements or photos are not good for your business. Maybe even remove the page until you have some genuine comments?
I do not know if the out going links are bad for SEO or not. But you can amend the code the sites give you to open a new page rather than take you well away from your own site. The links to the tourism sites are good for customers, we also have a few to add to the information about he are we are in. We also have to have a few links to listing sites but they are never on the front page. If the listing site wants that then we never list with them.
Richard has picked up on a good point about your banner.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Hello Richard,

How's the weather down there? 8)

About the banner - regarding some of the facilities we have in the apartment - I intended to symbolize a retreat at the city centre.
I absolutely agree with you about the city spirit, the typical neighbourhoods have got nothing to do with that image... perhaps I have to work on it harder.

About the external links, already managed to make them pop up in a new page, next step will be placing them outside the Homepage.