New--need suggestions for curb appeal/color advice for cabin

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Melissa in WV

New--need suggestions for curb appeal/color advice for cabin

Post by Melissa in WV »

Hi i am new first post, I am from West Virginia,USA and working on our first vacation rental cabin/cottage--open kitchen living room/dinning room,2 bedroom,bath will sleep 8-photo below--I hope it works lol--I am learning about the VR business and was directed to this site from others and have enjoyed visiting--we have 3 cabins and are starting one this one first see how it works out if we have clients--it is paid in full so all income will go back into the cabins and area--I have more photos if you would like to see them we are by water Middle Island Creek--but it is larger than some rivers and @15 ft deep--we own 1/2 mile of water front---so any advice is welcome
Need suggestions for colors for our vacation rental----we are working on the inside right now and I would like to paint--if the weather would hold up---the cabin and the trim and add shutters and flower boxes-- Should we remove the porch roof--we are removing the railing and adding a deck to the front--any thing else?? Everyone is experienced in making there VR appealing just asking for advice--- curb appeal
and I am thinking about the name Hillbilly Retreat??? Any suggestions??--I can send more photos if you want and photos of area @----I was hoping for advice for this one:) I am going for country chic feel

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.j ... go2qv&Ux=0

Melissa In WV--New album added--check below!!
Visit my dc web site over 35 dc photos.
Welcome.to/lockyourhartonkids

New Kitchen
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=j3ss1aj.2y ... &y=-vgddbo

Master bathroom
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=j3ss1aj.4f ... 0&y=85gmwt

My house and Projects we did
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=j3ss1aj.2r ... 0&y=qxrhv0

NEW!!Our rental house--before/after photos--WOW
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=j3s ... &y=-7qs0bj
A-two

Post by A-two »

Hi Melissa,
Welcome to LMH. Wow, you certainly impressed me with the amount of work you have done, the interior cabin looks great!

I think if I were in your shoes, I would do some serious online research to see what the competition is doing regarding names and exteriors. Also look at the history of WV cabins generally and try and evoke a traditional feel on the exterior by use of natural colors and classic features. My own sense is that you want to keep the exterior as simple as possible. Get rid of the yellow by all means to blend in with mother nature, but keep the porch covering if structurally sound, because people may expect you to have one of those.

A quick search on Google for "west virginia cabin" revealed some interesting comparisons, including photos of a covered porch and deck that looked very welcoming. I would avoid putting in flower boxes since you will not be there to water them every day. More important than decorative features such as flowers would be some additional outdoor seating - a couple of adirondack chairs would look good in the photo, or equivalent patio set commonly used in WV, also a photo of the BBQ area.

If I were looking for a cabin in WV, I would be attracted to one that has all the appearance of a traditional cabin on the outside, yet all the modern conveniences on the inside. It's a win, win combination. I think it would be a mistake to change a classic exterior design too much. People will book it because it looks like what they had in mind, if that makes sense.

On the name question, maybe it's just me, but "Hillbilly" reminds me of Jed Clampit, a straw mattress, and a yard full of rusty old scrap metal, more in keeping with the "before" photos, not the "after"!!!

Your place looks lovely, warm and cosy, with everything needed for a comfortable vacation. I wish you lots of luck.
Waves from America
Melissa in WV

Post by Melissa in WV »

Thanks but the photo album of the interior was of our intown rental--the before and after--it is 100 years old--I only posted the exterior of our country cabin---sorry for the confusion ---I agree with the name--the name can make or break---so I am still debating on the name --country lane retreat--home sweet home---Creek Side cabins--oh I am sure I think of a million before I decide lol--I have 3 altogether and room to make more places so i guess i can give each a name when we add onto them lol--if this works out---I am different in some ways--I will promote the VR--but will be happy to rent some --the places are empty--we bought them because they are beside our summer house---to keep the rift-raft--from buying them and disturbing our peace--to have some control over what goes on---and without making them a VR--we pay taxes on them and insurance--and they sit empty and decline--we love this place --it is where some of my best childhood memories are from--and my husband wants to move here--but I have another business--Daycare--and can not do it from here lol--we want to share a little piece of heaven in WV--oh nice name or slogan--Almost heaven WV
melissa in WV
A-two

Post by A-two »

Melissa in WV wrote:Creek Side cabins
Waves from America
paolo

Post by paolo »

Melissa in WV wrote:
Creek Side cabins

That's the one for me.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Ju

Post by Ju »

I like Creek Side Cabins too.

I agree with the point about keeping the cabins traditional on the outside. Cungure up in your mind the image of a WV cabin, and then recreate it.

Ju
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Just adding my vote for Creekside Cabins!

:)
Brooke
Patia

Post by Patia »

Well, I'm going to register my vote for Creek Side Cabins too . . . before I go and look at the website to see if it lives up to the mind picture that the name conjures up for me . . .

. . . . Oh yes . . . that'll do! What a romantic looking hideaway, and in such a lovely setting - I'd like to see a picture of the creek!

New deck sounds good, and I think I'd want something over the porch, but I rather like the railings actually. Windows seem to need something . . . smaller panes maybe? Or natural wood shutters, but perhaps there's not enough room for those. As to colour . . . well, I'd have thought just the natural wood wherever possible - looks like a place to go and play 'pioneers' to me - but with all mod cons as Joanna says.

Patia
Terry123

Post by Terry123 »

that’s very helpful. Design cabin looks good.