Renovating plastic garden furniture.

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Jimbo

Renovating plastic garden furniture.

Post by Jimbo »

Apologies to those for whom the mention of plastic in the garden brings them out in a cold sweat BUT:

Does anybody have any hints about renovating plastic-framed garden furniture that has become dull and mottled with black patches that ordinary plastic cleaners won't go near? Expensive furniture is just as vulnerable as the cheaper stuff and white is always the problem - coloured plastics fade but don't mottle.

Extensive googling has thrown up a host of odd products, most of which I'd have no idea how to find. I'd imagine that something abrasive and cutting would be ideal - one guy mentioned 'T-Cut' (the paste you use to renovate car paintwork). Anybody done plastic cleaning recently with success? Or should I consign the whole lot to clog up yet another landfill with non-biodegradeable horrors.

Jim
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Jim, have you got a steam cleaner?
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Grrrr... I think the bin is the answer, much though I'd rather have a solution. I have 6 pool loungers that are totally mottled and black and gungy, nothing seems to clean them up .I also have another 4, bought at same time, same usage, different position, they are as good as new ! I wonder if being near a large acacia tree has contributed to the decline? Don't know, and no help to you, sorry. I shall consign the 6 to landfill :evil: The other 4 live to see another season :D Weird.
Oh, I do clean the 4 happy chairs with that Grosfilex ( sp?) plastic furniture cleaner at the start of each season, but haven't done the 6 unhappy ones. :idea:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Jim, have you got a steam cleaner?
Actually, yes It's a Polti, I think, and did sterling service in the UK, although it hasn't been unpacked since we moved here. Still, it's a good idea that I hadn't considered. Thanks Helen. Finding it may be the problem ...

Jim
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I don't know about a steam cleaner, might work really well but a jet washer doesn't -it's too fierce and takes the top layer off, leaving a grainy texture to the chairs :cry:
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

I must admit I thought all plastic chairs were the same until we bought a set of Grosfillex Vega chairs and table in 2005.

Apart from the odd scratch from wind damage, they still have their 'as new' shine. We always put them inside in the winter months, but all in all, very impressed indeed.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Yes, I have some white Grosfilex chairs and they are still excellent after quite a few years. They were so good I bought another 8 a couple of months ago in a sort of dark beige colour that blend with both wooden, wicker and plastic tables/ chairs.We should be on commission :wink:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

... all plastic chairs were the same until we bought a set of Grosfillex Vega chairs and table in 2005.
Were they expensive compared with similar plastic chairs? Presumably something is added during manufacture to give superior longevity. If so, it begs the question of why other makers don't do the same for outdoor furniture. What's that? Oh, they wouldn't sell so many chairs ...

Jim
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Morning Jimbo,

We bought them as a set 'on promotion', so they were very reasonable. The price I cannot remember.

Last year we saw the Vega chairs on promo and bought another 6 for the pool decking, which gives us flexibility with the garden furniture and good to see they still make the same model, as they all stack. From memory they were 12€ each.

Bobby
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Bought mine this summer, same make, different model, some American name I think, 15 euros ish each.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Bobby wrote: ... as they all stack.
Don't get me started on why plastic chairs won't stack or stick together like footballers at a nightclub when they do.

How comforting it is to be able to discuss garden plastics with like-minded people without fear or embarrassment. My name is Jimbo and I have plastic in the garden. Maybe, in the future, I'll feel able to move on to wood or metal or - oh joy - brushed aluminium but, for the present, one day at a time.

Jim
enid

Post by enid »

We have wood and then I started to add alu and mesh recliners - the guests love them but some of the stitching has started to come undone - got 3 of them out of duty at the mo. Going to try to fix it with some fishing line. The reason I like wood is that it is possible to repair if it breaks and our wooden recliners are in their 7th season
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

HUbby had to repair one of our wooden chairs last autumn after one of the slats had broken
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Jimbo wrote: How comforting it is to be able to discuss garden plastics with like-minded people without fear or embarrassment. My name is Jimbo and I have plastic in the garden.
Jim
Love it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Jimbo said - Don't get me started on why plastic chairs won't stack or stick together like footballers at a nightclub when they do.

It's in the flick of the wrists. 8)

We looked at the aluminium/wood sets again this year (for us) but some of them looked sort of 'tacky'. Either that or soooo expensive, we haven't found a happy medium yet.

Bobby