Broad Band Connection

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
centime

Broad Band Connection

Post by centime »

I have just added an ADSL connection facility to one of my apartments via a router from the top floor so that the guests can simply plug the Ethernet cable into their laptop, just like the hotel systems. The connection works perfectly but a recent guest complained that she could not use her Outlook express application on her computer to send out her emails - she had a Hungarian email account set up. She got the incoming emails okay but wanted to have the outgoing mail Pop outgoing whatever for here. My question is can this be done, I thought that when any of us are out our own country we have to log on to our mail account client and access our mail online. Has anyone got an answer to this. :shock: Was the guest just being difficult or was she correct?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Centime,

It may be possible, but it depends on your ISP.

My ISP allows anyone to use their outgoing mail servers, so long as they're actually using a connection provided by them. This means that people can visit me and use my mail server with their laptops (it doesn't check their identity, it just checks that they're coming from my house). But, I can't go on vacation and still use the same mail server, because it's no longer coming from an IP address that the mail server recognizes.

It sounds like this is the sort of thing your guest had. If it's also the sort of thing you have, you can give her your server information and she will be able to send her mail through your server. But then she'll have to change her settings back when she goes home...

...and it won't work at all if your mail server requires a username and password, as some do. I wouldn't give that out, so that would mean that no one could use my mail server but me and, as you said, your guest would have to check her mail on the web.

I used to have this problem nearly every day, as bringing my laptop from work to home or vice-versa forced me to change the send-mail server every time. I solved this with Gmail: I now use my Gmail smtp server as my default, and since I can use that from anywhere (and to send mail from any e-mail address, given that I use my gmail username and password to access the mail server), it no longer matters where I send my mail from.
Brooke