Booked - cancelled - rebooked - same dates...once I had put

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Booked - cancelled - rebooked - same dates...once I had put

Post by Sam V »

Gah!

Back in May I had a booking enquiry for 4 people for October, very pushy for a reduced rate, I did give him a 5% reduction but he pushed for free pool heting too! (I think I may have posted about it here) My final response was a take it or leave it at the rate offered as I was not prepared to offer any other discount that early early in the season, try and book later for a further discount if the dates are still available. Anyway, he accepted the quoted rate and booked.

2 weeks before final payment was due I received an email from the him to say he had split from his girlfriend and would have to cancel the booking. I duely refunded him the deposit paid less an admin fee as per my terms and then decided I would set up an offer on the available dates at a reduced rate to try and re-fill.

A few days ago I receive an enquiry to book the same dates. I had a hunch the name seemed familiar and yes,l it was one of the others on the same booking as previoulsy booked. I sent the booking forms which I have now received back (payment is still due) and low....the same people from the previous booking plus one additional, same flights, etc. Only now they have paid the reduced rate (and he had still asked for a further reduction! :shock: )

Has anyone else had this experience? Should I say anything? I am almost tempted to tell them I dont want their booking, they are 3m, 2f and 24-34 years, from experience my gut feeling is a bit nervous on this lot. :?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

It is possible you may be right to have a bad feeling, Sam - those gut feelings are usually correct.

If you have the deposit from the previous booking, does that mean that they have paid pretty well the same in total as they would have paid in the first place?

If not, and they have calculated that they gain this way, it is a very underhand thing to do and I would be inclined to tell them no dice although at this stage you may be losing the money on the new booking.

If the original booking was for 4 I don't really understand why they needed to cancel just because the girlfriend was not coming - is there one name missing and two new ones on the new booking?

If it is for the week of 23 October you may yet let it as that is half term in UK.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

The original deposit was refunded in full with the exception of a £25 admin fee. They have saved the grand total of £183.50 including pool heating. On the original booking they had booked pool heating and air con, both of which I recently reduced in cost, but they have not added air con this time. There are now 5 guests, previously 4, the same 4 named on previous booking - the orginal name who cancelled the booking and his girfriend! The booking is for 4-11 Oct. Same dates as previous booking and same flights as previous booking. :?

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Sorry Sam, missed the bit about the refund. We don't refund reservation deposits unless we can re-let. I think they are taking the u-no-what.

:shock:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Any suggestions on my next move?

Blanche

Post by Blanche »

Why don't you just ask them why they changed their mind? It may be just that the couple got back together again. If they had cheap flights it is possible they hadn't cancelled them but cancelled the reservation with you because they would have had to commit themselves and the situation was so uncertain.

I really wouldn't think that they had deliberately cancelled the booking with you as there would be a fair chance it would be booked by someone else in the meantime. But ask them!
La Maison du Curé
www.cormatin.eu
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

So am I right in understanding that he told you he was cancelling because he and his girlfriend had spilt up? But now you have confirmation that both he and his girlfriend are on the list of guests for the 2nd booking?
If so then personally I would tell him to take a running jump on the basis that he lied.
I would confront him with this fact, tell him you will not take his 2nd booking and you are refunding the money and they can go elsewhere.

Alternatively you could then say if he still wants to holiday in your place then you will re-instate the original booking at the original price.
Though to be honest I wouldn't do it because of his underhandedness.

As an aside...I do think you were being generous giving him his deposit money back when you hadn't yet got a replacement booking. If you hadn't done that then he couldn't have taken advantage of you. maybe something to think about for the future.

Mouse
x

I'd put it straight back on the market.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I'm with Mouse, Sam. Dishonesty should not be rewarded and I would be very wary of them - if they behave like this over the booking I think you can anticipate more trouble during the stay.

brenda

Post by brenda »

Just in case a temporary break up with his Girlfriend was genuine I would offer him your property at the original rate agreed - with an additional charge for the extra person.

I certainly would not accept the booking at the lower rate as my hunch is they are just being very underhand. I would have very bad vibes on this booking!
Last edited by brenda on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I would politely decline the booking without giving a reason.

Jim
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

Jimbo wrote:I would politely decline the booking without giving a reason.

Jim
I agree! As others have said, he/they seem to be pulling a fast one, booking under one of the other guest's names this time. Trust your gut instinct, refuse the booking and move on! Hopefully you will fill the dates- ther's still a lot of time until October!
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

I would revise the rate to the original agreed, but agree it would make me uneasy about taking them.

And we too don't refund deposits unless we are able to re let to another party
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Go with your gut feeling on this it is normally right.

Depends of course how much you need the booking.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Wow guys! Thanks for all your advice!

We've just completed our first year of renting, so I guess I am very much still a newbie at this business and still climbing that learning curve, am rapidly learning to recognise when something may not be quite right!

I will most certainly take the deposit refund only if re-booked on board.

And for the booking, I'm going to delcilne and refund on the basis of deception. When he originally cancelled I did think it odd, so he was not at his risk of losing any of his full payment. Also there were 4 of them going, the other two could have continued with the booking or asked for a reduction for just 2 of them.

Im now thinking they have planned this from the original to get a late deal off me. I wouldnt even be suprised if they have booked with other villas locally and done the same thing to see which one they could get away with! If they think they can get away with paying me peanuts then maybe they are only monkeys. I really don't want a pack of Bonobos in my villa for a week, it would most likely end up costing me more!

Normandie

Post by Normandie »

It's my first proper year too... and my gut instinct isn't fine tuned yet. I had a booking from a couple a few weeks ago who I couldn't get a "sense" of and was a bit concerned that they might end up taking the pee a bit... because of several reasons that I won't go into here but related to friends and family also renting in the area.

How wrong was I? Totally. Delightful couple and lovely family and they'll probably be bringing APs over in the autumn. Interesting, courteous, super people.

Perhaps your renters' partnership did split up for a time. Perhaps they're habitual splitters-up. Drama queens even. Or they may not be back together but willing to co-exist to use the flights and get a holiday. Just my opinion but I wouldn't get into second-guessing how other people's relationships work... or at least, I wouldn't make a business decision on my interpretation of a personal situation based on no first-hand knowledge. Between cancellation and their request to re-book, how many days / weeks elapsed?

Contrary to the opinions above :oops: , if I would take a booking at the current (lower) rate from A.N.Other who emailed me tomorrow, I think I would probably take the booking from the current party at the same rate. The rate applied when they originally booked and cancelled isn't in place now - it's a new contract. I think it will be difficult for you to enforce the old price. But I may be misunderstanding a vital element of what you feel they're trying to do.

As a pat on the head of my gut instinct though, I might well say that a higher damage / breakage deposit is in now in place so that if they are casual about their behaviour, you shouldn't be out of pocket. You do have terms & conditions, don't you? Perhaps revisit those too and check there's nothing you want to add. I'm coming to the conclusion that t&cs probably wouldn't stand up in court but they are a way of making your expectations and standards clear to potential clients. And make your deposit non-refundable. That focuses minds wonderfully. :wink: You can always choose to refund if the weeks are re-let after you've made your admin costs deduction.

Good luck. :)