Post card

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
enid

Post by enid »

My postcards from same source Helen
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I got my postcards from the same source as Helen and Enid - I'm just about to order a second batch as they are very popular. I wouldn't put stamps on them as my guests are from all over the world and I wouldn't have the first idea about the different prices involved.
Colin10

Post by Colin10 »

Helen B

I have an idea for a card that will appeal to the kids using your winter & summer pictures.

If interest could you email me a copy of your card.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

LV, good point. I will point them in the direction of our very friendly La Poste though.
Colin10

Post by Colin10 »

LV

Would you not know from the booking where they are from?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Colin10 wrote:LV

Would you not know from the booking where they are from?
LOL, no, I have no idea until they arrive. The joy of doing everything by email. If I had time, I'd check, but even so, I wouldn't go out and buy their stamps for them. The time I spend queuing in La Poste to send back stuff they leave behind is more than enough for me!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

In any case, the could be sending a PC to anywhere in the world couldn't they? :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I´m having problems finding heavy enough card though (preferably at least 300 gr).
Lorca, Ilford's Galerie inkjet paper (especially the Classic Pearl) is lovely stuff and is around 250g. Not cheap though - around 17-19 GBP for 25 sheets of A4 on the internet - and I've seen it for sale over the counter in big stores here.

Jim
lorca

Post by lorca »

Thanks Jim, I´ll have a look for it.

Really pisses me off about the card though, it has a lovely smooth surface and prints really well. I use it for our little folding business cards too. I´ll keep hunting.
erikg

Postcards a good idea, but only good quality

Post by erikg »

Leaving postcards for guests to use is a good idea, but make sure they are of good quality. We have had proper postcards printed and put a note that they cost 50 cents each, but we give them to guests for free. Some guests like that and send to friends. Viral marketing, if or when it works..... I should add that this has worked better in the past, now some people just send a text message instead of a postcard.

Erik
http://villagecatalan.com
Don't dream your life, but live your dreams.
Village for sale: http://privatevillage.co.uk
welshgirl

Post by welshgirl »

I also leave postcards in the house - they disappear but who know's what they are used for!

I also use them as a sort of "comp slip" when I send the security deposit back and I always carry them in my handbag to hand out to anyone that shows (even the slightest!) interest.

One of the only benefits of not being on site is that I can do local marketing (to me) for my house 300 miles away by leaving postcards in pubs, dentists, osteopath office, Little Gym etc although as yet they have ever bought in an enquiry!
erikg

Post by erikg »

welshgirl wrote:I also leave postcards in the house - they disappear but who know's what they are used for!

I also use them as a sort of "comp slip" when I send the security deposit back and I always carry them in my handbag to hand out to anyone that shows (even the slightest!) interest.

One of the only benefits of not being on site is that I can do local marketing (to me) for my house 300 miles away by leaving postcards in pubs, dentists, osteopath office, Little Gym etc although as yet they have ever bought in an enquiry!
....Good idea to leave postcards around. but do you find clients 300 miles from the house? Most of our clients are 2000 kms away from France (Scandinavia), so we are depending on clients distributing the postcards - or recommending us ...
Don't dream your life, but live your dreams.
Village for sale: http://privatevillage.co.uk
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

We have about four or five different ones made up as greeting cards which we use as notelets whenever we need. They are pictures of the local area but have our website address on the reverse.

I've been meaning to get a postcard of our accommodation done for a while. Probably the balcony shot, but I keep putting it off because I want to get a better shot of the scene.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Was disappointed with my PCs using Vistaprint. Colour wasn't quite as expected - and I'd go for gloss next time. Thanks Colin for the timely reminder!

We also tuck 2 or 3 Vistaprint business cards (was delighted with these) into any correspondence we send to guests, and also leave a supply at the house.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Like GG I also use vistaprint for postcards & business cards and agree the colour can be variable. One batch was so dark you could hardly see anything. Otherwise they are fine. I send the business cards with every paper communication to guests, and leave postcards in the house. My postcards are gloss, but never seem to get used - its going to be a long time before I have to buy any more. Maybe people don't bother sending postcards anymore - I know I never do.